“very disappointed with customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of One King West Hotel & Residence

Save Saved
You added One King West Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
One King West Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #39 of 141 hotels in Toronto
toronto
“very disappointed with customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

i booked the room for a night so i can go out to celebrate my birthday and stay in downtown for the night since i don't live close to toronto. unfortunately, that day we got hit with a big snowstorm. a lot of my friends couldn't make it out and it was quite dangerous to drive on the highway. I called the hotel to see if they can change the check in date to the day after given the circumstances. got a flat out, NO, simply because i booked the room through hotwire at a discounted rate. they told me to call back hotwire since they have my money but hotwire informed me that it's up to the hotel whether or not they are willing to change the date for me. hotwire called one king west on my behalf and got the same answer; "no we won't change it because it was booked at a hot rate". in my opinion that's terrible customer service. discounted rate or not, i'm still a paying customer that paid $106 for the room. given such severe weather that we had ,i expected them to be more understanding and work with the customer to find a solution. nope, didn't even try. the hotel is nice, but if something happens on the day of your booking, don't expect them to help you out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

1,270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a concert we were going to at the air Canada center. We arrived in the middle of a snow storm and the warm welcoming staff was much needed after driving 3 hours in white outs to get there. We loved that the hotel was connected directly to the path so we didn't have to spend anymore time in the snow.

The room was very nice. Tall ceilings, nice bathroom and very comfortable bed. Wish I was staying longer! Would be perfect for a long extended stay. Will definetly make this our go-to Toronto hotel.

Should be noted that I stayed in this room at a discounted rate with a groupon. I didn't research what the actual cost of the room was but would estimate its value at 180-230ish a night.

• Stayed February 2013
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi A11isonlee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review with the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with our location (it is really nice to be so close to the ACC, especially during a snow storm!).

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Reservations: Booked on expedia got a pretty good deal for downtown Toronto 110.00+ tax The location is amazing! Yonge/King...can't beat that if you're doing something downtown for the night.

Check In- Smooth, professional staff, very quick and informative. The hot tub was under repair for our stay and we weren't interested in the resistance lap pool they have.

Room- In the old tower on the 6th floor facing a giant wall. If I were to stay again I would request the new tower with views and more modern, but it was what it was. The door was hard to close and lock, seemed to be sticking. It had a microwave, dishwasher, fridge (that stunk! eww) washer and dryer. All cool stuff, but for one night didn't really matter too much. The furnishings and TV could use an update but were clean and in fairly good working order. Room itself was small but had a high ceiling which made it feel spacious.

Bed and linen: Comfortable and good quality. Towels were great as well.

Noise: Wow. the hallways seemed to echo every noise. As guests walked to their rooms, normal conversations seemed quite loud.The housekeepers in the morning (9am) provided a wake up with constant chatter until we checked out before noon....we could hear everything they were talking about, and they never stopped talking.

Washroom: Great supplies of toiletries and bathroom was adequate, bathroom was spotless and modern (except the shower) shower head was horrible and tiles, although clean, was just pretty blah.

Overall, not overly impressed. It may have been a better experience if we were in the newer section (as seen in the pictures) but i won't stay there again to find out when there are so many other choices at that price point.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for one in the highrise section of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi travelbugcheri,

I'm very sorry to read that we failed to make your stay a pleasant one. What you've described here is unlike what our guests have come to expect from us. We do have mechanisms in place to monitor our service quality but in this case they fell short. I sincerely apologize.

I see you wouldn't stay again, but if you'd like to give us another try I'm confident that next time, we can show you why we're one of Toronto's leading hotels. Feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com and I'd be happy to take care of your reservation for you.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Mr. Steve O'Brien,
We had the pleasure of staying at One King West Hotel and Residence for one night in January 2013. We had friends from Newfoundland with us and booked two rooms. We had tickets to go to "War Horse" and this hotel was within easy walking distance to the theatre.
We found the rooms clean and comfortable. We would have liked to have our rooms closer together and had booked in lots of time, but our rooms were quite far apart from each other. It wasn't a big problem (we all needed the exercise) it was just a little inconvenient for visiting.
The price was right for Downtown Toronto and the valet parking wasn't a big deal. We live in very rural Ontario and it is always a treat to get to the "big city". We would certainly like to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi mlb58Toronto,

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were happy with our location and your suite. We hear great reviews for War Horse - I hope you liked the show. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I was told about this hotel from a very close friend of mine. Though she is not as experienced of a traveller as I am, I trusted her opinion and I was sold after seeing the many luxurious pictures of the lobby.

