“A Gem in the Heart of University Ave” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Toronto

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5H 0A3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Suite Package
Ranked #7 of 141 hotels in Toronto
CANADA
“A Gem in the Heart of University Ave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This Hotel Lobby offers Music / Entertainment 6 nights a week, they have a piano player from 5-8pm and from 8-12am a Band every night except Sunday night, the Deserts and the drinks are worth especially in the Winter near their Contemporary fire place.
Tho hotel has a great array of Restaurants and Sushi Bar. just have a great evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Try the Bosk halibut, excellent
I little bit expensive but it's worth it
Great admosfere and nice people. Like in a W hotel but more sofisticated peolpe
And it is nice to have a momofuko restaurand just beaide the hotel

• Stayed April 2013
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience with Shangri-La Hotel. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food in our signature restaurant, Bosk. We look forward to seeing you again.

Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I travel quite a bit for work and will stay at Hyatt or Hilton because they seems to have the most locations. I'm a Hyatt diamond and Hilton Platinum so I know my hotels. If there is a Shangri La within distance, that will be my first choice. The hotels are 5 star in my book. Service is impeccable, rooms are clean and spacious, amenities are top quality and they cater to your every need. One feature I particularly like about this chain is that they will have your room ready for you the way you like it. For example, I tend to like colder rooms. I request to have my rooms at a nice 68 degrees and they make sure it's set that way by the time I check in. Some might say, what's the big deal, but that shows they'll go the extra mile to make sure your stay is comfortable.

My first time staying at the Toronto one. Believe it's fairly new. Must say, I wasn't disappointed. As expected, everything was to my liking. If something was wrong, they immediately took care of it.

One oddity that irked me a slight bit was during checkin. My work colleague and I arrived early around 9am. His agent said his room was ready. My agent gave me the line that checkin is 3pm and that my room was not ready. When I questioned why my colleagues room was ready and he could go to it but I could not, she found me a room. I get it, there's procedure and I'm sure the room I was assigned probably was occupied, but unless the hotel is fully sold out, spare me the line about checkin being 3pm. Most people know it. Just try and find a replacement room or offer options. Just a suggestion. Other than that, to those may be reading this review, don't let this last paragraph deter you from staying here. It's a wonderful hotel and brand. Haven't stayed at the Trump down the street, which I hear is very nice as well, but I'll stick with Shangri La.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review about your stay at Shangri-La Hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had a great overall experience with us. It was great pleasure to have you as our guest and we looking forward to seeing you again.

Kindest regards,
Richard Cooke.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel now a few times and each time it is truly a pleasure. From the front door guys who remember my name, the concierge whom welcome me back as if I was just there yesterday, to the hand written note and goodies from the lovely General Manager...(Usually you never even see the GM, this guy treats the place like its his home and you are his personal guest!) This place is on a whole other level!

I have stayed at a lot of luxury hotels and Shangri-La Toronto is the epitome of luxury with amazing service and are very non pretentious. The Lobby Lounge has fantastic live entertainment throughout the week. Having gone to a lot of live music venues in Toronto & working in the entertainment industry I can honestly say the lobby lounge is a whole other experience... nothing like it in Toronto and definitely THE spot to hang.

The pool, spa and fitness center are fantastic and unlike a lot of gyms you are not starring at a wall on the treadmill but have a nice view of the city, its very bright and spacious and there are fun games you can play while getting your sweat on or even plug your Iphone connect to the internet to catch up on some work. Having to work from my room is a pleasure since all the suites even the smaller ones have a great desk and sitting area. The bathrooms are also amazing, all have a soaker tub and separate shower, all marble and fantastic lighting ...(The lighting in the rooms is fabulous!) Excellent beds, even with a suite facing University St its very quiet, great sound proofing.

Bosk has an amazing menu and weather you are in the lounge, at the bar or restaurant you will always get the perfect cocktail or try one of their 69 different teas if you are not into drinking or mock-tails.

If you are going to stay at a nice hotel in Toronto... treat yourself to the best, you will get your moneys worth I promise!

Room Tip: I have enjoyed all the rooms I have stayed in thus far.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I loved this hotel, and my room, and the gym. I would love to stay here on a regular basis, but the mattresses were just too soft. I cant believe nobody has addressed this yet in any of the reviews, so my only explanation for this is that the hotel is new.

Of course all the beds are identical in all the rooms, so unless you like to "sink" into a double pillow-top soft bed, with very soft pillows ... I would stay away.

I wish it wasn't true, since at a corporate rate of less than 250 per night, it really is a great deal.

But I can't afford to not sleep at nights. At any price.

PS I did ask if they could do something, and that night I arrived to see that the mattress had been flipped over. Super uncomfortable. I ended up flipping the kingsize bed back myself which was a huge hassle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us at the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto. As we strive to ensure nothing but the highest of quality for all of our guests, we have now got a very firm mattress which will be available for guests who prefers something firmer. We hope welcome you back to the Shangri-La in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Lugano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hello everyone, thank you so much for a wonderful stay and friendly approach. Shangri-La Hotel Toronto is very nice and rooms are very comfortable , cozy and clean. All staff at the hotel is very nice and always helpful, all the questions are answered quickly and well. Definitely recommend the hotel to friends and maybe even get back personally in Toronto . We would like say hello and big thanks to Miss Andrea from sales department :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Lugano,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto. We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Andrea in the sales department and we look forward to welcoming you, your family and friends back to our hotel in the very near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The lobby is a thing of beauty and the space is perfect for cocktail events. I attended a fashion week soiree located in the Shangri-La hotel lobby which proved to be a brilliant choice. The service, decor, seating and space played an integral role in creating the ideal atmosphere for fashion week patrons. Thank you Shangri-La and keep up the great events!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!