“Very upscale food and clientele.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Sixty Steakhouse

Harbour Sixty Steakhouse
60 Harbour Street, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1B7, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
417 777 2111
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Harbour Sixty Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #274 of 6,776 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Toronto
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: Union subway station is one block north of our building, the Harbour Commission Building on Harbour Street at Bay St.
Description: Our menu is centred around the finest USDA Prime beef which represents the top one percent of all beef. Fresh seafood includes rare items such as Dover sole flown in from France, fresh jumbo Florida stone crab claws from Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami, and true Japanese Kobe beef. While our Executive Chef Bruce Kowalchuk continues to include favourites such as bone-in filet steak and rib steak, he has added new items such as braised short ribs with chipotle spiced cream corn and double-smoked bacon and lobster-mashed potatoes with brie cheese and chives, to our menu. Pastry Chef Minh Nguyen delights guests with delectable creations that include Coconut Cream Pie, Baked Alaska and Chocolate Molten Cake. Wine NotesHarbour Sixty lives up to our impeccable reputation as a destination for the world’s leading wines. The wine lover’s experience is greatly enhanced with a state-of-the-art wine cellar allowing our collection to grow weekly. Now in the dining rooms, wines are stored in temperature controlled glass-fronted cabinets. Selection highlights include:• 1200 selections on 36 leather-bound pages, each with a tasting note.• An award-winning selection of Canadian wine • 24 wines by the glass, including Champagne, Dessert Wines & Vintage Port• 28 Vintage Ports including many from the legendary 1963, ‘66, ‘70 & ‘77 vintages• 60 selections in half-bottles and magnums • 37 Champagne and sparkling wine selections • All Bordeaux First Growths (plus Pétrus) are represented in multiple vintages• Multiple vintages of top California Cabs, including Heitz, Shafer, Dominus, Whitehall Lane, Caymus, Philip Togni, Mayacamas, Harlan, Von Strasser, PlumpJack, and many more• Legendary Guigal “La, La, La” Côte Rôtie from 1988 and 1990• Extensive collections of Sassicaia, Tignanello, Solaia and Ornellaia• Great depth in Brunello di Montalcino, including many older vintages• High quality, custom blended Harbour Sixty private label wines, including Ontario VQA Chardonnay, and California Cabernet SauvignonHarbour Sixty offers a broad selection of First Growth Bordeaux, reaching back two decades, including 1982 & ‘86 Margaux, 1982 & ‘89 Pétrus and 1970 & ‘82 Mouton. Throw in over one hundred heavy-hitting California cabs, Australia’s big-guns including multiple vintages of Grange & Two Hands, and spice up the selection with some of the great Barolos, Amarones, and dozens of dynamic Tuscan wines including the legendary 1985 Sassicaia, and you have the basis for one of the country's top wine lists. However, we don’t carry only the big names. We offer a growing selection of Spanish wines, as well as a handful from up-and-coming regions such as Greece, Hungary, Portugal, and Argentina, and we encourage our clients to be adventurous. We take great pride in placing our best local wines side by side with international selections, and we make the effort to introduce Canadian wine to our many visitors from afar. Our list includes dozens of Ontario’s World Class White, Red, Dessert wines and Traditional-method Sparklers, from established and up-and-coming producers.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Very upscale food and clientele.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating my birthday. Harbour 60 caters to a young monied crowd. Our waiter was well informed and genial. My husband enjoyed his cod and my filet mignon was very thick. The portions were huge and our bill came to under $200, because we skipped appetizers and dessert. We were given a small selection along with our bread, which included olives, cheese and couscous. I loved my full bodied shiraz. I was charmed by the coat check and valet parking; both of which are signs of a more refined resto.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Terrible Management, Customer Service and Wait Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Management does not honour reservations - even if you reserve a month in advance and confirm the night before.

We looked forward to celebrating a family occasion at Harbour Sixty, and we were extremely disappointed. We made reservations for dessert for a party of 12 one month in advance. I specified we wanted 6 molten lava cakes reserved (because when we've dined here in the past, they've sold out). I also mentioned we would be ordering other items but we wanted to make sure we had enough molten lava cakes.

Well, four hours before our reservation time, it was bumped because management wanted to accommodate another group on their wait list. Kristen - apparently a manager - introduced a new "policy" four hours before our reservation: dessert reservations cannot be made before 9:30p.m. Wow! Then why did you take my dessert reservations a month ago for 8:30p.m.?

When we arrived, the waiter didn't ask whether we wanted beverages - before we knew it, we were being served six molten lava cakes with ice cream. Even if we wanted to order drinks, coffee, tea, and additional desserts, the ice cream would've melted before anything else could be served. Terrible, terrible service...but they didn't care...because they included 18% gratuity on the bill.

I had also informed Kristen it was a special occasion and asked whether they could do a special something with the guest of honour's dessert. Well...the guest of honour wasn't even served dessert! All six molten lava cakes were placed in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves...now that's service! We would have had better service at a Swiss Chalet.

We will never go back, and we recommend you never come here for a special occasion unless you are ready for disappointment after disappointment. It was certainly a memorable experience...in all the wrong ways. Spare yourselves.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best meal I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I took my little brother to a concert in Toronto, I wanted to get something quick to eat first but trying to find a place to park.. good luck! So I seen harbour sixty, used the restroom and told my brother I don't think we can afford this lol. But after looking at the menu I said why not, he had a steak which was done perfectly and was huge, I had the seared halibut with broccolini and roasted red peppers.
Oh my!! Thee best meal I have ever had. The total was around 135.00 I also had 2 coffees which were served with a chocolate and 2 biscuits im sure I couldn't pronounce the names of... the only thing is when we went to look at the menu I was made to feel like I couldn't afford it. Other than that our server was great and the food ooooh if I won the lotto id eat there every day for that our waitress got a 50% tip.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I went to Harbour Sixty for our anniversary -- had high expectations after reviewing the menu (and prices) online...everything sounded so good. Unfortunately, we were terribly disappointed -- overall, the food and service was sub-par.

The buffalo mozzarella appetizer was decent, although nothing like what you can get from a good restaurant in Italy. The beef carpaccio appetizer was tasteless and the promised 'truffle oil' seemed to be missing altogether.

The mains were especially disappointing - I fell for the "our steaks can surf too" sales pitch and added a lobster tail on the side of my 10 oz tenderloin steak. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, this 'add on' turned out to be a $95, 20 oz lobster tail ($30 more expensive than the steak). Of course, the waiter mentioned nothing to me at the time of ordering. You can only imagine my shock when I received my plate of food with a gigantic lobster tail dwarfing my steak. Just plain stupid...did they really think I wanted two main courses??? I'm 5'9" and 165 lbs so can't possible look like someone who would eat this much...

At least my main was somewhat tasty. My wife ordered the veal tenderloin special and it was COLD. Based on other reviewers, this sounds like a common problem. The waiter resolved this by, I guess, taking it back and nuking it (classy!). The sides were also luke warm and neither tasted strongly of the promised 'truffles' (mac and cheese, french fries) - they must have run out or something. Both missed the mark, especially when compared to the fries at Mark McEwan's One and the truffle mac and cheese you can buy at Pusateri's.

We finished dinner with the molten chocolate cakes - both were very good and the highlight of dinner. Unfortunately, this alone couldn't make up for all the other poor food.

Service was also mediocre. Our waiter was nice and sincere but somewhat bumbling and not up to the standard of a high-end restaurant like this. From the aforementioned $95 lobster 'main course' fiasco to having to ask for water to not being able to find his pen for taking our order (had to come back to clarify my appetizer) to not keeping the water glasses filled, it was a big disappointment.

This dinner cost us almost $500. We both love food and have spent similar amounts in places like Scaramouche, North 44, Langdon Hall, One, Jacobs, Celler De Can Roca (Spain - #2 rated restaurant in the world), River Cafe (NYC), Prime 112 (Miami), Kobe beef restaurant (Tokyo) to name a few and Harbour Sixty was just a massive disappointment. We will never go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Horrid.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Lobster soup had diced frozen veggies in it. The china looks so Walmart-y. The food doesn't look appetizing. I said it was poor cuz I couldn't give it average cuz I think its less than mediocre.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere