“USA Beer Lover” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 278 Activities in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating a passion for beer, food and travel, The Old Toronto Beer Tour explores the culture and history of Toronto against the backdrop of our rich brewing heritage both past and present. The Old Toronto Beer Tour is an all-inclusive travel experience, with tutored tastings, transportation, lunch and sightseeing -- all hosted by our fun and knowledgeable craft beer and history experts.
Carpentersville, Illinois
“USA Beer Lover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I need to let people know that there is more to Toronto than just shopping; try beer touring! This was an amazing tour, fun, educational and very tasty to say the least. Make sure to wear good walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing as some of this tour is walking about in a fort and on the streets viewing architecture, which seems to all tie in with beer.( Totally cool! )Our beer tour guide, Oliver has done his research on both the history of Toronto and of beer. (Needless to say it seems the two of those are actually one in the same.) Oliver is very entertaining and will make you feel like an old friend. By the end of the tour you felt like you should exchange email addresses with everyone in the group.
My business partner and I were to be in Toronto for the first time for business and managed to squeeze in an extra day to see the city. We luckily fell upon this tour on the internet. I will most definately recommend this tour to everyone going to Toronto! Thank you Oilver for being such a remarkable host! I will be back, only with my husband next time.

Visited April 2013
Oliver D, Owner at Old Toronto Beer Tour, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words about your Old Toronto Beer Tour experience. That you felt a bond with the 'strangers' you shared the day with is a phenomenon I first witnessed on my very first Beer Lovers' Tour in 1998. Perhaps this is living proof that Benjamin Franklin was right when he said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"!

I am also thrilled that as a visitor from the USA you gained some insight into Toronto's place in North American history, both commercially and culturally. We sometimes forget how deeply our two countries are connected. And I am certain, our love of great beer brings us even closer together. You are always welcome in Toronto!

Toronto, Ontario
“Another Non-Beer Drinker..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I also purchased the beer tour for my husband for Christmas, as it was highly recommended to me by someone who had previously taken the tour. We had a great time spent with some great people, learning about beer and the history of beer, in Toronto. Who knew there was so much to learn about beer? Though not a beer drinker myself, I have to say that the tour opened my eyes to all of the different qualities and types of beer…I sure learned a thing or two..and can now tell you what a Lager or a Pilsner is! Oliver, led a wonderful tour, sharing his passion and knowledge about beer…he’s a well traveled, interesting person and you DID just want to sit there and listen to all he had to say. He also has some interesting tours in Germany and Mexico coming up..they sound outstanding and completely worth considering..even if you are NOT a beer drinker! I’d recommend this tour to Toronto tourists and to Toronto residents alike. It’s a tour for all ages (over the drinking age, that is), for friends, couples and can easily be done on your own-you’ll quickly feel like you’re part of the group and Oliver will make sure of it! Money well spent-book now!

Visited April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your Old Toronto Beer tour experience. It is great to read that as a non-beer drinker you found value in the day. Admittedly, not everyone coming on the tour is as passionate about beer as I am, but very often non-beer drinkers become curious and discover a gem or two that changes their perception and sometimes, their habits.

Thank you also for mentioning the Kegs & Kathedrals Germany tour and the Beer Lovers' Cultural Tour of Oaxaca Mexico. The itineraries bring together a unique combination of 'bucket-list' and 'back roads' activities and destinations. Both are truly 'one of a kind' experiences. I can't wait!
Holland Landing, Ontario
“A non-beer drinker reviews the Toronto Beer Lovers Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My boyfriend, Brad and I attended the Toronto Beer Lovers Tour on April 13, 2013. This was a Christmas present for Brad - not only does he enjoy a good beer, but he is also very interested in history. Me, not so much. However, that changed after spending the day on the Toronto beer lovers tour...

We were part of a small group of 7, hosted by Oliver Dawson. We found Oliver to be friendly, hospitable, informative and he created an excitement about every aspect of the tour. We learned how beer is made, learned about the history of beer and the people who started the beer brewing business in Toronto, and tasted about 20 different beers throughout the day (including the dinner option).

My favourite beer was the raspberry beer or, as I dubbed it, The Girlie Beer. I now have a different appreciation for beer and actually enjoyed the history. Oliver is a wonderful storyteller. I was extremely happy that the beer lovers tour turned out to be such an amazing, wonderful day for me to spend with Brad. He was thrilled and I would highly recommend this tour to anyone. ~ Kimberley B from Holland Landing, Ontario

Visited April 2013
I so much appreciate that you took time to post a comment on your Old Toronto Beer Tour experience!! It helps people understand what a Beer Lovers' Tour is all about.

A fact not always appreciated is that beer is integral to our culture and history. And I am delighted that your perceptions of both were changed. Teachers of history take note; tasting beer during class will likely increase engagement!!

On the 'Girlie Beer' front, you will be delighted to know that there are ever more varieties available from our local craft brewers. Keep an eye out for Amsterdam's legendary Framboise, soon to be available again.
Ontario
“An excellent day in Toronto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife suggested this tour as a Christmas/birthday gift for my good friend and I this past Christmas. We picked April 6 for our tour and arrived at the Steamwhistle Brewery to be met by Oliver Dawson, and 9 other tour guests. After a welcoming beer or two, we were given a tour of the brewery, followed by a delicious lunch "personally prepared" by Oliver. We enjoyed another round of Steamwhistle Pilsner, then headed on to Fort York for a tour of this important historical site. Though I have lived in Ontario my entire life, I must admit that this was my first visit to Fort York. Oliver was the consummate host and provided us with historical information and entertainment here and throughout the day.
After Fort York, we proceeded on to The Six Pints Beer Academy, then a drive and walk through Corktown, The Mill St. brew Pub, The Amsterdam Brewery, finishing up for dinner at The Granite Brewery. We had a great day, and I saw parts of Toronto that I had never visited before. I would recommend this tour to anyone who loves beer, and especially to those beer drinkers that want to learn more about beers and the history of brewing in Toronto. You'll come away with a greater appreciation for both!

Visited April 2013
Oliver D, Owner at Old Toronto Beer Tour, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your of the Old Toronto Beer Tour experience. It was a pleasure spending the day with you all sharing a few of my many passions and interests. I am particularly delighted that you enjoyed Fort York and its' significance as a heritage destination. It is one of the Toronto's hidden gems that I am proud to showcase on the beer tour.
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
“An Outstanding Toronto Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked this tour as a birthday present for my husband. It is easily one of the best presents I have given him.The tour operators and their colleagues exceeded any service expectations we had for the day. It was a relaxed and enjoyable experience from start to finish. Our tour guide was Chris Goddard. His enthusiasm for beer and his unique historical knowledge of Toronto is infectious. Chris was incredibly entertaining and has an incomprehensible understanding of all things beer-related. The tour is set up in a format that allows participants to chat, laugh, learn and consume, as little or as generously as they chose. It made the day a great experience for my beer fanatic as well as for myself (who has more of a preference for sight-seeing). We have told all of our friends who claim to be beer lovers, this tour is necessary to take them up a level in their appreciation of beers. I anticipate we will be doing this again with a larger group.

Visited December 2012
Thank you for taking time to write your comments. Many people choose the Old Toronto Beer Tour as a gift for birthdays, Christmas, Father's Day, etc. Your words, "easily one of the best presents I have given him" are of course a huge compliment that we really appreciate. As for Mr Goddard, your guide on that day, he is amazing and a huge asset to the Old Toronto Beer Tour.