“Three centuries ... one address” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One King West Hotel & Residence

Save Saved
You added One King West Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
One King West Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #40 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Three centuries ... one address”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

If you love history and want to be in the center of everything, One King West Hotel & Residence is what you need. Experience the rich history this place has to offer. It used to be Michie & Co. Grocers & Wine Merchants, that In 1879, location is changing owners to become home to the head office of The Dominion Bank, a residency that would last an impressive 126 years.
Located in the old part of Toronto, you will be within walking distance to Toronto’s most popular destinations, including the Theatre District, Entertainment District, Business District and vibrant Queen Street.
Before making your booking you would like to check hotel great deals, promotional rates for 20% off. Pick what suits you the best, from studio, superior, premium, one bedroom to premium one bedroom room. Either your trip is business matter or you are going to spend your stay with your love or family even that you are traveling solo you will have guarantee great stay.
Front staff are very kind and willing to help. They will make your booking as fast as they can. I had booked superior room and for just extra 10$ you can have balcony. Room has been very clean. Washroom has all amenities that you will need, in a case that you forget something, but please don't forget toot brush (you know how in some hotels they have that too) in this one you will not find it. Luckily when you walk out of the hotel on your right corner you will find Shoppers Drug Mart that will find everything that you will need and forgot to pack :)
In the room you will find all information and interesting things you can do while your stay in the hotel and the city.
After all day out, enjoy the amenities this hotel has to offer, like "King size" hot-tub and you will relax in a minute.
Enjoy your stay like I did.

Room Tip: Any type of room that you choose you will feel like at home with super modern settings with the view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi Ana267,

I couldn't have said it better myself - thank you for such a wonderful review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time spent with us and felt like you were at home. When our guests are happy, we're happy.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steve O'Brien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

we loved this hotel!! Loved reading about the history, seeing the safe at the bottom of the beautiful stairway in the lobby! Gave me chills to think of the 'days gone by'. We went to the old elevators to check them out....if those walls could talk! We stayed on the 13th floor...yep! 13th! Room was small but complete. Hotel is quiet, didn't hear any hallway noise. Comfortable furniture, nice bathroom, even had washer & dryer. Felt like we were in a ultra-cool downtown condo! Lobby bar was great and the hotel is in an excellent location for checking out TO! We would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Kerry M,

It's wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. The historical aspects of the building really are awe-inspiring, and I'm glad that you took the time to check out some of them out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

GTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

[February 16th - 17th; Superior Suite; 20% off Deal]

Check in went very smoothly with attentive and friendly staff at the front desk. We were given the option for a lower or upper room, and we chose lower in an attempt to reduce our time on the elevators.

Our initial room (8th floor) looked into an office building and we found what appeared to be gum stains on the carpet, so we called down for a room change. Again, the front desk was friendly and quickly accommodated our request without even asking why. I regret not informing them of the gum stains since likely another guest will come across them without the hotel even knowing they exist.

Valet was quick and also friendly when they held our bags post-checkout since we had some downtime before we headed home.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were asked if we wanted a higher or lower room... we made the mistake of initially asking for a l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Ryan G,

Although you weren't immediately pleased with your first suite, I'm very happy to see that we were able to quickly move you to another that met your standards. Thank you for your kind words about our level of customer service - it's nice to know that we hit the mark.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Booked through Hotwire and got very lucky with this one for the price paid. Close to downtown. Carpet could be updated. Front and Bar staff excellent. Room was spacious with in-room cooking needs met.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hi jesseround,

