“unique vs standard” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gladstone Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gladstone Hotel to your Saves list
Gladstone Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1214 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6J 1J6, Canada   |
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Stratford, Canada
“unique vs standard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

For our daughter's 16 birthday we decided to give them a gift that was about "experience". We researched several hotels and decided on the Gladstone. Not only does this hotel have significant history in the city the option to book rooms that reflected their styles. The girls loved it. I would have to say we equally had a good time determining what room we wanted.

Loved that in the morning big carafes of coffee and tea were placed in the foyer of each floor ensuring that 1. you could have as much coffee as you needed to get going 2. you didn't need to get out of your pj's.

The old fashioned elevator was beautiful.

For those looking for something outside of the box, the Gladstone fits the bill.

Room Tip: Go on their website which shows all the different rooms. They provide each room with ear plugs for t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
London ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Gladstone because of a book launch event that's being held in the Ballroom. As it turned out, it's an amazing find. Located on Queen Street West, it's not downtown Toronto but quite accessible. This is not your normal cookie cutter chain hotel but a funky place with an impressive history (as the longest continuously run hotel in Toronto since 1889). Each room is unique and designed by an artist or interior designer. Because it is situated on Queen Street with the streetcar operating just outside and other vehicular traffic, it is not a quiet place. The hotel provides ear plugs! And if you're a light sleeper, you will need them. The staff are very friendly and the service excellent. The ride up in the birdcage elevator (a genuine antique that is still operational) is absolutely like stepping back in time. The rooms themselves have soaring 12 ft ceiling but generally on the small side. That's because they've had to steal space for en suite bathrooms that weren't a requirement back when the hotel was built. They provide wireless Internet access throughout the hotel at no charge and there is also a tablet (Samsung) provided in the room. All in all, it's cozy and well worth a stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This time we had a one night stopover en route from Vancouver to Europe and took advantage of a special package including accommodation and two tickets to the AGO. Had fun choosing our room from among the many different artist-themed rooms, and wandered the halls looking at the current art show. We'll stay again when we return to Toronto.

• Stayed March 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is probably one of my favorite places to stay and I wish my travels took me to Toronto more often so I could stay here more!
I stayed in the Queen Suite. Loved the brick wall - the decor in the room was perfect - funky and comfortable. I loved the decor in the building; there was a lounging room on my floor and interesting art throughout the hallways. I was completely cared for - from help to my room, to wonderful coffee in the morning (coffee is important - and it must be good coffee!). Location was fantastic for what I needed.
Love love love the Gladstone.
Hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Erie, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Gladstone Hotel in Toronto is one of the most charming places we have ever stayed. While the room we had was small it was very nicely appointed and unique. I believe that every room was decorated differently by local artists. The bar and restaurant were excellent also. If you want to stay there you have to understand that it is the oldest hotel in Toronto so if you are looking for a modern place you may not like it but if you do stay there you will not be disappointed. Great staff and great location on one of the main streets. Lots of things to do in this area

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thorold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were attending an art show in the neighborhood as well as visiting our kids. My wife got a deal on a room at the Gladstone, and we have wanted to stay here before but it never worked out. The hotel is beautifully renovated, lots of old wood and a really cool old elevator. Art is on every wall and makes an interesting walk around the public spaces. Our room was small but functional, the washroom was very small but did the job. Bed was really comfy and the sheets were nice soft cotton. Breakfast in the downstairs cafe was very good service was friendly and efficient. One downside is the parking $25 additional cost seems a little petty but it is Toronto. We will stay again if we have the need.

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just wrapped up a one week stay at the Gladstone - it was wonderful - the room designs are so imaginative (every one individually designed by visual artists), well executed and well maintained - its a very genuine place - all the essentials were provided (great bed linens, operable windows, good water pressure, quiet, very clean, etc.) and none of the superficial add-ons were missed (over-sized washrooms, bathrobe, slippers, etc.). The front desk staff were very laid back yet courteous and professional - I had to change rooms due to my first room was pre-booked for a particular date - when I arrived in my new room, I protested that I couldn't stay in a lavender room with black and gold peacocks painted on all the walls - fortunately another room was available and I was moved immediately with no questions asked - I was given a reduced rate due to the length of stay and when I reviewed the bill and highlighted an error, the bill was corrected immediately. The Gladstone provided a very special experience and I wish I could find similar hotels in other cities around the world.

Room Tip: perhaps have a look at their portfolio of rooms images prior to booking and pick one you like, or le...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Gladstone Hotel? Share your experiences!