“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Annex Quest House

You added Annex Quest House to your Saves list
Annex Quest House
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   83 Spadina Road, Toronto, Ontario M5R2T1, Canada (The Annex)   |
Ranked #24 of 126 Toronto B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buenos Aires
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

The Annex Quest House is in a beautiful and comfortable neighbourhood. Close to the subway, to many museums, University of Toronto. Shops and restaurants' area nearby.
It's peaceful, quiet, and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
The decoration is nice and it's been considered in detail, considering it's a B&B.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Althouth the staff was helpful and friendly, the main attraction of Annex Quest is its promoted design, based upon "vastu" principles (ancient Vedic architectural and interior design which is supposed to be good for the soul). Unfortunately, this amounted to little more than a few plants, beveled corners, some quaint Indian furnishings and a few hanging tapestries. There is NO guest lounge, the 'breakfast' of granola bars were sometimes not in the basket, my garden room was dark and musty, the walls were too thin allowing every sound nearby to be heard (including a woman next door who was practicing her speech in the middle of the night). Not very comfortable nor good for my soul, I'm afraid. Its location, right next to a subway station is okay, but it wasn't really worth staying here (especially the garden/basement rooms -- the ones above might have been nicer).

• Liked — nice staff
  • Disliked — no lounge, noisy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Canada (new comer)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

As a new comer from Israel to Canada, this hotel helped me a lot
Here are just ome of the goodies:
- hospitality, especially of Dion, the manager. I've got many
advices and tips, even before I had a chance to ask...
Whenever I came back I felt as rerurning home.
- great monthly room+high speed internet rate . I could pay a reasonable price and take my time to look for an appartment to rent (even got help in the hotel).
- (small) surprises. In spite of the fact that this hotel is without meals (just a coffee maker and microwave) , they surprise you with stuff like choclate covered coockie, juices and even pop corn.
- it access to the subway is great.
- other than that, room and showers are well maintained and cleaned.

I've really enjoyed it and will miss it.

Gil

• Liked — Price and Hospitality
  • Disliked — Lack of breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

This was my second visit to the Annex Quest House, both times for a week long stay during the Toronto Film Festival. Three years ago I had visited a friend who was staying there and enjoyed what I saw. Let me start by saying if you are looking for a bustling hotel experience in the heart of the tourist areas of Toronto with full amenities then this may not be for you.

BUT, if you are looking to experience a stay in a safe "real" neighborhood, quiet surroundings, and respectful guests, then this is a great place to stay, especially for a single traveler. Many of the other guests I have met were also returnees which I think says a lot.

The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly, treating me like an old friend upon my return. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and though modestly sized, you need to ask yourself how much time do you really spend in a room when you are away? For me it was to check e-mail, shower and sleep.

The price is very attractive ($90/night compared to $185+ for most hotels) and being 8 steps away from a subway entrance is a big plus. They are generous to guests, offering free bottled water, coffee packs (a coffee maker is in the room) and granola bars.

A wish list for the future? Maybe a full length mirror on the back of the door or wall. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

The Annex Quest House is one of the best lodging deals I've found. For the price of a dumpy, musty, low-end chain motel room you get fresh, clean, charming lodgings. Certainly, it is simple and with no frills, but they have gone to great effort to get the most out of basic materials. They have succeeded in making the rooms pleasant and unusual.

In booking a room I paid more attention to the price than the blurb about the rooms being designed according to "vastu" principles. I thought it might be something religious (and it may be), but vastu turns out to be the Indian version of Feng Shui and the effect is charming. The room even smelled nice - a fresh herbal, spicy scent (not the usual stale, moldy odor you get in a hotel room of any price), it was brightly painted with a matching Indian bedspread. There were the usual basic motel room accouterments: refrigerator, microwave, tv, radio-clock and coffee-maker, coffee, and snacks (only oversight here was that there was no provision to make tea). I had a basement room - the cheapest in the place, and it was small, but there was a window that opened (barred) and a fan to keep the room fresh and cool. The design principles seem to be: keep it plain, functional, cohesive, and colorful.

The bathroom sink was a piece of art - made of inexpensive, basic materials, of course - a copper basin in the shape of an inverted bell, set on a sparse, black, wooden stand. The shower was clean and fairly new, the water pressure was good, and the hot water was plentiful. The staff was nice, friendly and helpful, though I hardly saw them as I was usually there outside of office hours (10am to 7pm).

The location was optimal for me - I was attending a weekend event near the corner of Spadina and Bloor about two blocks away. There is a subway station just next door. It is a nice residential/college neighborhood. The restaurant and bar choices on nearby Bloor are mind-boggling. If you go out looking for a place to eat or drink, wear your walking shoes, you'll go for blocks and blocks and there will still be something more interesting on the next block over.

The hotel was fairly quiet at night, there were a few outdoor noises (Friday night on a holiday weekend) and some early in the morning as other residents left the hotel. The second night I wore light earplugs and was not disturbed.

The negative comments I've read here seem to come from people who expected a standard chain-motel room. If that is your preference I recommend you go there. If you want something unusual, aesthetically pleasing, and frugal - this is THE place.

• Liked — The low cost
  • Disliked — the restricted office hours
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I visited Toronto for a week last July 2008. I fell in love with the City and its attractions. I know I'll be back in the future!

One of the things I loved about the City was the place I stayed in, The Annex Quest House. It is an affordable and cozy place that fills the needs of a single person looking for a quiet, clean, peaceful and nice place to stay. My room was provided with microwave oven, an small freezer, coffemaker, tv, a private full bathroom, air conditioner and a comfortable bed. I loved my room and I found hard to leave it!

It is well located because is just besides a subway station and if you need buses or streetcar you just need to walk a couple of blocks to catch them. You will find a 7eleven very close to the house and a lovely Public Library! (for those who, like me, loves reading!)

The staff is the nicest! They take care of your needs without intruding in your privacy, they give you excellent suggestions for your trip if you need them, and in their faces you always find sincere smiles.

I hope in the future they consider the idea of including breakfast for their guests. This would be ven better!

When I visit Toronto again I will stay at Annex Quest House again. Really loved it!

• Liked — The staff and the room itself
  • Disliked — That they have no breakfast included
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Kingston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

This place had a strange smell. It's on Spadina and it's not in the best part of town. We were concerned for our car in the miniscule parking lot out back. There were I think 5 parking spots - way too few for the number of rooms.

The photos on their Web site are postage-stamp size. You might ask yourself why.

The corridors were dark and gloomy. Our room was dark and gloomy as well. This was the kind of room you didn't want to walk around in with bare feet.

I could go on and on and on, but you'd never get the picture. I disliked this place so much I put up a blog about it. Plenty of pictures there! We felt like we were really ripped off!

See the blog at [--]

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — Absolutely everything else. It's the worst place I've ever stayed!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Annex Quest House? Share your experiences!