“Change the seats!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Massey Hall

Massey Hall
178 Victoria St, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1T7, Canada (Downtown Toronto)
+1 416 872 4255
Canada
48 attraction reviews
“Change the seats!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Massey Hall is great acoustically, but if you are over 180cm in height, your body will be complaining before the evening is over. The hall is in serious need of new seats.

London, Canada
14 attraction reviews
“Fine old music hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Massey Hall is one our favourite places to see a concert, red velvet chairs and all! If you're into vintage, then you'll love the vibe of this place. Baton Rouge is a great place for ribs and within walking distance.

Windsor, Ontario
23 attraction reviews
“Great little venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I decided to write up this review as TA is lacking for this venue/

Hit this place in November for Noel Gallagher and his High Flying Birds. Had never ben before, great venue. Yes its old, but thats part of he charm of it for me. Nice looking building, worn in spots but had it where it counted ... you can really feel the heritage in this place ......

Staff was friendly at the door. NO they did NOT search anyone for any reason that I saw or experienced. I didn't bring my camera which I regret. No line really .... people moved in quite fast.

There is a bar downstairs, which actually is kind of large. Drinks are in the $7-8 dollar range, all sorts of memorabilia on the walls. Somewhat varied drink menu which was nice. YES you can bring drinks out and to your seat, just need to get a lid for your beverage of choice. I think they allow 2 per patron.

The washroom situation is actually not too bad. Lots of stalls and urinals. Sorry to be weird, but people may want to know. I did experiecne a line up, but it moved quickly, and no one was peeing in any sinks thank the maker!

We had front row seats! Yes it was awesome. The seats kind of slide forward, so it gives you a better reclined view as well. The seats were fine, yes old, but fine. I don't know how many people this place holds, but its not a huge venue. From what I can tell there are some obstructed views due to posts and up on top at the back seemed difficult to see. The acoustics are great in there.

Security guys stand in the front row. They apparently DO NOT care if you have a camera. Many people including myself took video footage. I would hesitate to use flash, that may garnish attention, but overall as long as everyone behaved and stayed in their seat (everyone at this show stood) you will be fine.

I'd see a concet here anytime!

On a side note, I got my tickets though Stub Hub as I had missed the original sale date. I experienced no problems what so ever despite the policy on their site against resale. No one scrutinized tickets at the door, so I assume any such policy is not enforced if at all even possible. My guess it is more of a general deterrent as best.

Cheers!

Visited November 2011
Oakville, ontario
230 attraction reviews
“A Grand Old Lady”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Have attended numerous Gordon Lightfoot concerns here since the 1970's mainly but have seen other artists here as well. I always like going down to the bar in the basement prior to any event and seeing the pictures of the numerous artists that have been here over the years plus the historic events as well. I find that the better seats are more comfortable compared to the cheaper seats. Ushers have always been friendly and helpful.Because this building was built in the 1880's, it certainly has a historic feeling to it thus it is showing its age as a "Grand Old Lady".

Visited May 2011
Canada
33 attraction reviews
“Great Acoustics but place is very tired and seating so uncomfortable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Went to see Billy Connelly and for the price found it to be OK ($ 250 each). The acoustics are great but the place is so in need of renovation. Decor is drab and the seats are so uncomfortable we all (8 of us) left the show with back ache. I think the seats were probably the biggest laugh of the lot!