“A great place to wind down and be pampered” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #10 of 141 hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“A great place to wind down and be pampered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just spent Friday night here, and it was wonderful. Arrived in the middle of a blizzard and welcomed, checked in and waited on for dinner, lovely. The staff were extremely attentive and certainly exceeded our needs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

473 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

No doubt about it: the rooms are comfortable and well apopointed. Molton & Brown body care products are a welcome plus and fellow female travellers will appreciate the really good hair dryer.
The experience would be perfect if hotel and restaurant staff were more in sync with the overall ambition of the hotel.
Instead, the Germain seems to be suffering from the same issues as its sibling in Montreal. Essentially, there seems to be a disconnect between the hotel's ambition and the training of its staff. Hotel staff are friendly but just short of fully reliable. Food in the restaurant is good - but the restaurant manager can hardly be othered to say greet his clients. Wait staff are cheery but very impersonal (even though not as offputting as in Montreal).
These are details but taken together mean that the hotel falls short of a real 5star experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Toronto, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear BlueDolphinBrussels,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor. I appreaciate your feedback on the service you received. We strive to have casual, authentic exchanges with our guests but can not lose sight of the importance of the details as you mentioned. Rest assured that we are able to do so and you comments motivate us even more to make sure it is done consistently. If you have any further details that you feel would be helpful to me, please do not hesitate to contact me at pdeladurantaye@germaintoronto.com.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Paul de La Durantaye
Maui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at the property and was not disappointed. I will definitely stay there again when the opportunity presents itself. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the food is excellent, the breakfast perfect and the location is great.Rooms are spacious, beds are extremely comfortable, bathrooms are sexy and I would only wish for better bathroom lighting for makeup!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We live in the west end of Toronto and have actually stayed here for special occasions and staycaions. We keep returning because the rooms are massive (!), stylish and well appointed. This hotel group really introduced the boutique hotel concept to Canada and this location really lends itself well to spoiling and pampering yourself. The staff are elegant, reserved, quietly attentive, and highly professional. On booking one visit, I had mentioned it was for an anniversary. Ten minutes after settling into our room, the concierge sends up a greeting with a large dessert platter on the house....small personal touches like this keep us coming back!

Big tip: request a room that faces King street, not Mercer.....for better views and better sleep quality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Where do I begin?...ok, first I guess I should let you know I am a princess when it comes to my accommodations without apologizes...super clean bathrooms, clean high quality sheets, puffy pillows, carpets clean, nice ascetics in bthrm and bedroom, attentive staff, and welcoming! So to be truthful, it's kind of hard to please me. I'm willing to pay $$$$ but I expect the value for the price.
This place hit all of my high expectations and... surpassed!
We flew down to Toronto 2 weekends in a row, once just my husband and I for a romantic getaway after the Christmas madness, and the other weekend with our 2 boys 10 & 14 yr. olds. Before we arrived the first time Gregory was our concierge and he actually planned out a romantic itinerary for us before we arrived and emailed it over to me to review! Susan & Gregory did the same for our getaway for the boy’s weekend as well. I made the final chooses on restaurants, entertainment and they did the rest! I also secretly prearranged for my husband chocolate dipped strawberries. He called me to ask "exactly" what time we would arrive as to not have the berries out too soon or late. They were perfect! Not only were they huge and perfect but Gregory & Susan even arranged a cracker & cheese platter on the side as well...no charge!!! Are you kidding me!!! Hence the reason we decided when we left to book the following weekend with our kids to enjoy a getaway too. The second time around was equally as attentive and pleasant. Even the hallways have uniquely displayed green apples to take and eat at your convenience...the kids liked that! lol. The morning breakfast was equally acceptable and a bit on the gourmet side but had all the essentials...not a "hardy" type breakfast but descent and they had all the basics covered ...and tongs! That speaks volumes to me...sanitary! …especially during flu seasons.
Location wise….perfect! It’s actually attached to the Air Canada Center and Union Station without going outside in the cold Northern wind off the lake and dirty slush. Plenty of taxis that your doorman will flag down for you. The hotel is nice and quiet as well...no kids running around. We have 6 boys, so I don't hate children obviously but when I want a "romantic" weekend I appreciate the adult only atmosphere.
If you’re going to try this hotel for a romantic getaway...take the room with the round bed, it also over looks straight ahead and up close the CN Tower! It's a huge room and even a sitting area with a sectional sofa, iPhone stereo, huge walk-in closet (very nice quality & functional), built-in iron very well hidden (...beside the left side of the t.v...it took us a while to find it, lol) and a super huge bthrm with 2 sinks, separate rain shower, Jacuzzi tub and separate toilet with sliding glass door ..frosted. Lol. But the bathroom is enclosed by "glass" walls! You can see your spouse as they bathe! lol....Did I mention it was a "romantic" getaway? Lol For those of you who are shy…they have wooden blinds as well over the glass walls if need be.
My husband and I often take romantic getaways, and Toronto is a hop jump and away for us, therefore we have tried numerous hotels in the area…this is now our “only” future choose. Why go anywhere else when they exceed value, quality and service? They can’t be beat!
PERFECT FOR A PRINCESS, HUSBAND (he dosen't want to be called a Prince, lol) , and CHILDREN!
opps...sorry but I clicked on pool & spa....there is none but we didn't miss it with Toronto's fun waiting outside your door.

