“Back to doing what it does best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barberian's Steak House

Barberian's Steak House
7 Elm St | Blue Jay Way, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1H1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 597-0335
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Stirling, Canada
“Back to doing what it does best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you want really good steak, with limited but excellent sides, served in a delightfully old-fashioned environment, this is the place. Big hunks of meat, cooked to perfection and good service. Not cheap, but then you are talking really good steak!

Visited May 2013

76% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Great Service, Wines (!!!), Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nestled within Toronto's Elm Street restaurants, a visit to Barberian's is a must if your wallet is deep. I was lucky enough to be treated by my work for an event. I'm also a lacto-ovo vegetarian, so I checked the menu ahead of time to be sure there was something I could eat. I happened to also be going through a detox at the time and the staff were exceptionally accommodating in ensuring that my meal adhered to my dietary restrictions. I had the halibut, which was juicy and fresh. My co-workers seemed to thoroughly enjoy their steaks! Unfortunately, because of my detox, I could not enjoy the wine, but the aromas were amazing and there is a downstairs wine cellar which is apparently incredible. Highly recommended for a special occasion :)

Visited May 2013
Warkworth, Canada
“Old school at its best...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you're looking for an "impress your date, flashy, upscale" place...this isn't your place to haunt. My Dad was friends with Harry Barbarian years ago, bragged about it as a kid, took me to my first Leaf game in 1969 ...and took me there. I recently went there with my GF, we are in our 50's...the decor was old, Victorian, almost "pub-like".....it was relatively noisy with chatter...the place was full......which is more than I can say for many TO restaurants....I liked the atmosphere. We ordered the Chateaubriand for two. Why not? It's a goddamn steakhouse that claims to serve the best...and it was NOT DISAPPOINTING. The sides were ok..but the steak was PERFECTLY med rare to rare. It melted in my mouth. My GF was a little 'buzzin' after a GREAT well priced bottle of Amarone and was 'escorted' to a more private washroom when she needed it. The waiter was at least 50-60 yrs of age and told us he had worked there for 2 decades....I believed him. He was a TOTAL professional. The owner (the SON of my Dad's friend) greeted us on the way out, and upon REMEMBERING his Dad's friend (my Dad)..gave us a bottle of his house steak spice and took car of our cab. The history of this place is legendary. Give them a shot. I loved it.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Whitby, Canada
“Good Food and Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The steak was good and was cooked to perfection. The service is also good but could be better considering the prices. Extensive wine list that caters to all tastes and income levels. The garlic bread is delicious but the veggies would be better if served fresh instead of pickled. Ambiance ranges from intimate to loud and obnoxious it is better suited to a night out with friends than a quiet romantic night. The lighting is subdued but adequate to be able to see your meal. The biggest drawback are the relatively cramped quarters and tiny washrooms though they are very clean.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pickering, Ontario, Canada
“Downtown Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Vegetarians need not apply. Barberian's has been a steakhouse favorite in Toronto for over fifty years. Located centrally off Yonge Street, it's a great place for an early dinner before a show, a place to bring an important client, a loved one for a special occasion, or just to have a great dinner with some good friends.

This is not a Keg or other franchise 'Steak' restaurant. Our reservations were kept, we were greeted and seated in a friendly and timely fashion. Our server was helpful and attentive but not bothersome. The table was in a nice room filled with Canadian character. Art, artifacts, antiques and other unique things are housed in the restaurant.

There is a cellar with over 30.000 bottles and I think some 3000 different varieties(we sampled a few!).

Dinner service was timed well, not hurried but never wondering where your food was. Appetizers, steaks, desserts and cheeses were all very well prepared with excellent ingredients. Main courses start at 30 but are closer to the 50-55 dollar range.

There is also an aftershow menu for people coming from the theaters, but we were there as a prequel to a night out on the town. This is probably not a restaurant for weekly dining for most, but for anniversaries, special occasions or monthly night outs it is well worth a go.

A simple meal for two 150+. Two couples as we were, starting a night on the town with apps, mains, desserts, drinks and wine was 700 with tip.

• Visited October 2012