“Eclectic hotel with a lot of great and a little not so great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gladstone Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gladstone Hotel to your Saves list
Gladstone Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1214 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6J 1J6, Canada   |
Ranked #25 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Roswell, GA
“Eclectic hotel with a lot of great and a little not so great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here with my sweetheart on a Saturday and Sunday night. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. We stayed on the third floor in room 315, which shares a wall with the elevator. NOTE: the elevator is an old manual version that the staff has to run. It isn't always available and isn't used that often - mainly just when people have luggage. If you have issues climbing stairs, another hotel might be a better choice. It's a cool elevator, though!

The room was very small, but that was okay, because I actually like being up close and personal with my sweetie! The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows were good. There wasn't much drawer space in the room. Also no real room to live out of your suitcase unless you put it on the furniture. There was a small flat screen TV on the brick wall, which worked great and let us watch the football game on Sunday night. The room had a tablet with internet access which made checking email and finding things to do pretty easy. The main lights had a dimmer, which was nice, and there were bedside lamps that made it easy to read without disturbing your partner.

The bathroom was small, and the shower was VERY SMALL. If you are a large person, you will have trouble with the shower. Not much in the way of shelf space, although there were some shelves just outside the bathroom door that were technically part of the nightstand that we used to store our toiletries. No fan in the bathroom.

The walls in this hotel are very thin - we could hear people walking down at least two flights of stairs while in our room with the door shut. Women in heels were particularly loud. We could also hear conversations going on in the common area. On Saturday night there was an engagement party in the Ballroom, and we could hear the music, although it wasn't loud enough to be disturbing. They do provide earplugs, although if you are a light sleeper, this hotel might not be for you.

There is coffee available in the common area on each floor every morning. There is a bar/coffee shop downstairs as well as a regular restaurant. We had breakfast in the bar one day, and it was excellent. The restaurant has live entertainment in the evenings. The entire hotel is filled with artwork, which was terrific. I wandered on most of the floors just so I could see the artwork that hangs on each floor.

Note that parking is very limited and has to be reserved in advance. Otherwise, you will be forced to find a space on your own. the hotel spaces are just across the street, but there are only a few available. Most other spaces are a few blocks from the hotel, and while they are less expensive than the hotel spaces, they require that you feed the meter twice a day - 7 am and 6 pm.

The West Queen area is a transitional neighborhood. At first glance it appears to be a sketchy area, although we walked around late into the evening without issue. There are some panhandlers, and this is a popular neighborhood for young artist types. There are lots of places to eat and many bars. It's a walking neighborhood with lots of dogs and more young children than you would expect. There are also lots of bikes on the streets, so drive carefully. There is a large park nearby, and on Sunday morning we took a long walk and saw many people running, walking their dogs, and riding bikes.

Room Tip: choose a room away from the street and 3rd floor or above.

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hi,

Stayed last weekend. Went with my girlfriend. Stayed in one of the less opulent rooms, the FELT room to be exact. The place was super clean and friendly. Great staff and it has beautiful wide hallways and staircases. The artwork was curious and even fun. Window opened for fresh air, decent view of back alley and cit skyline. Cozy bed and quiet room (did not need ear plugs supplied by the hotel). No children in sight. Bathroom was freezing but it had lots of towels and wonderful water pressure in the Hobbit-sized shower. Close proximity to less chic restos, cafes and second-hand stores.

Hotel restaurant was fine but as vegetarians there wasn't a breakfast option and substituting for the meat cost us money. We ate at the Drake down the street the following morning, which was quite accommodating. The armless chairs in the room had signs of, uh, spillage that made sitting in them less appealing.

Will stay again but need to check out the Drake beforehand.

Meaford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was tiny at a high price. There was no breakfast included. The pillows were sponge balls and very bad for the neck.
The coffee in the lobby was empty when I went to get a cup just after 8:00 a.m. and when I buzzed down to tell them, no coffee was brought up even though they promised coffee and tea in the lobby till 11:00a .m. No coffee maker in the room and no free coffee in the lobby.
We could not watch t.v. as the remote did not work and they never fixed it even though I pointed it out to them.
I had a yogurt parfait for which I paid $7 plus tax and tip and it was disappointingly small with no fresh fruit in it. I run a BB and I serve those parfaits as my first course and they are large and made with fresh fruit and are part of the 3 course breakfast I make.
The art was lovely and the staff friendly but useless.
I will never stay there again and would not recommend a stay except perhaps a cocktail to view the art which is great.

Room Tip: If you can afford a large room (if they have any) get that and try and get a room not facing the str...
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Enjoyed our 3 night stay, but Gladstone was not as special as I had hoped. Lured by the 'boutique' description - We had a tiny room, with a very tiny shower, and seemed to pay well over the odds. At least our room at the back, was quiet considering what a busy road the hotel was on. Neither breakfast, parking or taxes were included.Would stay closer to 'downtown' another time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

An overall great experience! Beautiful lobby and common areas with fantastic art to explore. Super friendly front desk staff who seemed genuinely interested in my satisfaction. The room was exactly what I needed (after a falling out with a friend whose place I was supposed to stay at) and I got it at a really great price. The gentleman who checked me in was sure to ask if I wanted a quiet room (I did) and ensured that I had it. WiFi was rocking. I will definitely stay here again and will definitely recommend it to others. The only reason I didn't rank 5/5 is that the room was cold. Because of the time of year, the AC was switched off but the heat couldn't be turned on for a day or two afterward. The front desk provided additional blankets, which suited me just fine. They also offered to provide a portable heater, but I declined. Not a perfect situation, but the hotel handled it perfectly.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back (north side) are quieter. Great views facing North/East. Live music could be a pro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bagshot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

A buddy of mine was getting married down the street so my girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights. Firstly, the staff on reception were very friendly, very helpful and very willing to help us out when we needed any assistance.

We stayed in room 406 - El-A-Men-Tal. The bed and pillows were very comfortable which meant we slept incredibly well both nights. The room was a little small however there was plenty of room to store our clothes and other belongings. The shower was quite small - I am 5'11" and of average build, but when I dropped something in the shower I had to contort my body in order to pick it up! The iron/ironing board were very handy, as was the in-room safe which we used to store all our valuables. There is free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel which also came in very useful.

We were on the top floor, so weren't really affected by the noise that a lot of reviewers have mentioned, however it does get quite lively in the bars downstairs so I can imagine it is worse if you're on another floor.

We had Sunday brunch here the morning we checked-out. The portions are not enormous (by the usual North American standards), but the food was delicious. The only problem we encountered was that the service was very slow.

Make sure you take a ride in the antique elevator - it's very unique and is a bit of a treat!

We'd definitely stay here again in the future as it is different to anything we have stayed in before.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this hotel after girl's night out at the Drake back in May. (FYI, I live in Toronto so I don't often book hotel rooms here.)

We chose the Billio Room and it was just the perfect room for a girl's night out! The room was a bit small but the decor was just lovely that we didn't mind at all. It was so good for taking pictures (which I can't upload due to privacy concerns of course)! It made our girl's night out extra special and more authentic if I do say so myself.

Overall, I really like this hotel. In fact, I'm thinking of booking a couple of rooms again in January for my birthday. YAY!

BONUS: We also especially liked the fact that we were able to ride on the antiquated elevator.

LINK to see the Billio Room: http://www.gladstonehotel.com/hotel/rooms/gimme-more/314-billio-room/

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Gladstone Hotel? Share your experiences!