“Cool vibe, great food and cheap!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Electric is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #603 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Barrie Ontario, Canada
“Cool vibe, great food and cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Tacos and Bourbon is their advertised claim to fame. I can't speak for the bourbon but the tacos are wicked!! We started with some cool homemade drink creations and very fresh and tasty guacamole. We then tried something called that i think was called Pozole, a delicious thick, tasty soup with a poached egg broken into a rich broth and fresh crisp veg. Then it was time for their awesome tacos. We sampled 3 different kinds and all were incredible...I would drive down from Barrie for another taste of the fish tacos!!!! The staff is young and funky, the music is loud and so are the customers...great fun!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Toronto, Ontario
“Great Food, Great Price, Good serivce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I loved my experience at Grand Electric. After 3 attempts we were finally able to get a seat at this restaurant. Due to its popularity there usually a very long wait list, but this time we went on a Tuesday when it was raining, and arrived just when the restaurant opened.

The food was very refreshing, and due to the small portions we could try many different items. The menu was relatively small, suggesting the chefs stick to what they know.

We started with a home made root beer with real beer. A great and delicious drink. We then ordered a plate of nachos that contained the freshest guacamole sauce I have ever tasted. I wanted to finish it but wanted to leave room for the tacos.
We tried the pork tacos (now made with shoulder instead of belly) which were very spicy.
Then we had the fish tacos, which were larger than we anticipated, but still individual size.
Then we shared a wonderful plate of tuna ceviche. The tuna ceviche had large chunks of tuna; not the highest quality, but tasty and well seasoned. We finished our entres with a beef cheek taco and a cactus taco. Both fantastic. The Beef cheek taco was sweet and wonderfully seasoned with chilli peppers.
For our desert we had the key Lime, that was quite refreshing, and a Hell Cake, which was a bit of a disappointment.

The service was fairly quickly, although we had to share a table even though there were 2 people tables available. I'm not sure why. But given the price of the food, its quality and the service, I don't mind at all.

I had a great time and am thinking about going back with more friends.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Worth the wait on most days :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been to the Grand Electric a few times now and was fortunate enough to try the fantastic Pozole, though only once as the servers themselves say they are always out of it or it's not in season :-( The waiting time to get a seat is definitely long so be prepared to wait quite a while! The longest I've ever waited for this is 3 1/2 hrs, which was the first time. Now that I know I try to reach there shortly before they open and I can find either get a seat right away or in 20mins (not bad). However, as the night progresses the wait can get ridiculous. The problem is when you are craving for probably one of the best guacamoles around and great tacos (beef cheek is delicious)... you don't want to wait this long!!! The only reason I'm giving the Grand Electric 4 stars is because of the wait, other than that it's just great food and atmosphere, and of course good service. If you come here it's most likely because you have planned ahead and arrived early enough not to wait that long. If you are craving for this out of the blue... you are out of luck! or you can waste some time in the bar across the street in the meantime if you are really willing to wait that long.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Worth the wait, delicious and cheap.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we heard there would be a wait for Grand Electric, we showed up at 4:30pm to get in at 5pm. But Parkdale is such a cool area and we got distracted by the vintage shops and lost our place. We came back at 4:50pm and the lineup was huge! Luckily we got in on the first seating after this crazy hobo yelled "WHY ARE YOU WAITING IN LINE FOR AN HOUR FOR A F***** TACO!" which actually made my day. Hilarious! The calamari was out of this world, I ordered two orders and shoved the left overs in my purse for later. The ribs are delicious but messy. The restaurant is cheap too... but the servers will push you out as soon as you're done. So get in and get out!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Love he food, hate the line up...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been to Grand Electric twice. The first time, I waited in line for 2-hours, after being told it would only be one hour. Once we were finally seated, the food came out rather quickly and it was fantastic. I've been there twice and we have probably tried most things on the menu. Everything was amazing. The guacamole is fantastic. The icing on the cake for me was the key lime pie dessert - delicious! I last visited Grand Electric in the summer and would love to go back. I'm just not willing to wait in the cold.

• Visited July 2012