“Exceeded even (high) expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Toronto

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5H 0A3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Suite Package
Ranked #7 of 141 hotels in Toronto
New York, NY
“Exceeded even (high) expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Shangri-La provided an extremely quiet, comfortable sleeping experience, top-class service and amenities, and flawless execution from start to finish.

The spacious standard rooms automate everything via on-wall buttons and iPad controls that work well -- handling everything from the drapes to the lights to your room service order in the morning. Our one room service order arrived exactly at the requested time and was of excellent quality -- order with an appetite! The room's finishes and furnishing were top-notch, including the bed and marble bathroom.

The lobby is gorgeous and offers a relaxed but festive atmosphere, with drinks served throughout the day and evening. Singer-songwriters covering well-known songs are usually playing there.

We used several spa treatments, including the Hannam steam room/cleanse thing, manicures, and massages. Service and quality were unimpeachable. The gym is spacious, not overcrowded, and offers a variety of classes, free weights, cardio machines and medicine balls and similar materials.

Everyone already knows about the 3-story tower of Momofuku restaurants connected to the hotel. Suffice it to say, that's a draw, and one that ought to be taken advantage of. Reservations can be easily obtained by the hotel concierge.

It's a smallish point, but I appreciated that free WiFi was provided throughout the hotel, and that it was easy to access. Too many fine hotels try to chip their guests on things like WiFi, which is annoying, since Internet access is a utility, not a luxury.

When it was time to go, the hotel arranged a luxury car for us to the airport, at a reasonable cost, without us having to ask in advance.

If I were to quibble with things (since it isn't an inexpensive hotel), I could think of only two. First, the piped-in custom scent of the hotel can be a bit strong and may not be to everyone's liking; at times it was rather overwhelming in the lobby and hallways. Second, the beds have large square wooden posts at the corners of their frames which invite toe-stubbing both while walking around it and sleeping. Neither of these things would keep me from coming back.

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cranbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If you want to stay at a place where everything is taken care off by the best service then Shangri La is the place in Toronto. The attention to detail by every single employee is impressive. A must stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I travel a lot for business and often stay in the Shangri-la Toronto. Year upon year, the experience is consistently fabulous and the staff always raise the bar beyond any other hotel. The personal note and goodies in the room are an added touch by the manager that I've never seen anywhere else. Staff are experts at remembering your preferences. The only downside is that they encourage you to join their loyalty program and it seems really attractive at first...what they don't tell you is that they wipe out your points every calendar year (Dec 31) so unless you're going to spend a lot of time staying there in the first half of the year, you'll probably never get the chance to experience the benefits of accumulating points. It took me a year to discover this, and it's most disappointing. Had I known this, I could have been accumulating and keeping Aeroplan in this time. ):

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the hotel for the weeknd as I attended a Maxwell Concert at Massey Hall.
The hotel staff are so professional and friendly. The ambiance of this hotel is very elegant and sophisicated with a live performance each night. The breakfast was definitely appetizing & brought a variety of different items on their menu.

Their pool was nice extension of the hotel, with personal cabanas for those staying awhile. I enjoyed their hot tub, the pool even though they said it was heated, did not appear to be heated, but their sauna and steam rooms were lovely. The fitness center is a great size with a variety of machines.

They upgraded our room complimentary to the speciality suite, which was amazing. I loved the bathroom with their tub overlooking the city. BEAUTIFUL WASHROOMS....would definitely recommend a higher floor and the one bedroom or speciality suite.

