“I don't get it” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Californian
Toronto, Canada
“I don't get it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The sandwiches are good, but I feel like I outgrew any desire to eat a pound of vein-y meat and cup of sauce on a boring white bun. I didn't finish my sandwich (veal) and neither did my wife (meatballs). They tasted okay, but not great.

The veal was good, not great, and for $8 sandwich I want great espec. since they nickel and dime you if you want onions/peppers etc. I was a little insulted that they wanted me to pay an extra $3 for onions and muchrooms. The meatball sandwich was boring but fine. I get grossed out by gristle/fat and I was pleased with texture of the meatballs.

The ambiance is dreadful. Bright lights, high ceiling, bad acoustics, cheap signage. The vast majority of patrons I saw got take-out so they could eat their soggy sandwich at home I guess.

The people who like these types of sandwiches will continue to like them, and California Sandwiches has a good reputation. The food was decent, just not my thing and nothing else about the place made we want to make return visit.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Best sandwich ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This place has by far the best italian sandwich! Get the chicken with cheese and you won't be dissapointed! Honestly you could probably get anything from the menu and it would be amazing!

Jamaica
“Veal or eggplant are scrumpdilicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A real mom and pop home cooking experience. I used to allow myself to crave these sandwiches when they were in the Beaches, but since they closed that location a few years ago I've had to curb my cravings which has been by painful indeed. One sandwich could generally serve two people but it isn't worth sharing, you'd be better off stuffing yourself silly and as luring every bite.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Far too much breading.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

The meat is sliced far too thin much better sandwiches in the city.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere