“Jackie Strikes Again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Gate Restaurant

Garden Gate Restaurant
2379 Queen St E, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (The Beaches)
(416) 694-3605
Neighborhood: The Beaches
Toronto
“Jackie Strikes Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Nestled on a street corner across from the historic Fox Theatre is a Queen East landmark - the "GooF" as it was known in better days. The appeal of the location and its roots in Toronto history led my wife and I to visit - a visit all-too-soon foiled by a sweating, forgetful waiter who managed to bring a 3rd "surprise" entree when only 2 were ordered, who charged for a can of pop presented with not so much as a straw to adorn it (plastic cups with ice are the new luxury, it seems) - a can which went untouched and he gladly retrieved from the table at the end of the meal (perhaps to be returned and resold countless times, if similarly presented to its next owner). It took Jackie 10 minutes to get to our table after we arrived, the food was bland (a "Shrimp Special," BBQ Spareribs and a surprise "pinapple fried rice"), getting his attention is next-to-impossible, and we were over-charged on our bill.

The food isn't the only thing leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
Save yourself the trouble, take a picture of the building as a piece of Toronto history, and go eat somewhere else. There's much better to be found in The Beaches than this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Toulon, France
“A piece of Beach folklore - appalling disgusting food, service with a grimace - don't miss it for the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This place, once fantastic with old booths from the 50s, personal juke boxes and a remnant from 1950s North America was transformed into nothingness with a revamp a few years ago - but the awful food and horrendous service everyone goes for remained!

The whole gigantic menu is appalling, comforting and the service from stalwart Jackie always makes me laugh out loud - he also works lunch at Schezuan Schezuan in the downtown core of Toronto - and even there he is the same. Hilarious!

Don't go for the food, nor the service. Go to be part of the Beach!

Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011 via mobile

Not many places around these days with food items on the menu for less than $3. The service is always enthusiastic and friendly. The mix of of all day breakfast, Chinese food and peanut butter sandwiches is hilarious but fitting. Beach classic.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ontario
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

My visit to this place was worthy of a Seinfeld episode. Never in my life have I come across such inept wait staff. Waitress came, my friend asked for coffee & I asked for a glass of water. Coffee arrived, & was sloshed all over the place. Waitress did not apologize, nor offer to get a new cup. She forgot my glass of water. I then asked for a coffee as well & also had it sloshed all over the place. After this, she took our dinner orders. My friend's order arrived without incident. I ordered baby bok choy & beef. I received a plate of bok choy (sans beef). I asked the waitress about this, she again did not apologize, nor smile. She grabbed the plate, and returned ten minutes later with the proper order, smacking it down beside (not in front of) me.

When my friend and I asked for separate checks, this woman said "thank-you" to my friend when placing the bill in front of her. She put my bill down and did not say thank-you (nor even look at me).

Food here was not bad but the "service" left a lot to be desired!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“OK - it's not haute cuisine but it's dirt cheap and its a Beaches landmark. On top of it all, I can get a PB&J...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

OK - it's not haute cuisine but it's dirt cheap and its a Beaches landmark. On top of it all, I can get a PB&J for my six-year-old. I just wish they had the 50's look back.