“A dump” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Global Village Kensington

Save Saved
You added Global Village Kensington to your Saves list
Global Village Kensington
280 Augusta Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2L9, Canada (Formerly College Hostel) (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #49 of 65 Specialty lodging in Toronto
vanessa, ontario
“A dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Good location; that's it. Dirty. Wifi down for two days despite me telling them of the problem. People treat each other here like the conditions; pathetic.

Room Tip: Sleep on the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Its not a 5 star hotel but it does the job. Brilliant staff with lots of advice on what to do and see in the area. Right in Kensington with lots of different curiouslities about.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at the Global Village Kensington with friends for 1 night while visiting Toronto. We had a double private room but do not be fooled... this is NOT a hotel. It is a very basic hostel.

The room is extremely basic with cold concrete floors, 2 small double beds, a TV and a desk.

The beds were actually very comfortable but that's about the only good thing I can say. The walls are extremely thin and I could hear every noise in the passage outside and there was a lot of noise! There was also a club around the back of the hotel and we could hear the music until the early hours of the morning.

I would advise you look elsewhere for somewhere to stay in Toronto.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011 via mobile

This place is god awful, our room was filthy, with stains on the walls, and the carpet not being vacumed. We had no smoke detector in our room, and part of the lighting fixture had fallen off on the bed. Our sheets and pillow cases had stains all over them too. The worse part however was that the curtains had fallen off the wall, and after notifying the front desk it was fixed with DUCT TAPE!

The only positive aspect of this
place is the helpfulness of the staff, after expressing our extreme
displeasure this facility, we were given a full refund, and money for our taxi.

Beware these rooms are not at all like the pictures, they are filthy, stuffy (no air conditioning), and just plain nasty. The excuse that renovations are occurring is in no way an excusable for the conditions we experienced!

Find a better place to stay!!!!

• Stayed July 2011
YouthHostel, Director of Sales at Global Village Kensington, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Thank you for your review of the hostel. I understand your frustration however we looked in our records and found that you were placed in a room that wasn't yet renovated. The hostel was full during your stay so the desk staff had no other options to offer you. As I have advised our guests on this site, we are going through each and every room renovating them completely and guests who use these new rooms are quite satisfied. I am glad to hear that the staff fully refunded your money upon learning of your concerns.
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I husband stayed here for one week and it was one of the longest weeks of my life. The first thing that strikes you ins the smell. We could not identify it but it permeated every floor and made me want to gag. We asked to be moved from the first room because it had not been vacuumed and the staff we pleasant about this and moved us and helpful at other times too. Our room was very average with pillow cases that I did not trust enough to put my head on so covered it with clothes. We could not get Wifi in our room but when an in an area you could it was good. The bathrooms were clean enough but I had to ask repeatedly for soap in the toilets and then my husband informed me that they had just taken it from the men's so he had none! There was no smoke alarm in the room and no tea towels in the kitchen.

There does appear to be renovations starting but it must be taking a long time as neither of the rooms we were put in had been touched and the halls of our floor had not been freshly painted.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
YouthHostel, Director of Sales at Global Village Kensington, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
I would like to address this response to this guest and any other clients who either have stayed at Global Village Kensington. I am also hoping new guests will review this note and understand our situation.

Firstly I sincerely apologize for the poor reports experienced by some of our guests recently. We have been working very hard to improve this property after taking over management and yet we have not yet accomplished our goal of providing guests with a safe, comfortable accommodation option in downtown Toronto. I assure you however that we will be successful in achieving our goal in the VERY near future. We are literally renovating room by room and floor by floor each and every day. Our staff are working very hard and in the meantime we have lowered our rates so clients can receive excellent value. Our renovated rooms are very comfortable (I stay in the hotel several times each week) and offer excellent value for your budget travel dollar. Please be patient with us and feel free to talk to our staff if you decide to visit our facility. We welcome any suggestions and we look forward to completing our renovations. Thanks
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

The comments by the management on previous reviews seem to be full of empty promise.
We stayed here last week, as with other reviews, our room was dirty, mouse ridden and looked out over garbage bins and a noisy bar/alley.

Our room had ancient carpeting, bed linens, towels & curtains (all of which had questionable brown stains). When we asked at reception for new sheets to change ourselves, we were told they had no spares at that moment and to come back later. The TV reception was poor and the iron in the room did not work (not that we had an ironing board to use). When we turned on the heater, the smell was terrible forcing us to wear our jumpers and hats in bed. The advertiesed WIFI never worked.

Our biggest complaint is the mouse problem. We were kept awake until 4am with several mice running riot in our room. When we complained to staff (a bearded German/Austrian man), they asked if we had food in our room (which we did not), we were then provided with mouse traps to set up ourselves as reception was about to close?! Less than helpful.

I will pass on the message to friends and family: DO NOT STAY AT GLOBAL VILLAGE KENSINGTON!

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
YouthHostel, marketing at Global Village Kensington, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
I want to respond to your comments about the hostel and let you know we appreciate your feedback. First off let me say that I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please believe me when I say we are making every effort to improve the conditions of the building. In fact our maintenance people are working double shifts and on weekends to make over each of the 48 rooms, however this takes time. Many of the rooms are completely updated but you were obviously given a room that hasn't yet been renovated. I stay at this hostel myself night after night and love the location and ambiance of the market and college street. My room changes regularly so I can test all the rooms. Please consider us for your next visit to Toronto and we will do our best to ensure your stay is comfortable. Thanks
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

The hostel is in a great area with lots of fresh veg shops and cheap places to eat. Staff were friendly and really helpful in giving directions. The hostel itself is a bit run down and needs some maintenance, but the room was ok for the price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Global Village Kensington? Share your experiences!