“Good hotel, stylish rooms, great downtown location, very hospitable staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One King West Hotel & Residence

You added One King West Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
One King West Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #42 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good hotel, stylish rooms, great downtown location, very hospitable staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Due to a GPS input error, we arrived at One King Street West close to midnight. We were greeted warmly, bags were handled efficiently and the studio suite with balcony that we had fervently requested, but was not guaranteed was ready for us. Again, fortunately, valet parking was available and – tho not inexpensive at $40 a night – was convenient, competent and well in line with big city prices. The studio suite was modern, attractive and well-appointed. (Another big plus was the availability of abundant both standard and USB plugs for electronic devices saving me from crawling about to find available outlets to plug in the phones, cameras and i-pads that are these days a necessity for ‘plugged-in’ travelers. No hard choices like unplugging the lamp or alarm clock to power up portable devices.) Internet access was free and wireless speedy enough to get what had to be done done.
In the end, a building, even one with attractive facilities, needs one additional ingredient before it can rightfully be called a hotel: hospitable people working there. One King West earns five stars in my book for hospitable staff. Everyone with whom we came in contact from General Manager Steve O’Brien, who speedily answer e-mail and helped us obtained the desired studio suite with a balcony; front desk manager McDonald, who left a hand-written welcome note and a bottle of champagne to celebrate Da Wife’s birthday; front desk and concierge…all seemed willing and happy to walk the extra mile or kilometer for guest satisfaction.
Tho the hotel’s extensive ‘make-over’ is not yet complete and a bit of clutter is inevitable, once in our digs, we heard no renovation-connected noise.
Great stay and good value for the money.

Room Tip: If you can live without a balcony (we can't), suites on the higher floors provide great views of...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The one king west had its big moments and will probably have more when the renovation is complete.
For now, travellers will have to accept that it's location, staff support, and the price they pay for the accommodation will be enough reasons to stay in it.
The hotel is average, clean, and nice but waiting for an elevator is a test of your patience and the differences between the refurbished rooms and the ones that are not is the difference of day and night

Room Tip: Pick the upper rooms as they present a great view of the city.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We booked a room at this hotel using hotwire and got a great rate. I purposely asked for a room on the higher floor, along with a crib. The staff I spoke to on the phone were not very friendly, but in the end we were given a beautiful hotel room on the 15th floor. The room was large, tastefully decorated, and very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and even the toiletries were nice. No complaints at all about the room.

My husband arrived later in the day by car and I called downstairs to ask about parking. The staff person from the parking department said there was parking available and the rate is $40. I asked if the rate covered 24 hours and he said yes.

The next morning we discovered the parking rate only allowed us to park until 11 AM. I called the front desk and asked the person I spoke to to recommend to the parking attendants that they be more clear about their policy. She repeated the hotel's policy to me many times before she said she would pass on that message. No apology was offered and definitely no effort was made to allow us to park any longer than 11 AM.

So the hotel room was lovely, but the staff were not friendly or even remotely understanding when we felt misled.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I booked a premium one bedroom suite for one night this past weekend and it was beautiful. We used it as the meeting point for my friends to begin our night out and it was spacious enough for 10 ladies to have a few drinks before heading out. There's a full kitchenette with an empty mini fridge, a dishwasher, sink, stovetop, microwave and a couple of utensils and cups. There's also a washing machine for longer stays to do laundry. The corner view was amazing - especially at night! Loved how the bedroom faces one way, the bathroom another, and the living space in between gives you a 180 view. The bathroom was gorgeous with a jacuzzi tub, although we didn't use it - except for an ice bucket challenge. You can't beat this location. It's walking distance to everything you might need or anywhere you might be going. Yes, the elevators are slow, and yes the bathroom towels aren't plush - which is why I'm only rating them 4 stars - but other than that the staff are friendly and helpful, and I had a really positive experience. It is a little pricey but I would definitely come back for another special occasion.

Room Tip: Splurge for a premium one bedroom suite and request a high floor. The city lights at night and the s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Meaford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Most hotel rooms are cookie cutter versions of one another but this hotel is delightfully different.
The bedroom was off in its own alcove from the rest of the room. Washer and dryer as well as fridge, microwave and two burner stove top were amenities provided. Bartender was delightful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Karen W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay at One King West and found the hotel to be unique.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,
Steve O'Brien
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Granted, it was an overnight stay.
Agreed, I booked through expedia for a better price.
Yes, I basically needed a place to ut my bag, and sleep for one night (after a diagnostic imaging test scheduled on a Sunday night)
Still, it was a disappointing experience.
It was my second stay at One King West.
Part of the hotel seems to be underoing renovations.
But, the inside of the room was not up to par. Chipped tiles on the bathroom floor, kitchenette counter that could have used more elbow grease in cleaning, dustbunnies on the drapes (yes, multiple dstbunnies on the drapes which had me battling allergies all night)) and some corners of the room could have done with a more thorough vacuuming session.
Needless to say I didn't find this room very guest-friendly.
One last thing, waiting for elevators took forever, of the four elevators only two seemed to be working.
I was so eager to go back to One King West after a very nice stay in December, especially for the so convenient location, but now if I need a nice hotel room for one night downtown I will look elsewhere

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Annie Q,

I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations, especially as a returning guest. I would appreciate if you could email me directly at gm@onekingwest.com as I would like to know more about your stay and the suite you stayed in.

Your constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to inform you that the revitalization project is underway and all the aforementioned issues will be addressed in the upgraded rooms.

Thank you for taking the time to share your sentiments with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,
Steve O'Brien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Clean room, bright space and great stay. The staff was professional and courteous, the hotel decor is beautiful...just what we needed for our weekend stay. St-Lawrence market is a 5 minute walk away, theater district and 100's of restaurants/bar are close by.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to One King West Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!