“One of the Finest Restaurants I have Dined At” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canoe Restaurant & Bar

Canoe Restaurant & Bar
54th Floor TD Bank Tower | 66 Wellington St. W, Toronto, Ontario M5K 1H6, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
416-364-0054
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Canoe Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 6,781 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Bay and Wellington Streets
Transit: King and Bay
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the Finest Restaurants I have Dined At”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Canoe is the second best restaurant I have dined at in all my travels.

The atmosphere is chic and is complemented by the stunning views of the city. The restaurant is located on the 54th floor. I had a seat at the window which I requested a few weeks ahead of time. If you want a table close to the window, request in advance.

The bread was the first treat. The bread was a fresh sourdough with panchetta bits and served with a tasty eggplant spread. I was impressed.

For appetizer, I had oysters. There were two different types of oysters: New Brunswick oysters and Prince Edward Island oysters. Both were delicious.

For my entree, I had the Duck. The duck was flavorful and tender. I was pleased.

The plate presentation at Canoe is lovely. The plates are like a form of art.

For dessert, I had a chocolate-sesame sorbet. This dessert was a special. It was fantastic!
I also had espresso. Canoe was the first restaurant I have been too where there are three different types of espresso to choose from.

The service was great as well. The server explained the ingredients in each dish when he put the plates in front of me and always came back to check on me.

Overall, Canoe is the place to eat in Toronto. I can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hamilton, Canada
“Nice Birthday Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated my birthday here in July during Summerlicious. The view alone was worth the trip to Toronto. We were seated facing the window overlooking the Toronto Islands.

The service was impeccable and so attentive. We would like to say a special thank you to the sommelier who surprised me (and the table) with a lovely ice wine with dessert. It's nice to see a restaurant showcase our Niagara Region...some people really miss out.

All four of us really enjoyed our meals. However, we all agreed that the seafood dishes were the stars but the beef entree needed some more flavour.

We would definitely return to explore the normal menu!

Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Outdid our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were entertaining people who had never been to Toronto before and wanted this to be special & it really was. The food and service was absolutely first class and the view was/is spectacular.
A memorable evening. Pricy but worth it for a special occasion.
Call well in advance for the best table.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Isle La Motte, Vermont
“View better than the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Supposedly highly rated but the food was just average compared to the price. Good view of the city. Service was really good but the menu was not extensive and pricey.

Visited September 2012
Toronto, Canada
“A really good restaurant, but not the best as many reviews claim.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We went to Canoe to have a mini celebration, and I was duly impressed with the professionalism of the staff as well as the quality of the food.
The view overlooking the Toronto skyline was very nice too but I would suggest keeping the blinds open all the way and maybe rearranging the seating to highlight it more; it's worth it.

The food menu was varied enough to suit all tastes. We ordered three appetizers including the oysters, the bison capacious, and the two tone romaine. Honestly, the oysters were the only ones that stood out, and even then they still don't beat the oysters at Sterling in Ottawa or 60 Harbor in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, they were delicious, but not quite there yet. Also, if you're gonna go to a 5 star resto, the least they can do is have more than one lemon slice on the oyster plate.
The two tone romaine (basically a Caesar salad with grilled eel)could have been a highlight if they had more of the dressing in there. It was delicious but dry. Dry salad? Not good. But thst dressing was beautiful.

For the main, I had the Skate and my date had the Ceviche. Both dishes were very very good, and I can honestly say that I have never tried such good Ceviche. The flavors migrate from citrusy to sea-foodish in such a gradiented progression. I had to steal another piece from her just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. Amazing Ceviche. Obviously it was a tiny portion because it was from the tasting menu but the quality was unparalleled.
My skate was equally good, with a mixture of tastes that - on paper- would seem unruly. Kudos to the chefs for experimenting and hitting the nail on the head.

The dessert menu had good variety as well, but we both found the Red Velvet cake lacking in taste. I am not a fan to begin with, but my date is a self-declared Red Velvet cake expert, and she verified that, yes, it lacked in taste.

Overall service was good, if not overly prompt. I suppose that's a good thing at a 5 star resto.

The decorations are very nice but I was hoping for something a little dimmer and cozier. This is not a criticism at all and I would certainly come back here for a business dinner to impress a client. For a romantic evening, I still would go with a more subdued atmosphere. Again, this is very subjective.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere