“Simply the best service I have ever had in a hotel/B&B... just wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Seaton Dream B & B

You added A Seaton Dream B & B to your Saves list
A Seaton Dream B & B
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   243 Seaton Street | Toronto, Ontario, Toronto, Ontario M5A 2T5 , Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Ranked #12 of 122 Toronto B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Simply the best service I have ever had in a hotel/B&B... just wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I can honestly say this B&B was one of the highlights of our month long stay in Canada. Alan and Jamie are wonderful hosts and the house is immaculate, its refreshing to find hosts who are evidently so keen to make your stay memorable! The house is on a quiet, green street about 10 - 15 minutes walk from the centre of town - very practical for those wanting to explore the city and far enough away from the centre to avoid the hustle and bustle when you need to.

The rooms we stayed in (the West Wing followed by the Retreat) were extremely comfortable and surprisingly spacious for a B&B. The West Wing in particular had a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi and a king-sized bed. Both were well air-conditioned, extremely welcome considering the heat wave, and had free wi-fi which was very useful to us on such a long stay in Canada. To be honest the Retreat (which we stayed in for the last three nights) was not as good a room as the West Wing, if only because it lacked the light and views from the street outside, but it was still a brilliant place to stay.

What can I say about the hosts and the service - I think it's all captured in the title of this review. My partner and I felt after only a few days like we were staying with friends. Alan's cooking is sublime (although even I was challenged to finish some of the larger breakfasts!) and throughout our stay he went to inordinate effort to make us comfortable - even to the extent of going out specially to get gluten-free food for my girlfriend. Both Alan and Jamie were also able to offer advice about the city, good restaurants, how best to get around and the best places to visit - invaluable as we wanted to experience as much of the city as possible during our stay.

If it is any reflection on how much we enjoyed our stay here, the only downside to our visit was that Alan and Jamie had to leave (ironically going on holiday near where we lived in the UK) just before the end of our visit - although we were especially touched that they left a chilled bottle of wine just to apologise for any inconvinience (there was none Alan - Rosine was lovely!).

I couldn't rate A Seaton Dream more highly. If you're travelling to Toronto and you can get a room - go here. We certainly will be on our next visit! Alan & Jamie thank you both for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

This a true bed and breakfast, in a quirky and unique historical neighborhood conveniently located close to many interesting areas in Toronto. The owner is a delight to be around, and really does cook a mean breakfast, like the other reviewers say. I highly recommend the berry pancakes.

On a fussy note, if you have trouble sleeping unless you're in a pitch dark room, bring your sleeping mask.

Other than that, the place is spotless, the jacuzzi in the West Wing bathroom is huge, and let's not forget the fish tank. Did I mention the place is feng shui'd out?

Oh, and one last thing. If you are not really looking for a B&B, but instead want to have a 5-star luxury experience where you can ignore or be mean to the people who are servicing you, please stay at a hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We treated like old friends. Jamie prepares a wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
madison,wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

My sweetie and I stayed in the East room for 3 nights. It was SO quiet and comfy! I'm a light sleeper and easily slept in until 8am. Everything was very clean. The breakfasts are beautiful and delicious! The deck was an added bonus for early morning and late afternoon relaxing. We walked everywhere in Toronto from here.

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Pretty street with old houses, lots of parking. 5 minute walk to Cabbagetown main street, 20 minute walk to Dundas Square, 5 minutes to street car pick up. Cosy, well appointed rooms, only problem is loud people in the road below late at night. Wooden floors mean lower rooms can hear all movement above. Jamie was so friendly and helpful and breakfast was great.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

After a smooth and uneventful journey into Toronto, I arrived at A Seaton Dream with a bit of trepidation as something always tends to go wrong when I travel. But those feelings were quickly squelched as I was greeted at the door by Alan and shown around the lovely B&B.

I stayed in The Retreat - the basement room - for two nights. It is a large, comfortable, well-appointed, bright and super clean suite. It's the only room on that level, so if you're looking for a quiet, private area (perhaps to do some work like I was?), it's an ideal space.

Jamie and Alan are amazing hosts - friendly, very easy to talk to, but not overbearing or pushy. (And as the previous reviews have all mentioned: Jamie's cooking skills are incredible! I definitely felt spoiled.) Alan gave me a great overview of the neighbourhood, including restaurant recommendations, area highlights and transportation information, so I was all set for my time in the city.

I will definitely be staying at this B&B anytime I'm in Toronto, for business purposes or for a personal holiday!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

A Seaton Dream is a nice, clean, unpretentious B&B.

We've stayed in a lot of B&Bs over the years and have experienced all kinds of hosts. Alan and Jamie, the owners of A Seaton Dream, are fantastic, easy people who have created a very friendly environment in their home. They make things seem easy and never give you the feeling that anything is a bother. Their brand of hospitality should be a model for other B&B owners.

We stayed in the 'west wing', which is a nice, clean room at the front of the house ($159/night). The photos on the website are accurate. The space has been recently renovated so the floors and walls are pristine (not a speck of dirt anywhere). The furnishings throughout the house have a simple and uncluttered feel to them. They are not luxurious but I like the feel to the place: simple and straightforward. The west wing is a good sized room (but not a wing). The en suite bathroom feels more luxurious as there is a huge jetted tub and lot of polished stone tile. It's a good size bathroom. I'd rate the linens are fair-to-average, nothing special.

We liked the location and felt that it was great to stay in a real neighborhood. It is not as central as staying downtown or in Yorkville, but we enjoyed it for something different. Cabbagetown is not far away and is worth exploring. As others have metioned, the house is located in an area that is "in transition" but we were not concerned. This particular block of Seaton is adorable and is filled with early 20th century homes that have been renovated. There is good transport to the downtown area by streetcar (just a block and a half away) or bus. It's also easy enough to walk. St. Lawrence Market is just 25 minutes by foot. The streetcar will take you east to west toward the AGO or Chinatown. Buses will take you toward Union Station. If you have your own car, street parking is allowed, but you must buy a permit (available thru Jamie and Alan) for about $20 for the entire stay. It was safe.

I can't say enough good things about Alan and Jamie. They do kind things that are above and beyond. For example, they offered us free tickets to a film at the Toronto Filmfest (going price for rush seats = $40+). We could not use them, but another couple did and were pleased as punch to participate in this event. How many B&B hosts would do this? The next morning we all reveled in hearing their story of going to the film fest. It was priceless.

Overall, we enjoyed this B&B very much. There are many, many places to stay in Toronto, but we would return because of the hosts alone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to A Seaton Dream B & B? Share your experiences!