“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2,769 of 6,800 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Toronto
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I decided to try this place out for the same reason everyone else seems to, the noticeable lineups outside their door. I went after the lunch rush.

The place is as described, a hole in the wall. It's a dingy and dark space with just enough room for the line to shuffle through. The shop is operated by three or four grumpy looking older European women.

I ordered a veal parmigiana plate. I was asked whether I wanted rice and which salads through what I can only describe as a series of grunts. That was rather disappointing, only because I heard them speaking quite friendly with what sounded like regulars. Anyway, I chose a lentil salad and one of the pasta salads.

The rice was...well, rice. Unflavoured plain boiled rice. The salads were very nice though. They were flavourful and well portioned. The veal...I can only say it was veal because they said so. It was a sliver of meat no bigger than half a palm and as thin as paper. It didn't appear to have any breading or cheese on it and was slathered in plain tomato sauce.

Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed based on the false expectations I had created on account of the constant lineups. But I can understand the appeal for the local office workers. It's cheap and relatively healthy considering you get mostly salad and the other parts aren't processed. I am convinced though that it is the price that attracts people.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this place unless you want something very light and cheap.

Visited July 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Xtraordinarily Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Wandering down Yonge Street, I noticed a fairly lengthy line leading here. I joined the line and 10 minutes later I was glad that I did. One choice looked more amazing than the other. I went with the grilled sea bass and calamari with fatoush, chickpea salad and spinach salad. It was fresh, filling and fantastic - and only $6! And the other choices were only $5!

Canada
“Lunch Staple #2”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am so happy this place is on here! For anyone who works in this area, you know that the lunch choices are very limited and pretty crappy. I usually come here a couple times a week (I alternate between this place and Eat a Pita depending on the line-up) For $5 you get a giant plate of fresh, homemade food include chicken, rice and 2 salads (there are various salad options and other meats as well)

They only take cash and while the line-up is usually down the street, it does move pretty quickly.

Will I return? Absolutely!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bowmanville, Canada
“Most affordable lunch in Yorkville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a hole-in-the-wall. If you didn't know it existed you could walk right by, that is if it isn't lunchtime, at lunchtime you WILL see it. This place regularly has a line out the door and down the street. The line usually moves pretty quick and once in you are greeted by two very busy yet always smiling ladies. The amount of food you get is ridiculous, especially for the price you pay. Most everything is a flat $5, there are some items that go as high as $6. With that you get your choice of meat or veggie patty and two salads. There is a plethora of salad options and they are all fantastic. They fill your take-out tray to near overflowing, take your five bucks and then you are on your way. Don't plan on sitting in here though, there are only three chairs and they are up by the front window. The press of people, especially at lunch can make sitting there a tad uncomfortable. Most people take their food back to their office, or to the food court in Cumberland Terrace, which is across the street. The food is always excellent and the price can't be beat!

• Visited January 2014