“Great Tacos!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Electric is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #603 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Tacos!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Really good tacos. They are culinary works of art. Atmosphere at night is low light, very loud music. The wait on a wednesday night at 8pm was 2 hours. The food is worth it! Not a place for kids or older people.

Visited June 2013

“Gross fish balls and staff talks back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Second visit to grand electric and had a great time till we ordered their "special" of tuna fish ball. Had I not been with a group of people I would have spit it out as I was completely disgusting!!!
We raised the issue with the waitress who took it back to the kitchen where the chef said they were apparently good.... Hardly! I like both cooked and raw tuna.. This tasted like dead cat!
The manager eventually came over and seemed reluctant to credit the horrible fish/dish off our bill.
It's too bad as up until tonight I liked the place, I'm now never going back due to the terrible service!
I would recommend people that were considering this place go to La Carnita or Playa cabana.. Not worth wasting your money here.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Come for the tacos, stay for the late night chats amongst friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

First things first: This isn't your typical sit down restaurant. This also isn't a Mexican restaurant. Nor does it claim to be either! Grand Electric is all about an LA/Miami flare to mex cuisine. They are about quick service and creative seating options. They're about bourbon and good times. Old school rap in the background, barstool or picnic table style sitting and dim lighting prevail. If you are new visiting the Parkdale area of Queen St. West, or if you're visiting Toronto for the first time and are feeling adventurous THIS is the best place to start your night party on the right track. Expect long waits (first come/serve) and expect the wait to be worth it. Ps. Did I mention they have a killer selection of Bourbon?!?!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Yum Yum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I may be the last person on the planet who had not heard about Grand Electric so it was not over-hyped in my mind.
I went on a Monday night with a friend...possibly the only day of the week you don't have to line up to get in. I just don't line up for food.
We sat at a small table at the back where servers flow in and out of the kitchen.
What I liked:
* OMG - I had no idea there was any such thing as a cauliflower taco and it was superb!
* Fresh, flavourful salsa, guacamole, tortillas, slaw and other toppings
* Seared tuna with mole sauce was tasty but not sliced very well...extremely thin at one end and unmanageably thick at the other
* Fish tacos were not over battered, not too greasy - perfect!
* Bourbon lemonade cocktails were delicious
* despite its popularity, the prices were fair
* service was really friendly and prompt

What I didn't like
* Maybe I'm getting old but the music was too loud, I could barely hear my friend
* uncomfortable chairs

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Really hyped, but still good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have a problem when restaurants get over-hyped. I get my hopes up far too high, and from time to time, restaurants start to rest on their laurels.

I had dropped by here a few weeks ago, and the noise, was frankly deafening. It was a forty-minute wait, so we took a reservation, and wound up eating at neighbour Chantecler, which is always fabulous.

I was feeling tacos for lunch, so we headed out -- late -- a 2:00PM lunch still results in taking my phone number, and our going for a walk over to the nearby gelateria for a coffee. At the appointed phone call, we walked back, and the time was less than expected.

The place was noisy -- no longer deafening as it was at dinner, which I suspect, given the bill, is a means for turning tables over. I still couldn't hear my partner clearly, but she's a soft speaker.

Food -- great. Tacos. Beef cheeks with a nice helping of guacamole and japeno peppers were lovely. Fish taco -- very well done. Good spicing. The fried squid hoagie - messy and delicious.

All in all -- good food, reasonable prices, and a fun place. Would I go back for dinner? Only if they keep the noise level down.

• Visited May 2013