“Adequate ....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Annex Quest House

You added Annex Quest House to your Saves list
Annex Quest House
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   83 Spadina Road, Toronto, Ontario M5R2T1, Canada (The Annex)   |
Special Rate
$89 Single, $95 Double
Ranked #27 of 122 Toronto B&B and Inns
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
“Adequate ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here for six nights. mid-May 2013. Found the place by calling the Toronto B&B line and they recommended it. I went to the website to check it out and was very impressed.

There are definitely good and bad points to this place. It really is all we needed for a week in Toronto, since we were basically just using the room to sleep and shower. However, upon arriving I was very surprised at the comparison to the website. They must have an excellent photographer to make it appear so pretty and modern. Their description at times led me to believe I would be walking into something much different, but considering the excellent price perhaps it was just my false impression. I can certainly understand them doing their best to present their accommodations in the best light on their website. It was most definitely clean and comfortable, but extremely basic.

Vastu Rooms - not sure what this meant, but decorating was cheap, rooming-house quality.
Ensuite bathroom - it did include a toilet, shower and sink, but tub was child-size and floor space was large enough to turn around, that's about it. The mirror was a small old-seeming thing that closed up on itself and when you opened it, seemed like it was about to fall off the wall.
Free Wi-fi - had no problem with the wi-fi, except it kept needing to be re-set on a daily basis.
A/C and heating - worked fine. Temperatures were beautiful while we were there so we just kept the window open for fresh air for the most part.
Mini-fridge, coffee maker, microwave - we only used the fridge, but they all seemed newer and in good working order.
Cable TV - the smallest oldest TV I've seen in a long time, but it did work.
Free snacks and bottled water - readily available, mostly dollar-store snacks and bargain granola bars, etc.

The area/district was perfect. Close to the corner of Bloor & Spadina, walking distance to pretty much everything and if you're not a walker, the subway is literally at the doorstep. We had a rental car but it really wasn't necessary unless you are leaving the city. Very central location and we felt safe walking around at all hours.

Parking - four spots out back and only $35 for the whole stay. Excellent, considering most hotels seem to charge that much per day.

All in all, if you are expecting anything more than a clean, rooming-house type place, you will be disappointed, but for the price and location, this place probably can't be beat.

I would stay again if looking for a budget vacation where sleep and shower is all that is required of the accommodations.

Staff were beyond friendly, although they are only available 10-6.

On the last day, we came back in the evening to find the towels had not bee replaced in the room. The office was closed so we called the "emergency" number, since we were flying out in the morning and definitely needed showers. The owner/manager who answered was apologetic and helpful, referring us to call a special number from the room phone and they would take care of it. Called this number and they very nice lady who answered gave me a code to get into a lock box and get a key card to an empty room, where I found fresh towels to bring to my room. I was quite impressed with this service, as I would have felt terrible if I caused someone to have to leave their home at that hour to bring me towels. Other than that, towels were replaced every day without a problem, there must have been a small mix-up that day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I did not enjoy my stay here. I found it very noisy (not so much the street traffic as the comings and goings of other guests at all hours). I finally resorted to ear plugs, which I almost never use. The blanket on the bed was not warm enough. When I asked for an extra blanket, I was told to turn on the heater. The heater has one setting -- on or off. So I spent half the night feeling hot and the other half cold. Reading other reviews, I imagine your experience here depends very much on which room you wind up getting. Mine was on the ground floor, right next to the reception area. Needless to say, it was my first and last time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Positives: location near Spadina and Bloor, price, decor, simplicity, fresh air ( windows opened!), free wifi, quiet, lots of drawers. Good email contact prior to stay and directions on how to get in since we arrived late in evening.
Negatives. Small crowded room (where to stash suitcase?), nobody on desk before 10 am or after ? pm. Blinds wouldn't close completely, broken at bottom, so morning light woke us too early.
We are two retired fixed-income seniors who dislike both price and feeling of most hotels. Glad we found this and would stay again when residences at U of T not available.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tustin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Annex Quest House at the end of February. It was late and very cold when we arrived. Dion had left instructions on checking in and once inside our room, we were able to heat up water for tea and coffee. The room was very clean and very cozy. Our room was at the front of the building and, thus, we could hear traffic on Spadina. I would suggest a room near the back for those desiring a quiet night's sleep. All in all, Dion and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. The bottled water came in very handy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We visited Toronto for 1 week on a business trip. On a day we arrived it was -20. It was very cold. Luckily the hotel was right next to the subway station so we didn't have to walk outside at all. They have provided water, snacks, coffee, which was all very helpful when you don't have time or it's too cold to go anywhere. We found very good restaurants on Bloor which is very close to the location. We defenatelly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visited the U of Toronto for a week in early January and my stay at the Annex Quest House was really great. You can make tea, coffee and help yourself to free bottled water and granola bars if you so wish. Annex is centrally located, clean and comfy. Feels like rooms in a welcoming home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed for a few nights in January at the Annex Quest House before I could move into my permanent accommodation. As as U of T Exchange Student staying alone, I felt incredibly safe, staff were very friendly and felt I could always ask for help - emails back and fourth arranging the reservation were quick and very polite too. Great location, rooms good, and much better priced than the hotels in the area, would definitely stay again. Microwave and fridge in room were very much appreciated too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Annex Quest House? Share your experiences!