“Ok for a 30's middle class ocean liner stateroom” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Drake Hotel Toronto

You added Drake Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Drake Hotel Toronto
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6J 1J3, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“Ok for a 30's middle class ocean liner stateroom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

Just spent 3 days in Toronto at the Drake. I had high expectations of this top design hotel but thundered down when you check in at midnight. The hotel staff is great but services such as room service etc needs some work.

When your tired in late from the airport all one wants is food and a drink. There was no food after 11pm. period. A drink yes on a very hip roof top bar. So great if you need a cocktail and a smoke. But the room which was a salon so larger it was a bit of nightmare after travel and cocktails. Trying to find places to unpack, the lighting controls and the best clothes hangin directly next to your bed.

It was a 30's middle class ocean liner stateroom with great staff.

The morning is was much better, quiet night sleep and great cafe downstairs. In all the place is great for Toronto as there are not a great number of good hotels. I would stay here with a group of friends or groupies that might become friends.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — another crap design hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ana_Yuristy, Hotel Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
The Drake is proud to offer numerous dining options from our Café Bistro to our Sky Yard, and from our fabulous Sushi Bar all the way to our Formal Private Dining Room. Encompassing at least 4 different daily menus created by Chef Anthony Rose and paired with sommelier Patricia Croisetiere’s personal wine selections.

We encourage guests joining us late night to use our late night menu options - available Monday to Saturday until 1am - or in the event of late arrivals to contact the hotel to arrange for a late night snack delivered to your room before you check in.

As mentioned, our Art Deco inspired rooms make use of space in a way that that only a design team like 3rd Uncle could have accomplished, offering affordable luxe accommodation for personal and business travelers. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests back to the Drake, when we know you will have an amazing experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

I literally just walked into the Drake one afternoon and asked if they had any rooms available. I had no idea what I was in for. I immediately felt drawn into the atmosphere and the reception I received made me feel very welcome. My room was like a work of art, but easy, uncomplicated. The food at the cafe was delicious and the service was outstanding. I felt privileged to get to see the organic garden out back and the staff truly took a interest in what I had to say. For me, my short stay at the Drake Hotel, was unique and unforgettable.

Linda DiBella
New Haven, CT

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — It was pricey, but I was not disappointed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

I had a really great time staying at the Drake. it was my first time in Toronto, and I felt the area was much more interesting than staying in the centre as the cafés and quirky shops on West Queen's Street are cool.

The hotel is very stylish, with the roof bar and café having a great atmosphere. The room was also very nice and comfortable. the staff took good care of me, especially the manager Jonathan - thanks guys for a great trip.

P.S. - the only thing i would recommend changing is the 'apartment sized' ironing boards which are silly - lets have some real ones when I return sometime next year!

Patrick

• Liked — Staff and Style
  • Disliked — 'Apartment Sized' Ironing board - 2.5 foot with 3 inch legs, like something that fell off an ironing board.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We decided to book a room at The Drake because of all the feedback we got from the reviews. The reviews are pretty much acurate. Clean and really vintage looking but modern at the same time. It's a weird combo that seems to work. We were very excited about being able to come back from a concert and being able to chill and have a drink at one of the 3 facilities/clubs in the hotel... however, sure enough a week before we arrived we got an e-mail saying that all facilities would not be available due to some stupid "green" event. Disapointed is an understatement. What really irked us was that our room was still super expensive without the added benefit of using bars and dining areas.

Although we feel like giving the place a worst rating we still believe that when all the amenities are available this is probably a great place to hang out. We just feel on a personal level that we got the short end of the stick.

Great people though at check in! We might give it another chance some day.

• 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The Drake prides itself on our commitment to not only amazing guest services, but also to our commitment to the environment – a tour of Chef Anthony Rose’s organic garden is a must see; and supporting bodies like Earth Day is very important to us. Whenever these commitments conflict, we do our proactive best to ensure that guests have access to great neighborhood and city wide alternatives to ensure they enjoy their stay. Thank you for your terrific review of the Drake and our services, we hope you do get a chance to visit us some day, and get the full Drake effect!
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

What a pleasure it was to experience genuine customer service in action -I felt the staff really wanted to help and were genuinely interested in what we were doing in the city, rather than talking from a script.

The hotel is a great retreat and a culteral hub, offering good food and drink, with fantastic transport links to the tourist attractions, gallarys, museums etc. Although some distance from the centre of Toronto, it is walkable and enables you to get closer to the real vibe of the city.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

My husband and I were just visiting our son in Toronto, and courtesy of him and a friend, we had a night at The Drake. Also included was a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. We absolutely loved the place! The outdoor bar was great, the meal was superb, and the room was something really special. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — Funky decor
  • Disliked — no dislikes
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

When I stayed at The Drake in June, it was for a wedding. My two best friends where getting married on the Friday night.

So I came into town on the Thursday night. Once I got to the hotel, I couldn't believe my eyes!!!! The way I would define it was Vintage/Modern design. The Service was EXCELLENT, the rooms where AWESOME. The night life was so ALIVE!!!!

I felt like I was at home. If I ever want to take someone for a nice weekend in Toronto, I will return to The Drake hands down.

Thank you again for an AWESOME stay at The Drake.

Victoria

• Liked — I loved the bed and the bathroom very much.
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Drake Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!