The check in was prolonged as the room was still being cleaned at 4pm. We were then told to leave our bags with the concierge in an attempt to stall as they had the room cleaned. This would have been bearable under normal circumstances, but the slow service caused me to miss the first half of a concert(my only reason for buying the hotel in the first place).

After the concert, I returned to my room only to have difficulty with my room key. Out of desperation and frustration I tried using the key in every manner possible for 10 minutes. I went to the lobby to get a new key that took 4 (correctly performed) swipes to get my door open.

By this time my faith in the hotel was fading so I decided to go to my room and call it a night. The low quality sheets in my room caused my leg to break out in a rash which lasted for 2 weeks. I awoke to loud music being played in the room adjacent to me through the paper thin walls.

If a friend of mine were to ask for my opinion on the hotel experience I would tell them two things: don't let your skin touch the sheets and ask the concierge for 5 keys cause you won't want to go back downstairs for a new key!

One King West - Where you'll be treated like a King

• Stayed September 2012
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi Time2Travel24,

What you have described here is not reflective of what our guests have come to expect from us and I'm very sorry to see that we failed to meet your expectations on a number of levels.

If you'd like to give us another try, I'm sure that we can provide you with an experience that meets your expectations next time. Feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com and I'd be happy to take care of your reservation. I'm confident that we can show you why we're one of Toronto's leading hotels.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at the One King West Hotel. The room was great, the washer and dryer in the room were very practical and the amenities available simplified our stay and saved us some money by not always having to eat out. The only thing is that we had no pots and pans; they were given to us on our day of departure. The staff was welcoming and very helpful when it came to finding activities and restaurants. Overall a great place to stay if you’re looking for a simply great hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Lee-anne L,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We're happy when our guests are happy and it's nice to know that we met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our ninth anniversary. From previous reviews I knew that the higher floors are generally better, but forgot to ask for that since I stay in about 150 hotels a year and was in my usual zombie mode checking in. I also knew we weren't planning on staying in the room all that much since we wanted to get out and about that Saturday night.

I bought the room through Expedia - a "bachelor suite" for $103 + tax, which seemed quite reasonable. Check in was painless, as was the valet parking - all staff were courteous and pleasant. As other reviews noted, the carpets in the halls appeared a bit worn, but they were clean - hard to have perfectly new carpets all the time. The initial impression of the room was great - modern and nice, but yes, tube TV - not that we cared about that since we don't watch TV.

Unlike me, my wife almost never stays in hotels and was greatly dismayed by the pocket door to the bathroom which was misaligned and would not close 100%. I made the mistake of blowing it off since I see all kinds of surprising glitches in "nice" hotels. Maintenance came to look at it while we were out and were unable to fix it that same night, so we were offered a new room but had already unpacked everything and were settled in decided to stay put.

Then the drunk people returned.

I guess the droves of party goers who stayed on our floor (11) also paid only $103 for their rooms. The hour or so of dribs and drabs of people staggering back to their rooms was an unwelcome end to a not perfect evening for my wife - and I paid the price! :(

The next morning we raised the issue of the door (how could that go unnoticed by housekeeping?) and some less than perfect housecleaning (on closer inspection a few things hadn't been vacuumed up from previous guests), and had a sympathetic ear. We're not complainers and weren't looking for freebies at all, but were offered a free breakfast or valet parking (the room itself was prepaid through Expedia so nothing could be done there). We had decided to head out for breakfast so took the free valet parking instead. We emailed the clerk our concerns/photos on the spot and she kindly offered us an upgrade next time around.

Though I wonder how the door and some stuff on the floor could be missed by housekeeping, the staff otherwise were attentive and helpful to a fault. Lesson learned (relearned?), just take your wife's concerns seriously right away :). Overall, odd glitches in our room but decent hotel.

Room Tip: We had the 11th floor and were staring at another building. As everyone says, higher is better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi WJGuy,

I'm very sorry to see that we failed to meet your expectations during your time spent with us and that you were disrupted by other guests that night. I do appreciate you letting us know about your issues/concerns right away, as you can attest, we like to try to make things right for our guests as promptly as we can. We will be sure to fix that bathroom door.

I'm confident that next time we can provide you with a suite that exceeds you and your wife's expectations. Feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com and I'd be happy to take care of your reservation personally.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Steve O'Brien

Been to One King West Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!