“Worse than expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Flint, mi
“Worse than expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've been to the Danforth area and have eaten some of the best Gyros ever in my life at other restaurants nearby. From the street, this looked like a good place to try... boy, was I wrong.

The atmosphere was good, the waitstaff service was okay... the FOOD was the big disappointment.

I, of course, ordered a gyro. The price was high, the gyro meat was good, the pita was poor and the tzatziki sauce was almost non-existant.

I learned my lesson. I'll skip this place next time I'm in the Danforth Ave. area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
“Worst food on the Danforth”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Long story short: after a day of working on the house (painting etc) three of us wanted a no-frills but good dinner. We ended up choosing here as it was raining and we got parking spot right out front.

The food was not good. Salad and garlic bread was not good. not bad. it just was.

The greek sausage I ordered were inedible. Sausage usually has the odd chewy bit.....but here the entire sausage was a chewy bit. So gross. Gyro dinner was blah, chicken souvlaki is done better everywhere else.

and the waiter smelled heavily of cigarettes. Has he never heard of a sink/soap or chewing gum?

With all the other restos on this strip we will likely never visit this resto again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“With so much competition there is no need to come here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My group and I were not looking for a fancy greek meal, just a low-key Saturday dinner. We were disappointed with the Friendly Greek for a few reasons.

The greek salad was food-court style, too much lettuce and no cucumber. The bread basket was buns with the garlic bits from a jar on it, which means the restaurant makes no effort with their garlic bread.

The gyro dinner was the foodcourt style pre-formed gyro meat, not the real meat which other restaurants serve for gyros. It was fine, but not great. The souvlaki was dry and plain. The vegetables were frozen veggies and tasted like it (freezer burn, soggy). And the wine- sausage was inedible as it contained too much fat and ligament, more than I have ever seen in any sausage ever.

The service was okay, but the waiter should rinse his mouth after having a smoke break. gross.

The food was mostly edible but just not very good. With so many other restaraunts in Eat York I doubt I will ever visit The Friendly Greek again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Commerce, Michigan, United States
“This place should be ashamed of themselves”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My family and I visited this restaurant recently and were very disappointed. We took the subway from downtown Toronto hoping to indulge in some great, authentic Greek food. (My husband is 100% Greek and my 2 kids 50%). Our skimpy salads consisted of mostly "seen better days" iceburg lettuce. I ordered spanokopita (spinach pie) which was extremely gross... mostly greasy phyllo and little filling. The pie had NO feta cheese. ???? We were served bread that looked to be sliced up hamburger buns with sesame seeds on top... buttered and toasted. We were expecting freshly made/homemade bread like we get in Detroit's Greektown. Aside from the terrible food, our waitress was very polite and attentive. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth, when she asked me why I left 1/2 my dinner. Next trip to Toronto, we'll save our subway tokens ans head down to "Jimmy the Greek" in the mall which has MUCH better food than this place.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Best Greek on the Danforth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was always a staple restaurant for Greek food. You won't be disappointed if you're looking for fast, simple, well made Greek.
Opa!