“Welcome Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Welcome Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Philip at the front desk was amazing. I truly loved how everyone who worked there remembered me as I came in and out and was greeted with a "welcome home" that truly made me appreciate the boutique hotel experience. I wanted a stay that was convenience and beautiful and I got just that. Thanks so much to your hardworking team.

Room Tip: Even the small rooms are big enough.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I picked this hotel on a whim per Anthony Bourdain's recommendation while watching The Layover. I had been researching hotel deals and lucked out with a affordable (recent college grad) room. I had read a few rooms and decided to book it.

I was amazed by the hotel. The moment I walked in the staff were very friendly and check in was quick yet laid back and very casual. They know their clientele well and have managed a top quality of guest service that still comes off as cool, casual, and authentic.

I stayed in a Crash Pad, the room was the perfect size. Small yet so well appointed that it was perfect. I remember telling my friends how great of an apartment it would make with just a little kitchen added. The room was perfect for 2 people who know each other well. The bathroom offers a little less privacy then most but considering their younger demographic, its fine. I found the hotel room exciting and was the highlight of the hotel for me. Also the free champagne was a nice plus, it may have been for Valentines day.

My one problem was the hotel's location, but this was because of the Toronto weather this brutal winter (Not that my home has been any better). I was not the biggest fan of the Streetcar. I needed to travel quite awhile for the purpose of my trip but had it been a bit warmer. I would have loved to explore the area a bit more.

I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again. I also really want to show my other friends the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

It is so refreshing to stay at such a friendly, customer-service oriented hotel rather than the typical stuffy corporate hotels you normally get stuck in for business trips.

Upon my check-in, I was genuinely welcomed by Jonathan who personally brought my luggage to my room as well as answered my (many) touristy questions and requests for recommendations, which were all amazing. The room decor was so fun and trendy and the hand written note and bag of popcorn was such a welcoming touch. My trip was short, so I was not able to use any of the hotels amenities, but will surely take part in the yoga and spa next time! At check out, Zoe was also extremely pleasant and accommodating during and even eagerly offered to house my luggage while I had a latte (at the Cafe) and poked around at the Drake General Store. I found so many fun, quirky little things there that it saddened me that I only had a tiny carry-on luggage with me! Next time...bigger luggage.

I would not think twice about staying at The Drake again on my next trip to Toronto!!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have stayed at a lot of hotels - luxury, business, generic, rustic, and then some. When I am in Toronto I forego my fixation on points (somehow I think I am chasing my tail, but that's another story) to stay at the Drake. It's not for everyone - in fact my first night there I was incensed the room was small and there was no elevator. But quickly (later that night) I got over that. As my colleague articulated so succinctly - when you stay at the Drake there is no need to go out, because Toronto comes to you. This is absolutely true. Music, food, art, culture - it's as if you have been invited to the greatest party you could hope for, and yet you can leave and retire to your room at any time. Unlike the ACE in NYC (itself a great spot), there is breathing room in Toronto, and you don't have to displace someone because you happen to be staying there and therefore have the *right* to have a seat in the overcrowded lounge. I've experienced that and it's not fun for anyone.

Let go of your expectations and let Drake seduce you with its singular focus on creating a very specific curated guest experience, like a playlist full of songs you've never heard but with each one you further open your senses and trust that you'll discover something even cooler around the next corner. Countless times I can count having a cocktail, a meal or seeing a band that stayed with me afterward.

From the deconstructed bathrooms (space constraints translate to design innovations), fantastic beds, and handmade dolls in the crash pads, to the dreamlike restaurant downstairs (sushi? sure. Poutine? yes. , to the roofdeck bar, to the nightclub in the basement. You will be amazed at what a team of dreamers can jam into a little hotel. And the staff is like an army of hip uumpa luumpas, polite, helpful, but deferential, arranging things discretely around you to insure your experience is what they want. Someone had a vision what what a boutique hotel experience should be and if you let yourself you'll get it.

Anyway, I could go on but I simply suggest you try it. Your expectations will be forever ruined afterward, but such is the way to live life - it's better to have tried something and miss it dearly than having never tried it at all.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Not only was my room clean, fun and design forward, but the staff was super friendly and made me feel right at home. It's clear they really enjoy their work and take pride in giving excellent service. The Drake is my new home away from home when visiting Toronto.

Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

After a while hotels get samey, and then you get to stay in a gem like The Drake. Great option for a fun weekend. Quiet a way from downtown but loads of trams and you dont really need to leave the hotel as they have 3 dining options and a live band basement. I would not recommend going here if you are on your first weekend away as the glass doors to the toilet might be a bit "too soon". Food and Drink selection was very high quality. High recommended.

Room Tip: They are small so if you have the cash go for the more expensive = larger room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I love the Drake. Seriously. I would adopt small animals with it and move to the country and start a small goat farm with it.

I go to Toronto once or twice a year, and I don't see myself staying anywhere else. I've stayed at the Drake on two separate occasions and both times have been excellent. The staff is wonderful, friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and the cleaning staff make up the rooms perfectly every time. Sometimes seemingly like magic. You'll be out for breakfast, come back to your room and your room looks like you just got there.

For a couple or on your own, I'm not sure where else someone would stay in Toronto if they weren't staying with family. Which, really, the staff at the Drake make you feel that way anyway. Well, you know, without the guilt of why "you haven't called lately" and "have you been eating enough."

I've read other reviews that have said the rooms can be "noisy," which, to be fair, when there's a party going on in the Hotel, then "yeah" and/or "duh". That said I've never experienced any inconvenience from the "noise" in the rooms. No more than any other hotel I've stayed in. yes, the hallways can be noisy, but I can't say I've spent a lot of time hanging out in hallways in hotels. I've never noticed any noise in my room, to be honest, and I've stayed on the side facing Queen Street.

The location is pretty much perfect. Close to the new restaurants in Parkdale, easy trek to AOG or straight down Queen for whatever. Travelling to and from is easy enough with the street car stations located right in front, and there is pretty much always a cab out front.

Even still, you might not end up venturing very far as there's always something going on in the Drake, either in the Underground or the Lounge. And the bartenders in the Sky Yard mix some just killer cocktails.

And the cookies at turn down service? C'mon! Cookies!

TL:DR; The Drake is pretty amazing. Clean, friendly and always has something happening. It's home, if your home was all kinds of awesome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Drake Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!