“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Toronto

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La Hotel Toronto to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   188 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5H 0A3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Suite Package
Ranked #7 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Woodstock, Connecticut
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

4 exceptional nights in this new Toronto Hotel. Pampered from the moment you arrive. Private escort to your room. Standard rooms are Very well appointed. Gym is upscale and tasteful. I forgot cuff links and they "found" a $200 pair of Burberry cuff links to "borrow". On two occasions I had drinks and a light meal in the bar / lobby with a warm gas fire. Tasteful live music was also provided. Best Hotel I stayed in all year. Well deserving of a 5 star rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear David,

I am thrilled to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us during the four nights you were here! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto very soon.

Richard Cooke

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Wonderful hotel, modern, warm, great service. Rooms are lovely, everything meets the 21st century. They use ipads in each room to provide you with information, check out, valet etc. No complaints at all. The lobby area is designed like a big living room, active, fun and very popular.
Excellent food, excellent location.

rhnaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

In my recent business trip, I stayed at the Shangri-La Toronto hotel. My room on the 16th floor was nicely appointed and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom with separate shower, tub, and toilet compartment was as expected at a hotel of the caliber. Having a Nespresso coffee maker was also a nice touch, however, they didn't leave enough coffee cream for more than 2 cups of coffee.The TV embedded in the vanity mirror was convenient, but the reception on that TV was not good. I'm not sure if it was unique to my room. I didn't try any of the restaurants but the lobby seemed lively at night. The music was just right and not intrusive allowing normal conversation. I found all the staff friendly and accommodating, especially the pool staff who would bring me water and a cool face towel without me asking each time I utilized the whirlpool. I have also stayed at the Shangri-La in Vancouver and I find the Toronto Shangri-La superior in location, service, ambiance, and comfort.

Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at the new Shangri-la hotel in Toronto recently, not too long after it opened for a conference being held in the hotel itself. At arrival, no one outside so had to hunt for valet and then as I was arriving early my room was not ready. Check in a bit tricky as staff seemed brand new. Conference facilities nice but some construction noise at certain points.

Nicest touch of hotel was being escorted to my hotel room and being given a tour of amenities including IPad for personal use, nespresso machine and TV in bathroom mirror. All cool.

Ate in the hotel for dinner which was very nice. Entertaining water jugs so look for that .

Checkout again hampered by Inexperienced staff and I never received my bill via email.

In conclusion.... I suspect this place will be full 5 stars once everyone trained up and all the kinks worked out. Luxury for sure

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

When my girlfriends and I get together each Christmas to celebrate the holidays, we like to do it over a spot of tea and yummy sandwiches, pastries and the revered scone with clotted cream. With the recent bevy of opulent hotels opening up in Toronto, we had the luxury of choosing from the best of the best. Shangri-la was this year's choice. Sadly, it was the wrong one. Doesn't the term "high tea" imply tea is part of the service and not a $15 - $70 additional charge? It reminds me of going to overpriced restaurants where every spud or green is a la carte. Translation.....rip off. I get that we're at a 5 star hotel and we expect 5 star prices but I also expect quality, quantity and service. I don't expect finger sandwiches made of white bread reeking of Wonder, a serving tray with more white space than actual food and having to tell the hostess that hot water is needed for my tea. My girlfriends and I work hard for our money and playing princess for an afternoon is an annual treat that we don't mind putting our money towards. But even princesses know when they're being taken for a ride.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My reviews are usually written at the end of my stays however I'm writing this on my first night of a three night stay. Check-in was quick, and the fellow that checked me in walked me up to my room and explained the features of the room. I booked a Deluxe King rm. it wasn't huge, but big enough for me on business. If I were with my family, i would book a larger room. The room was beautiful, finishes were amazing. Bathroom had a soaker tub, separate shower and toilet compartment, and a tv in the vanity mirror. Toiletries were abundant, they even had two toothbrushes.
The bar was well stocked, and included a Nespresso coffee machine. The glassware was unique and beautiful. At the desk, I found a handwritten note from the manager to me, great touch! Also at the desk was an iPad where you can order room service, set a wake-up call, set up housekeeping times, arrange transportation, everything you need for your stay! Lot's of power plugs, beautiful artwork, comfortable bed.
Roomservice brought up a plate of fruit for me, and later came by for turn down service.
I went down to the lobby in the evening to check out the lounge and the music issues others have posted abut. Yes there is music but it wasn't too loud. If you're looking for a lobby that is quiet and plays classical music, this isn't the place for you. This lobby is modern with an asian touch. Luxury hotels seem to now be creating modern lounges in their lobbies.
The corridors are also well appointed with finishes and artwork. I found it quite warm, they could lower the temperature a few degrees (and save on energy costs!).
Overal, it's been amazing, I've stayed in several Toronto hotels, this is by far the best. The corporate rate that I am paying is close to other hotels that do not compare.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I decided to celebrate a milestone birthday event at the Shangri La Toronto hotel and let me tell you the experience exceeded our expectations.

From the moment we dropped the car off with valet to the final checkout the service was outstanding.

We enjoyed a one bedroom suite on the 16th floor; it's large, well appointed and very comfortable.

Dinner at Bosk on the lobby level was quite an experience and I would highly recommend it for a special event.

Well done Shangri La.

Room Tip: pick a high floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful birthday celebration at the Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto. It was such pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, don't wait a year for the next birthday please.

Richard Cooke

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Toronto? Share your experiences!