“Very Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre

You added Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre to your Saves list
Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Victoria Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1V8 , Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #44 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Washington, DC
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

My wfie and I were first time travelers to Toronto and I was concerned about the split of reviews on this site between "great" and it "stinks." I booked a long weekend in October through Travelocity at under $200 a night US. Hotel is a very solid 3 1/2 to 4 star hotel.

Concierge had champagne in the room (wife's birthday) and also arranged a car pick up for my mife and I at the airport. You don't need a car in Toronto. Check in was a breeze, although the lobby area is a very small space... on a busy weekend, I can see how the entrance could become very crowded and check-in could become frustrating as others here have complained.

We had a standard room with a very comfortable King bed. Bathroom is small, but I'd have to guess that the hotel rooms are probably converted studio apartments. We had no use for the kitchenette but it could be a nice touch for others.

Location is exceptional. One block from the Eaton Center and literally 200 feet from the Canon Theater where we watched Wicked. Everyplace we went during the weekend was within a 20 minute walk. For those looking for places to eat -- the best meal we had during the weekend was at the Pure Spirits Oyster House in the Distillery District.

Spent an afternoon in the Pantages Spa which was very relaxing. Not quite a 5-star spa but very worth the $$.

Downsides -- the Martini bar is nice but expensive and the hotel doesn't have enough staff in the bar if it is crowded. There is no hotel restaurant - therefore no free continental breakfast like many hotels - so you have to include the cost of breakfast into your budgeting. Didn't bother us at all, but it is worth knowing. The hotel does have a door directly into an adjacent very nice diner - but it is separate from Patages.

Overall, I didn't want to spend the $250-$300+ a night to stay at the SoHo, Four Season, Le Germain, etc. We had no problems with our stay and at $200 a night, I'd return to the Pantages Hotel without any concnerns. Hope you find this helpful.

• Liked — Location and the Spa
  • Disliked — Larger bathroom would have been nice -- but that is a quibble.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. From the excellent staff, the upscale lobby and facilities, the turn down service, or the semi-precious stones they leave on your pillows instead of chocolate. This spa and hotel is a must for anyone staying in Toronto for any reason. The location is great, in the middle of the theater district. And it's easy to get most anywhere in the city from the hotel. I love staying at this hotel and will try to stay there every time I'm in Toronto.

• Liked — Staff and room
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to get any of the corner '13' suites.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

I must say my stay at the Pantages was outstanding thank to a couple KEY staff members. Firstly I was greeted by a funny yet informative valet named Robert, he helped us with our bags took car of the car and even offered to throw the loose coffee cups out. Suprisingly when we forgot some CD's in the car he was more then happy to bring them up to our suite. Parking is a bit pricy but they allow you to come and go as you like. Secondly Lara was just great she was the front desk agent but I tell you she does about everything there, if I had a concern she had the right people there to help me out. Andy our concierge helped get the room ready for me when I proposed to my now wife. He had set up for chocolate covered strawberries candles all over the room a bubble bath and more he was great. If yo go to this hotel make sure to ask for them by name I'm sure they'd love to hear from you it almost as if they have fun with what they do.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No free Internet and the penny pinching
  • Tips/Secrets — gt your laptop to the lobby and use free internet
Stayed October 2006
Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

First off, once again...as most people will agree, the website made the hotel look much better than it really did. As a "luxurious" hotel, i was extremely dissapointed. The front desk receptionist named Rita, was extremely rude from the moment we checked in. My sister and I were in Toronto for Caribana weekend, and wanted to try something luxurious, and assumed that we would be treated with luxury as well. We paid for the best suite in the hotel, and "the best" suite wasn't that big, yes it did look nice, but for the price we paid, we were better off staying at the Grand Hotel, and lived like queens for the weekend. there was $1000.00 deposit on top of the already high priced room. On the bright side, the hotel was located paralell to Yonge street, so the location was good. I just feel that the higher the rating of the hotel, the better service one should recieve, the hotel was rated a 5 * but they treat their guests liek a 1 *.