I'm happy to know that you were pleased with your stay and that we met your expectations. Thanks for providing your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bracebridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked a night at this hotel due to proximity to the air Canada center (where we were going for a concert) I was not impressed, I printed out where to park as well as sent them an email, as we drove past the hotel valet parking was not available, therefor we went to the parking garage recommended on the hotel website. When we parked it was a little confusing on how to get to the hotel. Once we arrived the lobby was beautiful although there was a line up to the door (roughly 10 people infront of us) after waiting in line for about 20 minutes (guests kept cutting in line infornt of us and staff was serving them first) Once we checked in we asked how to get to the air Canada center and the guy who checked us in obviously in training passed us over to the manager, she had no clue how to get there via the pathway so said its best to walk and its about a 20 minute walk (wrong it's only 10 minutes tops, but it was raining so we wanted to take the path) While I was speaking with the manager I asked her what the deal is with parking because i seen a stack of parking vouchers sitting on the desk, so I inquired and she asked where we had parked I told her we followed intrsuctions of her website which say park on either right or left lot on the street, so we parked at commerce court lot, which they didn't have vouchers for, I had told her that the valet was full and we had no choice, I was concerned at this time of the cost :/, but hey it was our valentines night we were now wasting time. We got to our room and I was not impressed. the room was very dark, old, and stuffy, our fridge was very loud, this was unacceptable so we went back downstairs and asked for a new room (perhaps with a bathtub as well) we got stuck back in the exact same room but with a quite fridge, yay, same thing hot stuffy, the one window is in the corner behind the desk, so no view. Bathroom was extremly small with a locker room type shower and mold on the grout. I had called back to say we switched rooms but still wasnt impressed and was told by the manager basically thats what I am getting. For the most part I thought the room was quite until late night morning when we were trying to sleep and doors were slamming in the halls, startling at 6am! The room was very warm and our control of the room was not working. Upon checkout which is smooth because they just leave a box for your keys and comment cards, when we were leaving I asked the bell boy how to get back to our parking lot via the path and he grabbed a map from a stack of them,!! and easily showed us (would have been nice for our walk to air canada center) We left the lot and parking cost us $66.00 from check in time to check out, so for one day! I was angry at this point knowing that they had vouchers for 30$ flat rate for the other lot. I went back to the hotel to speak with the manager, and after waiting for 10 minutes with the bell boy desk people who couldnt beleive thats how much it costs, the manager came over and was quite snippy saying she already explained to me yesterday that they dont deal with the parking, basically unlucky for me for choosing the wrong lot (which is on their website!) I told her how much it cost me with reciept in hand and basically shrugged and said sorry, I assured her I would never stay here again and she just turned away. I have worked in customer servoce before and know how things work, I suggest to anyone just for reason that parking will cost you an arm and leg to book somewhere else. Thanks Manager for making what could have been a great perfect night frusterating!

Room Tip: Choose a suite maybe the studio's are horrible!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for a shopping trip on feb 16th. I booked the hotel on a groupon for$109 plus taxes. I have stayed here before and love the rooms. We booked a superior suite on the 10th floor.
Pros: location on the path and closeness to the gardiner expressway.
Beautiful and spacious rooms. Some highlights are, they have a microwave, fridge, washer and dryer, electric fireplace separate sitting room, dishes and toaster.
Amazing building! We enjoyed looking at the bank vault on the bottom floor.
The hotel has a no party policy. You have to sign a waver when you check in. Did not hear a thing all night.
Cons: a little confusion with the parking. The hotel only has limited valet parking. When we checked in the valet attendant said to park at the commerce court and the hotel would provide a discount. When I checked in they said I should have parked at Brookfield. Due, to the confusion the manager said he would cover my parking next weekend as I am back for a girls night. Very good service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi sunfish8,

Although you experienced some inconveniences with the parking, I'm glad we were able to rectify the situation in a way that you found to be acceptable. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and am very glad that you otherwise enjoyed your time spent with us.

We hope you enjoy your girls' night next weekend — be sure to let us know if you need anything while you're here. We look forward to welcoming you back then.

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I looked at One King West as a possible hotel for my large group of out-of-town wedding guests. I contacted their sales office 2 times without a response. Although I should have taken this as a sign for their poor customer service, I still decided to drop in on the actual hotel to try and see some rooms and talk to someone in sales. The first time I came they told me now one was available to help me at that time, but that I should come back later that day. When I later returned I was again turned away. Since I wanted to keep my options open, I made one last dist effort to call and set up a viewing. When I called they told me no one could help me, but that I should contact their sales office (which I had already done twice without a response). Given this was the experience I had as a hot sales lead ready to provide significant business, I can only imagine what it would be like staying their and doing business with them - stay away!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to One King West Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!