“Perfect hideaway location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto

You added Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Colborne Street, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1E1, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Your Holiday Escape
Ranked #75 of 141 Hotels in Toronto
“Perfect hideaway location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here for the easter weekend and it was wonderful! Le marche restaurant close by to this hotel, eaton centre, convenient pharmacy shoppers, tims, sub just very central. The hotel itself was perfect! Loved my room on the 26th floor. Washer dryer which I appreciated staying for 4 days. Food wasn't too bad but my preference was to go out. The bar downstairs is quaint not a huge selection in wine but the service there was great. They are all willing to help you in whatever you need! Paid parking is a HUGE annoyance for me when I am already staying at your hotel! Further down the street is underground. It was free. My balcony view was alright. More buildings surround me so it was more just height but I still appreciated it. Bed pillow was not comfortable but bed itself was decent. Enjoy your stay!:)

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I booked this hotel for a seminar that was taking place at the exchange center. My original criteria for selecting the cosmo was that it was a 4 star with strong reviews and very close to everything.

I will describe the aspects of this hotel in such a way that anyone skimming this review can likely jump to what is important.

The room:
I was in a Zen Suite (their cheapest room). This room was MUCH bigger than i expected. a fully functional kitchenette, living room, decent and clean washroom and a very decently sized bedroom. The bed was excellent. The washer and dryer was a surprise. The living room was nice enough that I entertained friends one evening (and actually cooked up something for them). The bathroom was very bright and clean, but the toilet could have used some maintenance. I did not really have a view on the 11th floor (except into the opposing office building... and they could likely see me very well as well), but this just is not an issue for me. If anyone else needs a view, specifically request a room near the top of the hotel. One thing to note, I would not call this room child friendly. It is definitely geared towards adults (modern, simple, elegant). In addition, the sound proofing was not the best. I expect that if you bring children, it will in fact be you disturbing other clients. This again was not an issue for me but should be considered.

Location:
If you are planning to walk, it is a great spot. Minutes from most anything in the core downtown. The road was not easy to get to by car because of construction, and I am told this is not uncommon, and parking (should you need it) is not cheap... about $35/night (I flew in).

First Impressions:
When you first walk in, it is somewhat claustrophobic in the entrance area. VERY small. The hallways too. As a result, I started out with a weak impression of what this stay will be like. I felt much better when I found my room.

Staff:
Extremely nice and helpful. A newspaper at my door every morning, and everyone seemed to genuinely enjoy working at this hotel. Makes for a nice change. I was a bit thrown off by women coming in the evening with incense or other aroma items, but it is a spa'ish/zen'ish hotel, and it fits with the theme.

Overall, it was certainly more than I expected, and if I need to stay downtown for multiple days, I will certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Again, if you want a view you will need a room near the top.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thornhill, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on November 11 for one night. I booked it with Quickbook because they offered a great rate of 129.00. When we were checking in, the hotel had us booked at $159.00 and promised to correct the error. I should not have been suprised that when we were checking out, I was charged the higher rate and it took a while to ensure that I got my credit card refunded on the spot. We encountered incompetence and sloppy service throughout our stay including waiting for slippers for an hour and returning to the front desk several times because rooms cards were not working. But the worst of it came several days later when I checked my credit card statement and found out that were were charged over $40.00 for wine and chocolate that were not even in the room as alcohol was locked in the fridge. I won't repeat what other reviewers said about the accommodations but they are not comfortable or zen. Bathroom tiles were not cleaned in a while, floors were dusty so you could not work without shoes, and sofa was not big enough for 2 people to sit comfortably. We booked this hotel because of its location and positive reviews but I can't recommend my experience to anyone. We travel a fair bit, and don't place unreasonable demands on places where we stay, but this stay was the worst.

Room Tip: Book a room, if you dare, on higher floors as the hotel is facing an office building
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I was originally booked in for two nights which I prepaid online through the hotel's website. It was a visit for leisure, so location (while being central was important, where in the downtown I was was not) wasn't a primary concern. However, the location was excellent as well.

The entrance to the hotel is on a side street, and while the reception area is rather intimate, the quality of service and the quality and size of the rooms made up for it. Who really hangs out in the lobby, anyway?

I was only able to stay one of the nights I'd intended as my dog escaped from where we had boarded him which meant I had to travel home to join the search, but my one night was enough to absolutely ensure my return.

Upon learning of my predicament, the front desk staff went ahead and issued me a partial refund - even without my having requested any refund - and expressed their sincere concern. It was excellent treatment that left me with the impression they truly valued my business.

I have recommended this hotel to others, and will continue to do so. I look forward to my next stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

great hotel - has everything you need friendly environment - with a city like Toronto you can (if you feel fit enough) walk length and width - i never used the spa, it looked OK but I just liked the feel of the place, just so central...

Room Tip: all seem on a par to me - there is not really a view to talk about.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The location is fine, near enough to business area, shopping centre and sights - and there is a good choice of bars and restaurants at the east end of the street. Rooms are a good size and the living/kitchen area is useful, but the overall standard of decor, cleanliness and repair is not great. It's fine to stay for a couple of days but don't expect high end boutique hotel standard - it's a travelodge wanting to be a boutique. Having to pay for internet usage is ridiculous, doesn't add anything to the experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

Returning to the Cosmpolitan after a few years, we expected the same quality we had experienced before. Unfortunately, the quality has declined.

We were shocked by the amount of mildew growing in the shower. This amount of mold is what you might expect at a YMCA or public shower but not at a boutique hotel. Note to management: a small amount of bleach kills mildew.

After immediately complaining and showing the front desk rep, he showed me two other rooms which were equally accentuated with moldy showers. We picked the least moldy and tried to bear it.

I am uploading pictures that really do not quite illustrate the level of uncleanliness but give you a pretty good idea.

Also, when returning to the hotel on a Saturday night at 10pm, we wanted to have a glass of wine at the bar but were told it was a $10 cover for each of us because there was an event. Even when we explained we were staying at the hotel, we were told it did not matter.

Hotel Fail.

Get it together, Cosmopolitan management, or your friendly staff will be out of jobs when you close your doors.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Cosmopolitan Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!