“Last minute booking. Great choice 4*” 4 of 5 stars
Review of One King West Hotel & Residence

You added One King West Hotel & Residence to your Saves list
One King West Hotel & Residence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“Last minute booking. Great choice 4*”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked this hotel the night before my stay with Hotwire. Very reasonably priced compared to moderate chain hotels. While they had no smoking rooms available, I was given a room with a balcony so I could indulge.

I arrived in a rush mere minutes before a 6 pm wedding and check in was a breeze. The room was very spacious and very nicely appointed. There was an en suite washer, dryer, refrigerator, microwave and small dishwasher. The bed and linens were extremely comfortable.

The valet parking was pricey at $30 for the night. In room internet was $10. The vending machines are located only on the 12th and 17th floor, which to me was an inconvenience.

Room Tip: Even on the 5th floor, overlooking King and Yonge, the noise level was acceptable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hi dcm997,

I'm glad to know you were happy with your last-minute booking and that we could accommodate your needs. I thank you for posting your review.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Steve O'Brien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here for one night on for a student conference but I'm also a local. Had 2 others in the room which was perfect for the Queen bed and the sofa bed (which could've also fit another person comfortably). I originally thought we were given an upgrade but looking back to their website and room selections, these rooms are wonderful with size! The kichenette was great, even though I didn't use it. The washroom was a great size, not too tight and was very clean.

The "official" entrance to the hotel is not actually on King/Yonge so I initially missed it while coming out of King Station. Even though it's really just RIGHT there... I guess the entrance is on the other side for space reasons but the "back door" can still be a little better to catch =/ Especially for tourists that would be more unfamiliar with the city. I guess the best tip for this is to just look up - always. Even with trying to locate the building of a bank. I found walking back to the hotel was difficult too because you don't know if you're there yet, the sign for the hotel is just not obvious enough.

I didn't have much interaction with front desk staff so I can't comment on that.

Check out was smooth. I was in the Grand Banking Hall for the conference breakfast, which was amazing. The regular breakfast area is rather tiny but it was never jam packed from what I saw. You don't really have a lot of privacy though as it's right smack in the lobby with an open concept. The lobby is also smaller than a typical lobby of a hotel franchise with very few seating.

Can't comment for a longer stay but if you're just looking for a one night crash, this is it!

PS. Their pens are amazing!!! The quality!! Wish I took some more.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a more spectacular view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hi starryxskies,

It's great to see that you were happy with our conference services and your suite. I appreciate your feedback.
I'm also happy to see that you liked the pens!

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

From Niagara Falls (stayed at the Marriot Fallsview), we drove 1.5hrs to Toronto downtown. This is actually like serviced apartments and is located right smack in the middle of the CBD area. The financial district is the place to be in Toronto city. Its better priced than the other big hotels in the vicinity. Service is not very fast though. The lobby is designed like a bank so you can imagine the lobby is not the most welcoming sight. But the lobby is not a concern. After all you shd worry abt the room - which was clean and spacious. The bathroom was small - but I let it slide given that this is designed as a service apt than a hotel. There is a bar in the lobby, surprisingly occupied day or night. We did not have any view as we were in midst of sky-scrapers. I wld recommend given the room, price (I managed to get discounted price btw) and the location. I was with my mom & Aunt. They liked the mini kitchen in the room and with a small little dining area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi NatsInAction,

Like you, your mum and your aunt, many of our guests really appreciate our in-suite amenities and I thank you for pointing it out. I'm sorry to read that you found our service to be not as fast as you would have liked. In future, please let us know immediately if something does not meet your expectations, as we can take corrective action.
I'm pleased to know that overall, you were happy with your stay. Thank you for your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travel plans bring you to Toronto.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Enjoyed my stay at One King West and will definitely have this hotel on my list when I travel to Toronto again. The room was clean and modern. The view was gorgeous in the morning (well it helps that I woke up to a sunny day). The location is also convenient but lobby of the hotel is not the easiest to find. There is no room service for breakfast in the morning. Also, no bottled water in the room so you would have to call for room service to just get some water!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi ProudCanadianTravell,

