“Authentic San Diego-style tacos” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 6,550 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican
London, Canada
“Authentic San Diego-style tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

These are real tacos: handmade corn tortillas, slow-cooked pork or spicy mahi-mahi or fried fish, seved with guacamole, crema, lime and pico de gallo. Beware the habanero-garlic salsa...tasty but it made me cry! I have not had tacos like these outside of San Diego. Well worth waiting in the lineup.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“DELICIOUS Tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hands down, some of the best tacos I've eaten.
My husband and I eat out a lot and lately I've been on a taco craze!
Yes this place had a line-up out the door, but it is so worth the wait! We were lucky and managed to snag a table while we were waiting, but prepare yourself to eat while you roam around Kensington Market.
We had 5 of the tacos, mainly because I couldn't decide between all of the appealing choices.
It's hard to choose favourites but my husband's fav was the blackened mahi mahi...I loved them all: we ordered the ceviche, the carnita, the gahbrador (i'm sure i mis-spelt that), the special of the day (a different type of fish taco), and the blackened mahi mahi. They ran out of the octopus and mole but I would have loved to try that. Have to go back. Most of the tacos are $5 each (Ceviche is $7) and 2 should satisfy the average person.
Note: You can add hot or medium salsa on after. The hot salsa is actually HOT! We were both pleasantly surprised. With tears in my eyes I went back to order some water to cool our burning but happy tongues.
Give this place a try as soon as possible...your taste-buds will be eternally grateful!

Castlegar, Canada
“Go, eat, smile.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Ate here yesterday afternoon and it was awesome. Even just walking in the door and smelling the deliciousness got me excited. Service was super fast. We had our food in about 5 min. I had the carnitas taco which was jam packed with fillings.The meat was spectacular. spicy smoky and tender. The avocado and pico were as fresh as it gets and their house salsas are awesome- especially the habanero garlic salsa. My friend had the queso, mushroom cactus taco and it was equally fantastic. Wish we were hungry enough to do a full taco menu sample. There's always next time. Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Toronto, Canada
“Seven lives, 2 tacos, one adventrue, endless trip to heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

wow.

I have no words. Well yes I do.

Finally some proper taco that gathers up fresh ingredients, tasteful spices, plenty of fill and that does not rip off your wallet.

Is this a sustainable business? Are these enthusiastic businessmen making any profit at all?. Who the hell knows but I am sure that if they are still there, they do and they are folding tacos like an authentic Mexican.

Let me tell you that these guys offer the best tacos in Toronto, hands down and I bet one month supply of Gobernador tacos to the brave one that brings me something better.

Starting with the tortilla, soft yet strong enough to hold the handsome amount of filling. Proper.
Next the ingredients. Call it octopus, marlin, mahi mahi, they are all grilled, fliped, cooked to perfection.

Toppings are decent and the best thing, they do not put you rice on the taco like many would do on a burrito. They instead use fresh sour cream, avocado and pico de gallo on top of the tremendous amount of meat. Hell yeah boy face your fears.

And to seal the deal fresh salsas, habanero, tomatillo and pasilla and... some limes.

BAM BAM BAM

With 2 tacos you can feel ready to hit rosedale ravine for a 40 min burnout run.

Well I had 3 and a Ceviche tostada hehe. And I am coming back for more.

Finally a place worthy to tacoize yourself.

Suggestions.: Gobernador taco and Mahi Mahi.

Expect to eat stand like in Mexico. I bet small places have this charm of having a huge line and people standing eating. Otherwise whats the beauty and thrill of this street born food.

• Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Skip other taco joints in Toronto, eat here instead.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place knows how to do tacos right and charges a fair price for them. At $4-$6 per jam-packed, carefully-curated taco, Seven Lives is much better than the rest of their competitors in Toronto. My husband and I are in love with their Baja-inspired flavours that combine rich meats, seafood and sauces with light and tart salsas and garnishes. One tip for those who want to try the place: get there early. It opens at 12 and by 12:30, they have a line-up out the door of their small place. Also, don't expect to have a leisurely sit-down meal here. Seating is limited to one table and a few bar seats indoors, and sometimes two small tables out front. All in all, best tacos I've eaten in Toronto.

• Visited August 2013