“So strange that our favorite "regular" Japanese restaurant is...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“So strange that our favorite "regular" Japanese restaurant is...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

...a tiny restaurant on the street level of a condo building near the Skydome.

I initially ate there because I lived in the condo next to the condo that has Mi-Ne. But I loved it! And though it a value-priced sushi place, on taste alone I prefer it to all of the more expensive restaurants in the downtown core like Ki, Take, Blowfish and Nami (though I consider Nami to be much better than the other two).

It sushi lack variety - just the plain'ol salmon, tuna, shrimp, surf clam, unagi, whitefish and maybe a couple others. But their salmon is the best - I just don't know why that it? And they have the best salad dressing (vinegar based with strong flavour). And they have the best tempura anywhere! And they have the best udon! And they have a very tasty mushroom soup. So tasty. Amazing value given it is a value-price place.

It is my whole family's favourite Japanese restaurant - for the everyday (I don't always want to go to Sushi Kaji - spend $120/person and take 2.5 hours to eat - not criticizing! My wife and I love Kaji - but that's not for everyday and not with our boys as they would have trouble sitting through a 2.5 hour dinner). We live uptown and drive downtown to eat at Mi-Ne and need to pay for parking at the Skydome. I am sure not to people drive down to a value-priced restaurant in a condo with no street parking.

I almost didn't want to write it up as a few times we had to wait to get a table (it only seats about 20-26 people depending on how many people sit in the 3 booths). But then how could I not give them some credit. The entire "small" staff is so friendly and seemingly very happy. Mi-Ne also has a location in Richmond Hill (never been to that one), which apparently was their first location.

Crazy good taste and value!!!

I almost do not want to write about it because

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Delicious and worth the $”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Neighborhood sushi place , higher quality than most and worth the slightly higher price tag.

Spicy Gyoza appetizer yum !
Spicy Salmon/Tuna rolls also delish
Service is very good as well. Authentic feel

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Creative, delicious rolls! A must try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been to Mi-Ne over a dozen times in the past year and I can't get enough.

IT has the biggest selection of rolls I have seen anywhere in Toronto. From their signature rolls my favourites are Orangeville roll (spicy scallop roll, wrapped with fresh salmon, tobiko & avocado - 15$) and Tuna Lover (spicy red tuna, avocado, cucumber, tobiko wrapped with red tuna - 16$). Their regular rolls are delicious too, with a lot of fish in it. Try the spicy salmon or the unagi roll.
The restaurant is not big - it only has 7 tables and 3 booths. Try to call in advance for reservations, especially on the weekends.

• Visited November 2012