“It Depends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of One King West Hotel & Residence

You added One King West Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
One King West Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #42 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“It Depends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I've stayed at One King West a number of times. My room experience varies. Generally, the room is great. The rooms are loaded with goodies like dishwasher, washer, dryer, kitchenette, fridge, etc. Most of the appliances are concealed and the kitchen is very tasteful. Some of the rooms have odd shapes. As a result, some of them, while very nice, are ineffectively laid out. Our room this time was on the 42nd floor, overlooking the city on a corner. It was such an odd shape that half the room was useless and there was really no sitting area. If you end up in the lower and older part of the hotel, you will have no view. My suggestion is to ask for an upper room facing the lake. You will get to see the sunrise well before the people on the ground because you are so high up. It's a fantastic view. The service is good. There is usually a breakfast buffet and there is a small lobby bar. Parking, like any in Toronto, is $40 a night, so work that into your price. The location is great. It's a short walk to the financial district, Air Canada Centre, Rogers Centre, CN Tower, etc.
I would not keep going back if I didn't like the place.

Room Tip: In the tower on an upper floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear dylangh94,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very happy to hear that we have continued to meet your expectations, especially as a returning guest.

On behalf of the entire team here at One King West Hotel & Residence, thank you for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steve O'Brien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Thanks to a winter storm and missed air connection I found the One King West hotel and it was a welcome and pleasant surprise. Because I had obtained what I thought was an exceptional good price for an overnight stay at a 4 star downtown Toronto hotel, I was not expecting the quality that I found at this hotel. First it is a must to even visit since it occupies an historic building which originally was built as the headquarters of one of the Canadain big banks. The renovation has faithfully restored the second floor executive area with its beautifully high ceiling rooms with gorgeous marble fireplaces and dark wood-panelled walls and marble floors. Same for the former lobbey and even idown a flight of stairs to a bara in the former vaults. As well for the first 10 floors once can use the option of riding in the original executive elevators. The lobby bar was open late and served a meal despite the hour which was excellent. The room was also a very pleasant surprise as it was everything one would expect in a high quality hotel..linens and bed were excellent and a large marble bathroom. No complaints whatsoever..totally quiet at night and slept very well. Will certainly return!

Room Tip: Try for a room in the renovated sction of the former bank building with their high ceilings.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Donald R M,

Thank you for allowing One King West to be your hotel of choice when in Toronto and sharing your recent stay experience.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will certainly return. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing, run down, feeling old and tired and in desperate need of upgrade. The fitness centre has two elyptical trainers that look like they were imported from the Soviet Union 20+ years ago. Guess what - they don't work and I could not find a phone on the entire floor to find help.
The room had many issues - clogged sink, holes and rips in carpet, cracks in walls, a shower head that looks like it was bought at Home Depot 10 years ago for $4.99. The best part, this room was charged out at $500 for the first night and $199 for the second night. I raised these issues with the front desk manager and was offered a late check out. Hmmm.
While the location is convenient, there are many better options nearby. My advice to business travellers and tourists, stay away until they invest about $50 million to update the rooms and amenities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I really liked staying here. It was really clean and spacious. The room we stayed in had a kitchenette but we didn't use it. The bathroom had a shower and a tub and was spotless. The service was great. The bar in the lobby was nice. One of the best things was the metro station in front of the hotel. It made really accessible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Ana V,

Thank you for choosing One King West during your recent visit to Toronto. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service to be superior.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here after my work conference held at the King Eddy. Overall! The room was tiny, the carpet was stained all over and we had to pay for dish detergent to run the dishwasher. The location though was great, close to the tube, connected to the path, restaurants, pubs and Eaton Centre. The swimming pool was big enough for one, the hot tub was pretty dirty. The elevators were super slow.
Free WiFi is available in the lobby only.

Overall, average hotel. We were out most of the day and just needed somewhere to crash and that's all that was. Thee are plenty of other hotels in the area that I would rather stay at, including the King Eddy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear lemonss,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at One King West with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very sorry to see that your recent stay was not a pleasant one. What you have described here is absolutely not indicative of what our guests have come to expect from us. We do have mechanisms in place to monitor our level of service quality but in this case they fell short and for that, I apologize.