• Liked — hotel was very modern and trendy
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

we recently stayed at the pantages hotel. it was probably our best hotel stay. the rooms were very nice and modern, the service was good, the staff were friendly. there was also a bar at the lobby which was a nice touch. we stayed over the weekend and on one of the nights there was some music in the lobby which made comng back to the hotel feel good

the hotel was a few minutes walk from eaton center and allot of restaurants, which was very convenient.

we checked the hotels spa but did not get a chance to try out their services

all in all, it is a very nice hotel, we will definitely try and stay there again and recommend other visitors to give it try

Stayed September 2006
Rochester, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

On May 25 2006, I attempted to book reservations online, via the Pantages website. It didn't work. After contacting the hotel directly I booked lodging and accommodations for a group of seven adults from August 12-August 13, 2006.

I was quoted rates for 2 Ambassador Suites, equipped with 1 King bed and 1 Queen sized pull out couch per room. One room was to accommodate 4 adults, the other 3 adults. Rooms were to be on the same floor, and in very close proximity to each other, with the possibility of 1 room in between the 2 suites. Base rate for the suites was $299 per room at double occupancy, with a $35 per adult fee charged for additional guests to cover the cost of additional toiletries, linens and bedding.

My first irritation occured when I found out the online specials/packages they had posted didn't apply as I'd booked via phone. When I explained that the site wouldn't let me complete reservations, the reservations clerk told me it was because my request was complicated. Putting 7 adults in 2 suites that each accomodate 4 people doesn't sound complex to me...but whatever....the website looked great, and I was hoping this was just an anomoly.

When we arrived at the hotel things declined more quickly than I can even describe--here's a *short* list of the issues:
1.Upon arrival, well past the guaranteed check-in time of 3:00PM rooms were unavailable and I was informed that a city-wide sellout for available rooms was in effect due to several major conferences. I had no choice but to wait.
2. My party was forced to wait more than 3 hours to be outfitted with rooms, and was offered no alternative or temporary arrangement while waiting. Literally we were sitting in lobby disheveled and travel weary from our trip to Toronto.
3. Car had to be valet parked with luggage in the vehicle as room wasn't ready at advertised check in time. Retrieval of luggage was not assisted; I had to carry bags the distance from parking garage to rooms.
4. Rooms were to be on the same floor. Rooms were on the 14th and 16th floors.
5. Housekeeping was still in room at time of entry, just before 8:00PM.
6. King beds were booked, queen beds were provided in both rooms.
7. Suite with 3 guests had bath linens & toiletries for 2. Suite with 4 guests had bath linens and toiletries for 2, bathrobe for 1, 1 extra pillow provided
8. Though all seven guests were recorded, 2 room keys per room were provided.
9. All reservations booked under single name, yet front desk refused to communicate room number to other room.
10. Linens for pull out bed were shoddy and worn--topped with a faded acrylic throw. Hardly the luxurious 400 thread count linens mentioned multiple times in marketing materials and on your website.
11. Rooms were significantly smaller and less furnished than depicted in online tour and photos and descriptions.
12. Room for 4 was very unkempt and notably devoid of most furnishings:
a. No bar stools provided
b. Artwork & mirrors missing--hanging studs exposed
c. No end table
d. In-room services binder was defaced and scribbled in
e. Phone was missing all marker keys (no idea which button controlled which function)
f. Door handle/lock on bedroom was broken
g. Carpet was stained and dirty throughout

As soon as I became aware of these problems, I reported them to hotel management, who personally observed the described problems. Situation was also explained to the general manager, who was on vacation at the time, as soon as possible. None of these representatives were able to offer any sort of restitution or apology--and most hotel representatives acted as though I was out of order.

I am sickened that I paid $800 to such an unhospitable, poorly run facility for rooms that were occupied for less than 12 hours.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this is definitely NOT the place to stay--an expensive room rate does not equate to a luxurious experience.

• Liked — Location is good
  • Disliked — It was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid the Pantages!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

The Pantages Hotel: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date: August 4, 2006
Reviewer: A frequent traveler Pittsburgh, PA

The Pantages hotel was absolutely amazing. The hotel was clean, the service was excellent, and we totally relaxed. We arrived at the hotel during the Caribanna Festival although we wanted to enjoy the festival we wanted to return to relaxation and we did. The Pantages is wonderful contemporary hotel. My Fiance and I loved it. Expect to pay 30 us per day for parking though. We found a lot across the street for a lot less. When we return to Toronto we will definitely return to the Pantages. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Park in lot across the street
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre? Share your experiences!