“I'd rather sleep in my car!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   650 Evans Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M8W-2W6, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Calgary
“I'd rather sleep in my car!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is the shadiest hotel I have ever had the misfortune of finding. After reading the reviews, my expectations were low, however all I needed was a clean bed and shower and the location was convienient. We are business people, we do not look like thugs yet when we arrived at the hotel and had to show ID before even being able to get into the lobby. The reception clerk did little to make us believe the place was safe. The entire place had me second guessing and as a result we put it down as a mistake and abondoned our paid for rooms and headed elsewhere. Unless you are travelling on a a student's budget and the hostel if full - stay away!

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

After a long and tiring drive from Montreal, my friends and I just needed a place to sleep so we looked at some reviews and decided on this. Mainly because its cheap. We got there and the rate lit up outside doesn't match the rate you are told inside. For reasons of tax is fine but this was something to do with availability. There was only one room left so the promo rate displayed outside isn't valid. The Indian lady at the reception was very firm about the rate. It was late and we were tired so we settled with it for CAD90 and picked up some Chinese take out flyers at the counter. We were considering between the 2 pretty looking picture ones out of the 3 and decided to ask the Indian lady for her recommendation. She pointed out the ugly looking flyer and strongly suggested it was the best. My friend and I looked at each other and thought "oh well, perhaps we shouldn't get caught by the pretty pictures", called and ordered from the ugly looking flyer. BIG MISTAKE! Worse Chinese take out ever! Sorry I side tracked a little. The room was spacious, the housekeeping lady sprayed it with some kind of liquid to eliminate the smoke smell but it left wet patches on the carpet, bathroom had a damp smell and the air vent wasn't working 100%, the free wifi was weak and the only spot we could get the signal was if we stood outside the toilet door! I'm not sure if it was because we were so exhausted or were the beds really good but we slept well. Over slept actually.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My bf and I used this Inn as a crash spot while visiting Toronto. The first thing I noticed was how clean this hotel was. I think the building we stayed in might be new or recently renovated, it smelled like they shampoo the carpets daily and the building smells new. The bedroom room is VERY small, but modern; excellent showers and comfy pillow-top beds. I'm happy they provide nice smelling body wash (full sized) and not those cheap small hotel bar soaps. Another plus is there's a gas station in the same lot as the hotel which is very convenient, shopping mall, Dollarama (in case you forget your toothpaste or whatever, you can pick up stuff for $1-$4 without having to pay a fortune), 15 mins from downtown Toronto (Rogers Centre). Advertising "continental" breakfast is misleading (no eggs and bacon here). They offer free coffee and small croissants, which most doesn't really look appetizing. I only had the coffee.

Tips:

-15mins from Downtown Toronto and 1hr from Niagara Falls

-Parking is pricey downtown if you do know where to find it. The first day we paid $22 to park all day at a parking lot between Bremner bvld and Lakeshore - skip this..go to Bay st, the municipal parking is $8 all day for sure on weekends - im not sure about during the week, I didnt look. I do recommend a garage, because i believe we were on King street at you have to feed the meter til 12am! I don't know if it's a common thing with most streets around there.

-Toronto doesn't really have much its in the up and coming process- there's a lot of boat rides and dinner boats, but you can go to The Steam Whistle brewery - free tours everything 15mins and free sample beers. The food is really good at the food truck outside.

- Saturday and Sunday there's a lot of festivities going on on Dundas Square; dancing, singing, and other performances.

