“This bread is spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #169 of 6,995 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Bakeries
“This bread is spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Have tried two different loaves now -- chocolate and aniseed. The biga/sponge is perfect, the flavours subtle and the crust crunchy and just right. Have also tried a small selection of other goodies that were just as good. The sandwiches look amazing. Looking forward to trying everything especially all the breads. Yum.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Authentic artisanal bakery that also serves Pizza al Taglia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This has to be the way of the future for the bakery business ! A clean and rustic space with the bakery section in plain view although separated from the retail part by a glass panel. Using great specialty flours the loaves of bread all looked amazing and were unmistakably 'substantial'. A large counter that spans the length of the room shows off authentic Italian bread and Italian inspired creations as well. A very large selection of biscotti and ameretti and all sorts of other cookies sell by weight at 40$ a kilo. I bought 12 $ worth of assorted cookies and got about 15. I think Alimentos cookies were better but I am grateful nonetheless that we now have a new bakery in the area. I got 4 loaves of bread for a weekend brunch I hosted today and I have never had better or more unique brioche ( orange flavoured). Also great rosemary olive ciabatta/batard and then two loaves of the crusty kind : a chocolate/walnut and a cornmeal and herb - each loaf at $5. Well worth it as I have often paid more ( 6-7 $ ) at farmers markets. At the far end there was a secton dedicated to the Pizzarium or Pizza Metro or Pizza al Taglia style Pizza. This style originates in Rome if I am correct and the base typically has some spelt in it - it comes in 'lengths" and I bought a slab enough to serve 6 people a smallish piece for $7. The tomato topping was bright and awesome. The base was very good and it reheated very well. This bakery also sells two kinds of imported canned tomatoes, some jars of high end spreads and olives and some olive oil. All very expensive at 11$ and 17$ for jarred olives and artichokes so I had to leave them on their shelves. I got a can of tomatoes that were wonderful and inexpensive at under $3. This will definitely be my new go-to bakery outside of Kensington market . The bakery is located in a basement-level space with windows just above ground. You could easily miss it if driving by but not if a-foot. I will be a regular here and I hope they have a long and happy reign !

Visited November 2013