I had a great time and would recommend this location again

Room Tip: do not park @ the hotel. It's $48.00 a day, with in and out parking. The underground parking a...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just returned from first visit to Shangri-La and to Toronto. Wonderful, vibrant city, full of culture and hip edgy feel. Loved the hotel from the very first day. The staff was prompt, friendly, andcourteous. Since they were not overly crowded when we arrived July 2nd, they upgraded our room to a premier King at no charge. The room was plush, quiet, and full of 5 star amenities. The concierge staff was always helpful, always attentive, and very eager to satisfy whatever needs we had. We have stayed in many fine hotels, and this one is truly one of the best. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Recommend staying above floor ten. Street noise can get loud at times.
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed at the Shangri-La Toronto from June 16th to June 20th 2014. I have to admit that I was extremely excited to stay as I had always heard wonderful things from people that stayed at a Shangri-La property before.
I had about ten gifts that I was having delivered to various guests who were coming to the event, so after checking in I went over to the Concierge to arrange the room drops. We spent about an hour sorting everything out (and giving each package it's own "space" so as to not confuse anything) and I was assured that once the gifts were placed in the room that was guaranteed to stay that person's room (even if others wanted to check-in before they arrived). I left the Concierge desk feeling great about the room drops. Later in the evening I received a few texts and emails from some of the guests saying thank you for their gifts. I found it a little curious when I hadn't heard from all of them, but I knew I would see them the following day so I was not too worried.
We were running an event, and didn't need the extra stress that started piling up the following day as a result of the service we received in this hotel. Standing face to face with some people who I requested gifts be dropped off to, and having them not speak a word about the gift set some alarm bells off for me. An hour later I received TWO of the gifts back from other people at the event (the WRONG people, who were honest enough to return something that was not meant for them) and was also told by two others that they received gifts from some other company, addressed to some person that they had never even heard of, in their room. When I had a moment, I immediately headed to the front desk to figure out what the issues were. I was assured by Andrew that something like this happening was absolutely unheard of, and that he would look into it immediately. He asked me to check in with him a little later. In the meantime, I had the horribly embarrassing experience of literally having to go to some of these people and ask them if they had received their gifts - only, of course, to have some say that no- there was nothing in their room, or that they'd received something with someone else's name on it. The gifts I had spent months carefully choosing for these guests ended up having the OPPOSITE effect from what they were supposed to (some people felt slighted when they heard that others had received gifts and they did not, and some people were offended by a gift from someone else being in their room - which the hotel staff were not willing to come and pick up and deliver to the correct person). I'm still mortified even putting in on here.
The following day I went to check back in with Andrew but he wasn't working, so I spoke to another manager, Ekin. I again explained the entire situation to him (he of course also said that something like this was absolutely unheard of at their hotel) and he took my phone number to contact me, as we were checking out that day. I have heard NOTHING from either manager that I spoke at length to, nor anyone else from the hotel. I have called three times and left messages and no one has had the decency to at least call me back and explain what went wrong.
I did the same gift drop last year at a three and a half star hotel and they managed to get everything done perfectly. I do not understand exactly what went wrong here, or why no one at the Shangri-La Toronto cared enough to even call me and let me know what happened, but I can assure you that I will absolutely never stay there again, nor will I ever recommend their hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed here the night of our wedding. Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by staff and taken to our one bedroom Honey Moon suite. We arrived to chocolate covered strawberries, truffles and sweets in our room. A huge one bedroom suite with a double king bed and slippers and robes. The suite felt to cozy as if we were at home in the comfort of our own home. Bottle of champagne while soaking in the spa tub was just what we needed after dancing the night away at our wedding. The following morning we were treated to breakfast at the Bosk restaurant located in the main lobby of the hotel and then relaxed by the pool and hot tub on the roof top for the rest of the afternoon. This hotel is a 5 star that will not disappoint. A special thank you to GEORGE S. In sales for making our wedding night one of the most memorable times we have had. We definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. If you are looking for 5 star treatment and a relaxing stay, this is the place. Situated right in the heart of downtown Toronto. -Lexx & Kevin O.

• Stayed September 2013
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kevin O,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay during your wedding night and that you enjoyed your honeymoon suite, the amenities, the pool and hot tub and our signature restaurant, Bosk. We strive to provide impeccable service from the moment our guests arrive at our hotel and we are pleased to hear our staff was able to make your stay a memorable one and will make sure to share your comments with George and the sales team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto in the near future.

Richard Cooke

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!