- Try to get your day started early. Most places downtown closes at 5pm and 6pm, this took some getting use to coming from new york city where bars and such closes at 5am.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandy U, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Toronto, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time and sharing with us, a very detailed review. You've made many points that will help other travellers. About the breakfast, we do not promote Continental Breakfast. Only Light Breakfast. As you know, we do not have much space to offer more than we do now. But offer assorted croissants, pastries, cereals, juices, coffee and tea's. Just something light to get the day going. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you again!
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was cheap to say in, and doesn't look great from the outside. But don't let that put you off! The staff are very friendly, rooms are a decent size and there is free Wi-Fi, parking and coffee. The room is basic but assuming you are going to be exploring Toronto you won't be in it very long. The only downside is that you need to get the bus to the Subway station (although it is included in the ticket price) first. It takes approximately 1 hour to travel to Union Station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you Mr. Sean for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I arrived in the morning, the room where still not disponible, so we left our suitcases at the reception. The receptionist told us that smokers rooms where on the 1st floor.
When we arrived in the night they gave us an smoker room, so I asked for a non smoker, the receptionist told me that room was for non smokers, (the morning´s receptionist told it was for smokers, and it´s smell very bad!!) he sayd that they where no more rooms, we checked on internet and they were still disponibility, I told that to the receptionist and he says not possible, but we checked in different reservation websites and they were... so I complained about the situation, it was hard to sleep there because the room smell really really bad :(

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Canada's Best Value Inn Toronto. I do apologise for any inconveniences you may have experienced. I will definately look into this and if you would like to further discuss this, please contact me at your convenience.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Best place to stay compare to others, in same price range

I was in Toronto for two weeks with my family. First week, we stayed in different place which was not the great place. We moved from there to Stay Inn. Only one night we stayed at the Stay Inn. Stay Inn was beautiful property but price was over budget. After one night we found the Canada’s Best Value Inn which was almost half price of it. I paid $525 per room for one week which was $75 per night. I wish I knew this place before.
Front desk ladies Lily and Berenice were very helpful, and rooms were very clean. I saw from my eye, housekeeper came every day and change our bed sheets, pillow cases and etc. Let me tell you, I do travel lot. Most of the places they don’t do that. They change only after you check-out.
It was small property but very well maintained. Front Desk employees were in one uniform and even housekeepers were one uniform. Everybody was professional and friendly. I was surprise by this small property.
Breakfast was funny. When we checked-in, they told us light breakfast grab and go. Me and my family were talking about it all night “Grab and Go”. First place we didn’t understand “Breakfast Grab and Go”. There was no place to seat. You just come in and grab whatever you want to eat and go to room, and eat down there. They had coffee which was better than Tim Horton’s.
One night before check out, hotel Manager (Vik Thakur) came to us and said thanks to all of us and ordered pizza for us (Free dinner). Which was very nice of him, and I will stay there again. Plus I want to see the new renovation. Manager told us they were going to renovation the whole property, and he was talking about spending $1Million.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Canada's Best Value Inn Toronto. Very pleased and thankful to hear you enjoyed your stay and for submitted a detailed review. It was our pleasure in accommodating yourself and guest's and hope to serve you again when your travel plans bring you back to Toronto.
Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here one night, from Saturday the 16th until the Sunday following.

We decided to stay at this hotel after reviews from other places in the area said things like "didn't feel safe, etc." Scary!! There was no comments like that for the Canadas Best Value Inn.

Their parking was free (always a big plus), their 24 hour coffee is free, their wi-fi is free, and their showers are free... essentially, it's not really that much better than any other place. It's pretty much what you'd need if you'll spend most of your time OUTSIDE of your hotel, with the basics for sleeping in it.

There is a mini-fridge and micro-wave in the small-ish room. We were satisfied with the size. There was no closet, just a coat rack, but I hardly ever need the extra space. Two single chairs to sit on, and a desk.

There was only one bath towel in the room even though we were two adults, and a beer cap on the floor and a yogurt in the fridge (at least it wasn't expired). We were also only given one key.

The continental breakfast was gone by 8.30 (no longer any food) though it was supposed to be open until 9am. It's right by a very large mall, but on Saturdays, the mall closes at 6pm (which was a surprise).

Over-all, I would suggest this place to a friend. I would go early for the breakfast (if necessary) and I would recommend taking advantage of the free coffee!

We paid 84$ for two adults in a single-bed (queen sized) room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandy U, General Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Toronto, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for stay at Canada's Best Value Inn Toronto. We appreciate your feedback as any kind of feedback helps us serves our guests better. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Canadas Best Value Inn Toronto? Share your experiences!