“Competent but no WOW factor for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pangaea Restaurant

Pangaea Restaurant
1221 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario M5R 3P5, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
4169202323
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pangaea Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Bay and Bloor
Transit: Subway Stop, Across from Pangaea
Description: Pangaea is a two-tiered restaurant with an eighteen foot high ceiling, situated on Bay Street in the heart of Bloor/Yorkville. Established in 1996, Pangaea can seat 150 guests, and has Private Dining areas that can accommodate groups of 8 – 150. The eclectic menu has a Canadian sensibility whilst taking ideas from around the world. The service is gracious, thoughtful and unpretentious, and the wine list boasts a balanced profile of over 200 different wines. The restaurant caters both to a business clientele and to social gatherings.
Ontario
“Competent but no WOW factor for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

4 of us ate there on a Saturday night. Lovely atmosphere .. we could have a nice conversation. Great wines. Apparenly, I'm told by local foodies that top care is always taken for the quality of the food. I have no argument with the quality of the food or the cooking. Each dish was perfectly cooked. However, there was no 'wow' factor .. nothing especially interesting considering the price. $15 for a garden salad? Ok, it's February but really, it was quite small and just some mixed lettuce. I was embarrassed for them.
The mains were okay .. but lamb was served with 2 or 3 veg and a jus... nice but for $38 and 2 'chops' .. it seemed high. When we left, we all asked each other, "what did you think?" .. we all do a fair amount of fine dining. The consensus was that for what we got it was expensive. For that price we could have gone to Cafe Boulud a block away or for less DBar .. and walked away feeling we'd gotten great value .. still expensive maybe but worth every penny.
Another peculiar thing was that we had to wait for menus because they'd run out.
So basically it was totally competent ... perfectly cooked food, well paced. But expensive and basically, ordinary. For the money ... we expected to be impressed. For conservative eaters, I guess it would be perfect. We just wanted something a little different or special.(or less money)

Ajax, Canada
“Anxious to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was there with a very large group (78 people!) for a private dinner with our wine club. I can’t say enough about the atmosphere, the service, and excellent food!
This was fixed menu, decided before hand with Ontario wines chosen to pair with each course. Getting dinners out to that many people at the same time can be a daunting task, but the staff here pulled it off. From the fresh bread basket (4 varieties in each basket) to the bison I had, to my dessert, everything was properly cooked, properly served, and tasted great! (my bison was a bit on the cool side, but with a group this size I couldn’t complain. The dinner plates were very hot which helped
Understandably, delivering food was spread out a fair bit, but entrees at any one table arrived all at the same time. The room has a very high ceiling which helps dull the noise when you are dining.
I can’t wait to return to here to order from the normal menu and try more of their food.

Excellent service & food, great setting and atmosphere!

canada
“Go for Winterlicious..or any time of the year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Not sure what happened to the previous reviewer. I had a similar winterlicious meal but a VERY different experience.

Winterlicious, for guests to our great City, is an annual event where many restaurants across the city get a chance to show their stuff by preparing a fixed price menu for lunch and/or dinner at prices from $15- $45. Some places rise to the challenge and others miss by a mile. Pangea always meets or surpasses that challenge and winterlicious is a wonderful excuse to visit.

I had the mushroom soup with truffle cream. Lovely thick with good mushroom flavour and a nice (not overpowering) hit of truffle. My wife's Foie Gras torchon was also excellent. Yes the portions were on the smaller side...its a $35 winterlicious 3 course dinner menu with some high end ingredients. I have been to other winterlicious places in Toronto that charge more and/or they either really dumb down their menu or you need a microscope to see the food. Not so here. They do have regular menu items (at regular prices) available if you are concerned that the winterlicious offerings are not sufficient.

I had the bison. The meat was brilliantly done and the sides of pickled cabbage and the blueberry gastrique were great compliments to the rare slightly gamey taste of the meat. Reasonable sized portion for a main and no complaints from me. My wife's scallops were even better.

The only miss for me, that evening, was that my crème brulee was a bit runny and probably would have benefited from a little more crust. The ginger bread and poached pears, on the same plate, were terrific.

Pangea has a splendid (but not huge) wine list and I really like their loose leaf tea choices.

We have been to Pangea many times including winterlicious and summerlicious specials. This is not an inexpensive restaurant (nor is it ridiculously expensive) but we have always found value in our visits. The service, the ambiance and the food have always been great.

Recommended.

Toronto, Canada
“Do not go for winterlicious...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Very good service. We order a bottle of wine and the sommelier was extremely helpful. But honestly, do not order from the winterlicious menu it is RIDICULOUS ....no kidding.
I knew about the fairly small portion and I don't mind it as long as what you eat is good. Black been soup was OK ( a little bit on the sweet side). But what was very disappointing was the bison ... Honestly the meat quality was terrible when you need to force on your knife to cut the meat, it's not a good sign.On top of it it was overdone like crazy and almost cold....what a disappointment. Desert was lemon bar and it was just OK as well.
We had a good laugh for desert as my partner order the chocolate cake and was really looking forward to it (he did not like his entree of pork)....turn out after the first bitte that the cake was extremely dry and the icing on the cake overly sweet and really of bad quality. But looking at his face and what came out of his mouth " really !!!even Tim Horton's would do better" was almost worth the 230$ we spend that evening for 3 ( 35$ menu, 75$ wine really well spend was great and 30$ 15% tips).
I really think that they should not participate for winter or summer licious....people save your money and when you decide to go, pay the full price and enjoy it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Canada
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our dinner was one of the best at Pangaea.We celebrated my birthday in this restaurant.Food was delicious and tasty. It was our first time visit and I think we will become frequent customers. We are very happy we come here

• Visited January 2014