“Awesome experience. My Fav TO place to sleep.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Drake Hotel Toronto

You added Drake Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Drake Hotel Toronto
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6J 1J3, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome experience. My Fav TO place to sleep.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Stayed here for one weekend in August 09'. We booked the Medium Sized Den. And also in the smaller crashpad a few years back.

Check-in/out was a breeze and fast. Staff is really amazing and friendly.
Our room was not exactly your typical hilton hotel layout as you can see from the pictures posted. It feels warm and comfortable and the beds were really nice as well. A little on the small side but for two adults its perfect for a weekend getaway. SUPER clean as well.

The Hotel is just awesome with so many activites going on. The friday there was so much going on at night we didn't even leave the place. Two Dj's spinning on the main lobby, indie band in the basement, skybar was loaded with people so we thought there was no point in searching elsewhere outside the place. Plus an art show with some interesting.

The Coffeeshop at the side has a great selection of all sorts in the morning. definately worth checking out.

Sure it's more expensive than your typical nice hotel but you just can't beat the design and work put into this place. Its also farther down on Queen St W. away from most of the nightlife if thats what your into. But several art displays, small restaurants worth checking out.

I'll definately be staying here again next summer. You can't beat the service and overall feel of this place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

We were excited about this hotel because it seems like there isn't much to offer in the way of funky hotels in Toronto. The funkiness was great, but we were disappointed with the rooms. They were just too small to be comfortable.
The staff were friendly (what else would you expect from Canadians?) and the location was ok.
I would recommend this for someone looking for a different style.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_LeClaire, Front Desk Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 29, 2009
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for the recommendation!

We are sorry you were disappointed with the room as, along with our commitment to urban style and genuine hospitality, Drake is proud to offer a variety of well appointed guest accommodations to suit the needs and desires of all our guests. From our intimate Crash Pads to the newly renovated Suite we have the room to make your next stay comfortable and memorable.
Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed at the Drake for two nights with a wedding party. This place was hip AND good, a rare combination. Three venue locations within the hotel for night life make this a geat fit for night life lovers. The staff was helpful,friendly, and on their game. Food was great. In house event planning and attention to detail was also first class. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

I have to admit I'm only just getting around to writing a review for my stay at the Drake, which was actually last year, so it may have changed since then. We had a good stay - nice design, nice rooms, fantastic location and good bar downstairs. I liked the bathroom and the Aveda products.

I was getting over jetlag when we stayed here so I didn't have the most exciting stay, but there was a lot going on near by. The downside was that we could hear a lot of the music from downstairs; it wasn't quite the calm haven I'd hoped for - but then, I guess you can't have everything and it did boast a fantastic & lively location so I should probably have expected it to be a bit noisy. Fab staff, very helpful. My partner went and hung out at the bar and drank the cocktails that we'd been given free vouchers for and thought the bar (and the cocktails) were great.

I had a good stay, don't get me wrong - but I might stay somewhere else next time as I think I am just not cool enough to really enjoy the Drake. Maybe a bit quieter or just less 'on trend'. So if you are looking for somewhere fabulous, stay here - it really was fab. Just not me. I am clearly becoming an old granny (at the grand old age of 26!) who likes a bit of peace and quiet and isn't too cool for school. Or cool enough for the Drake. Or something. I did like the nice design though and I feel bad for not being in love with the experience. I bet you would be.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I checked into The Drake for a single night, on my own on the way through Toronto after the friend I was supposed to be staying with turned out to be in China. And it was a pretty good result...
The hotel is very, very cool. Small (only 19 rooms) and trendy (think mismatched vintage furniture) but excellent service, friendly staff, a very comfy bed and a location in a cool part of town - all hip bars, fashionable restaurants, clothing boutiques and vintage furniture shops.
I stayed in a 'crash pad' which was tiny, but enough for me for a night. It would have got decidedly claustrophobic for more than a night or with someone else, but for this purpose it was fine, if a little expensive (although it was the last night of the Toronto Film Festival, so maybe that was to be expected).
It was a slightly odd trip, as I was in transit to the US and didn't have much time in town, but The Drake is a cool hotel - backed up with the 'cool hotel' books it's featured in sitting around the room. It would definitely be a serious contender if I came back to Toronto, but if I was travelling with someone else, it would have to be a bigger room and they get kind of expensive...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I was despondent to leave the hip, quirky environs of The Drake. I loved everything about this place -- the location in a funky arts district, the original art in every room, the small size (19 rooms, I think), the fact that a wonderful coffee shop/resto is on the ground floor and an open-air bar/resto is on level 2, but mostly I loved the staff. Young, fashionable and refreshingly free of attitude. Very knowledgeable and quick to help.

When was the last time you stayed in a hotel with a curator on staff? The Drake has one.

I'm a 40-something traveler who was apprehensive about the noise level after reading some reviews on this site. I needn't have worried. I was there three nights while parties related to the Toronto International Film Festival raged below me. I slept like a log all three nights -- tho' I did use earplugs one night.

I wouldn't think of going to Toronto and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Nice staff, comfortable room. The bath is open to the room, so if you are traveling with someone you should be comfortable using toilet/showering/etc in front of them (ie, OK with partner, but not necessarily your daughter).

Great room service meal from the restaurant.

Only complaint is the noise from the club. This is more of a hipster/after-hours scene than a business hotel

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Ana_Yuristy, Hotel Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
Throughout the Toronto International Film Festival, the city comes alive with parties and events of all kinds. At the Drake, our 4AM license gives guests + patrons extra time to enjoy lively music programming + cultural happenings. We appreciate that not everyone is here to join the celebrations, but we go out of our way to ensure that our hotel rooms are sanctuaries for a quiet night’s rest, despite the dynamic lobby and food + beverage venues. As our guest, please don’t hesitate to let us know what we can do to make your environment more comfortable and relaxing during your stay with us.

X(OH!)

Been to Drake Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!