It's great to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had the pleasure of such a great view on a sunny morning! In future, please let us know at the time of booking if you'd like to have bottled water in your suite, as we'd be happy to provide that for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is wonderfully situated as has been said in all the previous reviews. Everything is close at hand. The dining room was disappointing, also the bar which was small, noisy and in the entrance. But the buildingitself is fabulous, in the old Dominican bank with the huge vaults on display (and indeed used for functions), a direct path to the underground shopping and we were fortunate to have a wonderful room at the end, facing the lake and on the 23rd floor. Impeccably clean and comfortable; with all the modern appliances for those staying for a period of time: dishwasher, micro, washing and drying machine...in fact all you need. The bed was extremely comfortable and the only problem was that the television did not work so well, and as it was pouring with rain on the night we stayed, we did in fact need it. But would highly recommend it for the service, cleanliness and proximity to everything. One small point: it is very easy for anyone to get through the doors and into the lifts, as the security is non existant on that point, but Toronto seemed to be a safe city, so it's probably not so important

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi IsobellaParis,

I appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to provide your review with TripAdvisor's readers. We take our guests' security very seriously, so I'm thankful that you brought this to my attention. I'll be sure to raise this with our security staff.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, overall, and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel with a few guests from out of town. As a local, I had been to One King West for events, and was excited to finally be staying the night at what I consider to be a swanky hotel. The allure of the hotel was its location, within proximity of subway, restaurants, clubs etc. which met our needs.

We got a suite with the king size bed, pull-out couch and kitchen area on the 18th floor.

Now for the positives, the hotel offers valet parking for $30 with in and out privileges, which is great especially if you have to come and go in the same day and for downtown parking, its a good price. Just be prepared to wait for your car for about 10-15 minutes (I guess it depends on the traffic, so call ahead). The valet staff were friendly and courteous, and so were the bell hops. The kitchen area (which we used) is quite good too with black, sleek appliances (no oven btw), but fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker were all in great condition. The bed was lovely too and those who used the pull-out couch had no issues. Overall a comfortable night.

Now for some nit-picking - from the website photos, they show hotel rooms with flat-screen tvs and amazing bathrooms, but that was not our suite. For a hotel of this caliber, they still had the old HUGE tv in the room. It really looked out of place. The bathroom was kind of cramped, and it had what had to be the oldest style of shower-head I have seen. Again, definitely not in keeping with the rest of the hotel style. We also did not get any face towels and had to call down twice for these, which was odd.

Outside of these two items, it was a great stay, we didn't hear noise from hallways or other rooms (maybe coz we were making all the noise? hmm), and service was good. We were there on a Saturday and the hotel was really busy, so there were lineups at the elevators, but that was not a hotel problem.

I would definitely stay here again, but I would make sure to get a room that looks like their website photos. We are paying customers afterall. Cheers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sobrien_GM, General Manager at One King West Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hi Ciru_TO,

Although there were many aspects of our hotel that you were pleased with, I'm sorry to hear that we failed to meet your standards in others. I always appreciate constructive feedback such as yours, as it ensures that we continue to stay on our toes.

Next time, please contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com and I'll be sure to provide you with a suite that meets your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at One King West so I had a place to stay after an event in the city-didn't want to do the long drive back. Location was amazing, its located right downtown. King Subway station is right across the street, Shoppers Drug Mart and Starbucks near by. Stayed in a suite with a King bed and Kitchenette. I was surprised that they still had the old tube TVs as everything else in the hotel looked pretty modern. My only complaint was that although the bathroom appeared to be cleaned (no visible dirt or associated nastiness) it just smelled awful! I could go into detail about what it smelled like but I will spare you all the details. I didn't really care to complain at the time since I got a pretty good deal on Travelocity and it was only 1 night. Would stay here again but solely on location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hi travelbugz2006,

I'm terribly sorry to read that you experienced an issue with the washroom in your suite! I understand that you were only with us for one night, but please do let us know in future immediately if something doesn't meet your standards. We would have liked to have rectified the situation. We want our guests to have as pleasant of a stay as possible.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@onekingwest.com next time your travel plans bring you back to Toronto and I'd be happy to take care of your reservation personally. I'll ensure that you receive a suite that absolutely meets your standards.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Steve O'Brien

Been to One King West Hotel & Residence? Share your experiences!