We appreciate your candid feedback, as it is invaluable in keeping us on our toes and to continue making improvements.

On behalf of the entire team here at One King West Hotel & Residence, thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is not a 5-star hotel! The old bank building is very impressive and the downtown location is very good including easy, convenient access to the underground "PATH" system.
However, we were in a room in the "historic" section of the hotel. This is a marketing term meaning "old" section. The room itself was comfortable and large enough but it was dated and tired, with fraying carpet, no counter space in the bathroom and antique televisions from the 1980's. And the windows looked into the interior small, dull courtyard which meant no sunlight at all or a view of anything. The furniture was also historic! I hope the rooms in the newer "tower" section were more updated.
The staff seemed friendly enough, and the location was very good. In the cold winter, it was nice to be able to go for a walk in the PATH system down below without having to wear a coat.
After reading about limited on-site valet parking and difficulties with their partner lot a block away, I used another parking lot a few blocks east on King St.
Overall, there wasn't anything much to really complain about, but on the other hand, it wasn't an overwhelming experience either.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a view of the city, not the inside open air space often reffered to as a cou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear RIT17,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and were happy with the location, but am very sorry that the suite you stayed in failed to meet your expectations.

I am pleased to inform you that starting this May, the hotel will be undergoing a revitalization project. This is a very exciting time for us as once completed, One King West will offer one of the finest hotel guest room products in the city.

I hope you will give us another chance to serve you better in the future. Feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com and I will be sure to take care of your reservation for you. I'm sure that next time, we will provide you with a suite and an experience that exceeds, your expectations.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The fact that I am writing this 2 months after our stay speaks to the fact that it was a mess or amazing. We are from Toronto and decided to relax for a couple of days at a '4 star' hotel. In a nutshell: This is a 2.5 star hotel disguised as a 4 star. Yes, the lobby was gorgeous; yes, the building is iconic and full of history; but...

1) The furniture was disgusting, old and full of stains.

2) Our washing machine leaked. We called maintenance (after 3-4 repeated calls), and left for some shopping. We returned with an industrial sized water sucking machine LEFT ON. I finally pulled the plug after 10 minutes realizing that NO ONE was coming for it. Front desk had no idea what we were talking about and we waited another hour for someone to take it.

3) Towels were not changed even after we spoke to front desk and housekeeping at least 3x.

4) The toilet handle broke. Another 5 calls made and the plumber said that this was common. Horrible.

4) The vintage TV!! If there was any indication that this experience would be a bust - the TV was it. How a 4 star hotel in an iconic building, right smack in the middle of downtown, still had the same televisions from the 90's is beyond me. Still tried to make the best of the situation and ordered a movie. Horrible.

Although we stayed at the new tower, we could not help feel like the room was an old room that received patchwork fixes. Hard to believe that the room was built new. Many shortcuts taken and the quality shows. The staff, though nice, did not seem as if they worked as one unit. It felt as if we were dealing with separate entities.

I know that sometimes things happen that may not be reflective of the quality of the hotel staff and their practices. Even if they were perfect, the stay was still NOT 4 star. We stayed at a Holiday Inn during the outage, and I can honestly say that it was better in terms of furniture, cleanliness and organization than One King West.

We chose not to complain because they upgraded us into a suite. We were thankful but I would NEVER EVER stay there again. Location is incredible though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear SunshineYYZ,

I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on a number of levels, especially with regard to the suite you stayed in and for that I apologize. What you have described here is certainly not indicative of what our guests have come to expect from us.

We take feedback from our guests very seriously and I will be sure to address your comments with the appropriate managers. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the details surrounding your stay with us in greater detail. Should you wish to do so, please feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com or 416-548-8113.

I am pleased to announce that starting this May, the hotel will be undergoing a guest room revitalization project. This is a very exciting time for us as once completed, One King West will offer one of the finest hotel guest room products in the city.

I hope you will give us another chance to serve you better in the future and am sure that next time, we will provide you with a suite and an experience that exceeds, your expectations.

Steve O'Brien

Been to One King West Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!