Room Tip: If you’re going to try this hotel for a romantic getaway...take the room with the round bed, it also...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The service and decor were good. The added details make this a good boutique hotel experience; Molton brown toiletries, glasses with room numbers, unique and gourmet snacks, oversized tub and large bathroom with vanity in the suite, robes, slippers, very clean, above average breakfast, unique lounge area that is the library.

Unfortunately a few key things negated these and made the stay only average; the room service meals were horrible. Based on the luxury boutique hotel label and Victor restaurant being in the hotel, we expected more and when we couldn't dine at Victor due to a private function, we were told the food and menu would be good and from the restaurant - it was not good. The fan/hvac system in the room rattled consistently. We turned it off as we didn't need heat or A/C however this is not acceptable at this price point for a suite. Also a light over the bed was 'flickering' and almost sounded like 'something' was scurrying....it wasn't, we knew that, but again, not acceptable. We did inform the desk the next day. Finally, out of the control of the hotel, the street was under heavy construction and was 'closed' and a one way street to begin with. We had to park in a near-by lot and then try to sort out payment/valet. Small annoyances that added up.

We really wanted this it be an excellent night out in our city but it was only okay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Toronto, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear KatarinaAdventures,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service and the added details that we offer. I apolgize for maintenance issues and although as you mention it is out of our control, we are working diligently with our neighbours to ensure that getting to and from the hotel is a seemless as possible.

Regarding the qualitly of room service, I would very much appreciate speaking with you directly in order to get more detals to follow up properly. Please feel free to contact me directly at pdeladurantaye@germaintoronto.com so that I may ensure your concerns are addressed.

Once again, your feedback is very appreciated and I hope to be able to speak with you directly in the near future.

Regards,

Paul de La Durantaye
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Really cannot say enough about this lovely hotel. The rooms are very nice and well laid out. The bed is incredibly comfortable. The hotel staff is very helpful and very pleasant. The location couldn't be better, right in the heart of the city and close to theater, shopping, restaurants and sports venues. Hotel was lovely and quiet. Breakfast was perfect. An assortment of fruits, yoghurt, cereals, baked goods, etc. This is a boutique hotel that provides a lovely oasis in the bustle of the city. Outstanding!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DinoGurusamy, Director Of Operations at Hotel Le Germain Toronto, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear In2exploring,

Thank you for your “First Class” review, I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I will pass your comments on to all of our staff and look forward to welcoming you back

Regards

Dino Gurusamy

Been to Hotel Le Germain Toronto? Share your experiences!