“AMAZINGLY creative/inventive drinks!” 5 of 5 stars

(416) 536-8963
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ursa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #353 of 6,773 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shaw St
Transit: Take the Queen Streetcar to the Shaw stop, or Bus 63 Southbound from Ossington Station.
Toronto, Canada
“AMAZINGLY creative/inventive drinks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Came here for my anniversary last year, the spot is urban/chic, love the small cozy vibe. We ordered a drink called pilot and it was amazing. we ordered the organic house salad as appetizer, mine was fresh home grown veggies and my partner ordered a house grown herbal salad. His salad came with a potted herb and scissors. you get to garnish it yourself and cut what you want, this was fun. My main dish was truffles and they were amazing with so many textures and mix of flavours. DEF go here, expect to spend about $45 min a person with appetizer and main dish.

Visited July 2013

Vaughan, Canada
“Creative, delicious for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Friends took us to Ursa to celebrate my recent birthday. After reading the Trip Advisor reviews I wasn't sure whether I should eat before we went, and what I might find on the menu would be edible. Scary stuff!
In the end we had a very pleasant evening with wonderful, creative food stylings and great, knowledgeable service.
While a big portions eater might be critical of the size of the dishes, I found the portions were just right - I left the place, pleasantly content. The cost was also reasonable for a gourmet restaurant - we all did the three course $55 pre fix.
Service was nicely paced- never too fast or too slow.
My entree was halibut which was well prepared and plated.
All in all a very enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Interesting menu, well executed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We were walk-ins on the night we went so were pleased to get a tables this restaurant serves different food, all of it gluten-free. For example, our daughter chose an entree which featured crickets and meal worms. My main was a salmon dish with beets and small cubes of brioche made with fava flour. (We tried not to think of Silence of the Lambs.) We shared a gorgeous dessert with meringue, apple, gingered apple puree and purple yam yoghurt - lovely, though a little more meringue would have been good. Highly recommended if you like something different but not too way out.

Visited April 2014
Thunder Bay, Canada
“If it gets any better than this....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

....then I don't know where, or how. Generally, I stay away from "tasting menu" dinners, always fearful of getting something I don't enjoy, or not getting enough to eat. My fears were groundless at Ursa. The reviews were great and we had been given a gift certificate by Air Canada - figured if they supported it, I should be safe!
Dan was our main server - an incredible scope of knowledge about the dishes we were receiving, the flight of wines we were being poured. VERY pleasant guy, ultra attentive to our needs, really made the entire dining experience a pleasure.
The food was, simply put exceptional! We were given more detail than I could record but, in part: they serve a "raw" bread (tastes WAY better than it sounds) with either home made butter (rich creamy, nothing like store bought) and a pumpkin seed butter - both delicious; a vegetarian tartare with some 10 vegetables diced and blended together with a sliver of squash and an amazing miso puree that made the flavours leap out. A tofu, buckwheat and seaweed soup followed which was delicious - there is a concentrated dashi (sp?) sphere within it that explodes with flavour in your mouth. Two "mains" included White Rock Chicken with cooked and toasted wild rice and a lamb dish that was to die for. Lamb is soaked for 24 hrs before being grilled (you'd have to hear the full explanation to appreciate this) and it was as good a lamb portion as I have ever had. By now we were definitely slowing down so the delicious bean cake that came with it was only partially touched. Desert was a heavenly blend of five types of chocolate and caramel that blended together beautifully. The final flight of five drinks was a Barolo Kinato (sp?) that we found a little sharp, almost harsh. At Dan's urging we took a sip while still having a bit of desert in our mouths and wow, what a difference, it just smoothed it out beautifully.
Our meal was a five course tasting but they also do 3, 7 and 9. Our free gift certificate from Air Canada was exactly that, FREE! If we wanted to leave a tip (which we did, the service was awesome) we could but everything else was included, even the tax.
I can not speak more highly about a restaurant or the service we received from Dan and the rest of his team.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Worst restaurant in the city”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Precious food, preciously presented, preciously "explained" to you, that you'll pay preciously for.
This is a seriously silly restaurant. Aspires to artful, delivers ridiculous. (That translucent shaving of turnip or whatever atop my teeny tiny weird appetizer that required such self-important pointing out? Tasteless.) I gave it a chance twice, but have never been so turned off by such silly food. I dine out a lot, and go as high end as the city offers - this place is overpriced, because it's not worth it. Pretentious amateur hour.

• Visited January 2014