“Pricey, but excellent prime rib!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barberian's Steak House

Barberian's Steak House
7 Elm St | Blue Jay Way, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1H1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
(416) 597-0335
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Oakville, Canada
“Pricey, but excellent prime rib!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

An invitation to a private function had me at Barbarians for the first time in several years. As the function was ending, we decided to have dinner at the restaurant. The staff was very friendly, and yet they still were professional in their duties. No detail was overlooked. I ordered the prime rib, rare. It was absolutely done to perfection. Each bite was a pleasure. This easily ranked as one of the best prime ribs I have had anywhere! My companions were also very pleased with their food. Too often, what could be a perfect evening is ruined by the quality of the food, bad service or both. I am glad to say that this occasion at Barbarians was as good if not better than the experience I had the last time I was there. The quality of food and the service was very good indeed. Just be prepared to pay for it as it is pricey!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“So disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Not being a Torontonian, I had done a lot of research for a steakhouse for my boyfriend (BF)’s birthday. Reviews for Barbarians seemed good so I made a reservation for 8:30 on a Friday 3 weeks in advance. We showed up at exactly 8:30 with about 3 other couples arriving within 2 minutes of us. We were all told there was about a five minute wait and they gave us some bubbly wine to compensate. BF and I thought that was a nice touch since 5 minutes was not a long wait. 30 minutes later, one pair of couples were seated while the line up at the door continued to grow and we were anxiously, hungrily waiting for our table. The other two waiting couples were seated before us and then around 9:10 we were finally brought to our table by the manager who said “I will take care of you to ensure a special evening”. We were brought to the worst table in the whole restaurant right in front of the kitchen where you can see and hear everything. We saw another table being cleared and asked to move. The waiter gave us attitude but allowed the change. Once seated we waited another 10 minutes for menus, water, bread and dill veggies. I was driving so I chose not to drink (also high wine prices). BF ordered a vodka (not premium) which we found out cost $13.00. We ordered our meal (shared ceaser salad, filet mignon & NY Sirloin. The salad came out on two plates but we were not offered some fresh pepper. It had a decent taste but was nothing special. About 10 minutes later the food came out (a bit quick for my liking being at a “fancy” steakhouse). Bf’s steak tasted completely burnt with no flavor so we asked to send it back. Their excuse “it’s charred”. Our response, it’s burnt. My steak was over cooked and had zero flavors. Disappointing. Tried to wait to eat with BF when his steak came out but it was taking twenty minutes. The baked potatoes (I asked if I could switch to mashed and was told “no substitution) were cold and drenched in toppings. We asked for a bit of bacon and the cheese to add flavor but there was more of the toppings than there was potato. The second steak received was not much better than the first. Not once did anyone come to ask how the food was or if it was better. Halfway through the eating of the steaks I realized our water had also not been filled in at least 15 minutes. I kept trying to get a waiters attention but kept getting ignored to the point where I went to the bar to get my own water. We were so disappointed. I had also called the day before to remind them it is for a birthday for the gentleman I will be with. They did bring a “cake” at the end which ended up being the apple beignets. They basically throw it on the table and mutter happy birthday. They also gave it to me instead of my boyfriend even after clear instructions. The dessert was also disappointing as it was not a donut but an apple shaped as a donut with way too much cinnamon. The bill arrived without being asked if we wanted tea or coffee or anything else. I noticed that the steak was not removed from the bill which would have been a nice touch. Everything, including the dessert was charged which I was upset about especially after our horrible experience. The manager never came to see us or ask how the meal or evening was even though we noticed him schmoozing with other guests. We were certainly not “taken care of” as earlier told. At this point I decided to tell the manager about our experience. I started with “I will be paying for this meal but this is what happened and why we had a negative experience” and before he even let me continue he took the bill, said don’t pay, don’t come back and please leave. What terrible customer service. Not only will I never go back but I will make sure no one I know or ever speak to goes there either. The birthday meal was completely ruined. Other than the pickles we were utterly disappointed and have nothing positive to remember from Barberian’s. For the price you are better off going to the Keg (less money, better service and way better food) or spending more and going to one of the nicer steakhouses like Ruth Chris, Morton’s or Jacobs. Stay far away from Barberian’s unless you want an evening of annoyances and disappointment.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Pickering, Canada
“disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

steak was not cooked as ordered and was sinewy. Ambiance sucked !! Took my Italian mother-in-law as a treat before the theater. She rarely eats out but when she does she always orders steak.

Richmond Hill, Canada
“NOT AS GOOD AS BEFORE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I ordered 'rare' striploin pepercorn steak, and it came medium rare. My daughter and friend order Prime Rib 'rare' and they were medium and tough. The asparagus were over steamed. The baked potato was not piping hot. The Lamb was a bit overdone. The cheesecake was a bit too dry.

Everytime a dish was put on the table, we say 'thank you' to the waiter, and each time his reply was 'hmmm'
I showed my steak to the waiter, and asked him whether it was 'rare' or medium, and he replied 'medium rare', when I asked for 'rare'. No apology from him.

the place was drafty and cold.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Second time in and perfect as usual!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can no longer visit Toronto without getting to this place.

Our waiter was among the most attentive I've ever had, even running into the cold winter to fetch us a cab.

This time I had the filet along with mashed and it was amazing. I cannot speak well enough of this place.

Visited February 2013