“I want to live here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 142 hotels in Toronto
Rugby, United Kingdom
“I want to live here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

First time I have ever reviewed mid stay!

This place is just perfect! I mean faultless...they know what customers want and give it in bucket loads.

From the moment you check in the attentive but not overbearing staff can't do enough. The guy checking me in made sure I had all the local knowledge, gave maps and was proactive.

I had a crash pad which on entering had a hint of lavender in the room, very relaxing.

The room was small but like a mini car had all the features you need. It's designed perfectly, I mean people have thought about the customers experience

Breakfast in the cafe down stairs is a relaxed affair, with great food.

The hotel attracts a great bunch of people and the bars are worth checking out.

I was worried I would be too old, and not fit in. Far from it, this hotel has created a unique atmosphere with staff who enjoy their work and it shows.

Stayed July 2014

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Wachtebeke, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

It was our second stay at Drake Hotel Toronto, and we're still in love with the place. The first time, we stayed in the suite (which is unfortunately wasn't available right now), so this time we spend a couple of nights in one of their smaller rooms which - luckily - doesn't feel small at all.
The deco, the atmosphere and the wonderful people make this place one the greatest to stay.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Pick whatever room, I'm pretty sure they all look great!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I just stayed in the suite at the Drake last night. I would have given it a higher rating if it weren't having an identity crisis. The room was lovely and the staff were accommodating.

I live on the east side of downtown Toronto and I booked the Drake as a treat for its convenient location near a number of west-side venues where I celebrated by 30th birthday. I planned to have cocktails there with friends before dinner and host some night owls after the bars closed. The language on the Drake website invites these plans. My room is described as "having ample room to enjoy a cocktail or two". Another room caters to "the kind of guest who only retreats to the bedroom once the party downstairs is over" and advises the guest to bring ear plugs.

Meanwhile, after booking, I was informed of a policy restricting guests of hotel patrons after midnight. And in actual fact, my guests and I were hassled about getting into the hotel even before midnight. We were informed by security in the most ironic way that "this is not a party hotel". At the time of those remarks, there was a sign near the door that read "party" and a line-up of party-goers out the door...

In any case, the real dilemma is this: if I and the other respectful (read: tame) professionals I hang out with cannot enjoy the space I've booked in the same unrestricted way as I enjoy my own adult apartment, then perhaps there is no reason for me to stay at the Drake.

The Drake needs to decide. I'd recommend just going with the image that people already seek out. Embrace being a place to party and add complimentary ear plugs for all guests to the champagne and popcorn you already welcome people with.

I enjoyed my time a the Drake - I just resent being treated as if I'm living in a university dorm.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

If you want to be right in the middle of all the action, this is your hotel. It is clean, quirky, has four bars/restaurants and other watering holes are close by. Float Toronto is just about to open and it is almost across the street!

Room Tip: I was in the room at the end of the hall, on the 2nd floor, avoided a lot of potential noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The specs: Crash Pad (room 307), 4 nights stay, just the two of us (10th anniversary), first time to Toronto. The room: super fun, immaculate, comfy - and quiet even on a Friday night (we specifically requested a quieter room) - the perfect respite after long days of walking in the city. The food: breakfast at the cafe was excellent (pancakes with blueberries+lemon - yes!), cocktails in the lounge were scrumptious and the charcuterie board that we ordered from room service > inhaled. The vibe: a perfect blend of relaxation, luxury and sheer urban fun... but the true gem in this hip setting is the service: every staff member we encountered, from the concierge to the waitstaff to the maids, was simply wonderful - friendly, unpretentious and professional. Restaurant recommendations from the concierge were spot on and we even got great tips on a walking tour of the west neighborhoods from one of the waiters. Great city, great hotel, great trip.

Room Tip: Parking is limited; plan ahead. Our third floor room was nice and quiet, even on a Friday night, if...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We decided to go to Toronto for our honeymoon. The Drake was reviewed in our local paper so we decided to book. The location was great, not too close to downtown just a short tram ride away. The major tourist attractions were not too far either. We stayed in room 306, the room was not noisy at all. We enjoyed having drinks at the Cafe, the patio definitely has a nice vibe. The weekend brunch menu is a must to try. We tried it before leaving for our train home. We definitely will recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go for the 3rd floor, we didn't hear too much the tram from our room.
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I had another amazing sleepover at the Drake this past weekend (June 21, 2014). Our experience was possible thanks to the Hotel Manager of Hotel Managers, Jonathan LeClaire. Let's just say I dropped the ball and would have experienced my longest doghouse stay thus far had Jonathan not bailed me out. He is absolutely amazing, extremely hospitable and goes above and beyond every visit! Thank you!!!

Our check-in was as it always is, efficient and friendly. Blair checked us in, welcomed us back and offered advice on how to get into the NXNE event hosted by the Drake that evening.

We booked our favourite room (308), which is one of a few Salon rooms - three I believe. Same decor and awesome attention to detail as the other rooms but with a bit more room to roam. We arrived to find (as we always do) two bottles of champagne and a welcome back note. We have never experienced this with any other boutique hotel we have stayed at - these little touches help set the Drake apart from all of the rest! The Malin+Goetz products are always a nice treat, as is the iPod docking station! There is a sliding glass partition wall for the bathroom, shower and sink area...one word...sexy!

We were in Toronto to see Arctic Monkeys at the Amp so we didn't have our usual time to hang out at the Sky Yard. We usually do and it is the best roof top patio I have ever been on. Same attention to detail as the rest of the hotel, same friendly staff and same amazing food!

Speaking of food we decided due to the perfect weather to have our dinner, and our breakfast outside at the Café. I LOVE THE DRAKE BURGER, I get it once during every sleepover. Cooked to perfection every time and just the right size. Over the years we've tried many dishes from their menu and have dined at all locations (Café, Sky Yard, Lounge) and have never been disappointed.

A must stop when visiting is the Drake General Store. We go once per visit and also frequent the online store. Lots of unique items that you just don't see elsewhere, we love purchasing gifts for others from the General Store as the response you always hear is "where did you get that?!".

Public parking is right across the street and very reasonable - $21 for 24 hours. They have a few "Hotel" spots but we booked too late and didn't get one.

The only negative is eventually the stay is over and you have to check-out :(. Our checkout experience was just the same as our check-in. Alan was super friendly and efficient.

We absolutely love staying at the Drake. It is our first choice EVERY time we visit Toronto. We have already booked a return date in a few weeks and we can't wait!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Drake Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!