“Awesome place” 4 of 5 stars

Canadiana Backpackers
42 Widmer Street, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2E9, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
“Awesome place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It has a great location, it is super clean, might get a little hot in the rooms during summer but definitely is a good place to stay. Staff is super friendly very accommodating, the only thing that needs improvement is breakfast, only bread and some spreads. I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Hancock, Maine, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was in Toronto for NXNE in early June. I booked the Canadiana after reading the reviews. I had changed my reservation a couple times via e-mail and the staff was always accommodating. The hostel had an excellent rate for a 7 night stay. I could have stayed here cheaper but I wanted a private room so I paid more.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. The hostel only has 5 parking spaces available so it can be hard to get one. There were none available for the first night of my stay but there are plenty of underground parking garages available close-by at $23 for 24 hours. The parking spaces at the Canadiana are $20 for 24 hours which I thought was a lot until I checked out the other places. I was able to get a parking space the 2nd day I was there and just kept my car there for the next 6 days. The parking spaces are very tight.

The check-in process was flawless and easy. Then I was super excited to find out that my room was in a house at the end of the street and nearly the whole street was the hostel. The first room I had had a private bathroom and it was super clean. The room was really clean and there was plenty of room for my boyfriend and I to be comfortable. It would have been nice if there was some type of dresser or shelves in the room though and the mattresses aren't great. The second room we had did not have a private bathroom but the shared bathrooms were also very clean though there were only 2 showers for 8 rooms.

The common spaces of the hostel were a lot of fun. There was a dining room/lounge with free pancakes and coffee every morning and free tea all day. There were plenty of places to sit and hang out and a back door onto the patio where there were all kinds of things going on all the time. There was a free BBQ one night that was great because we were traveling on a tight budget. It was a fun way to get to know the other people staying there. There was also a free wine and cheese night while we were there but we went out that night instead. There was also a movie room that people could use but we never did. There were VHS/DVDs available or you could hook up your laptop. Pretty cool feature!! It would probably be nice in the winter. The internet service was great, free, and fast enough to upload a ton of pictures and watch movies.

The location of the hostel is fantastic. Since we were there for a citywide music festival it was great being in such a handy location. We walked everywhere, including the waterfront. The MMVAs were going on around the corner while we were there so there was always a heavy police and security presence around the surrounding blocks so I felt really safe walking around until 4am. I don't know if the environment always feels that safe though.

You can hear doors shutting all over the house and there's a lot of noise from the street. That's the only negative I could give this hostel. Even though it didn't bother me, I know it would bother other people. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hostel to others and I will be staying here the next time I go to Toronto. I loved it here and I really felt like I was going home at the end of every long night.

Room Tip: The double with a private bathroom is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I chose this hostel as it had good reviews however I'm afraid it didn't live up to expectations.

I booked online a few weeks in advance as I he=ad heard the hostel fills up quickly (it was full half the time i was there) however when I arrived the reservation had been messed up meaning I would have to switch rooms part way through the visit but told I could move straight into the room as it was their mistake. On the day I was told I would have to move reception told me to store my stuff in a locker and I would have to wait to check in at 2 to the new room, even though it was their error. It then transpired that I did not have to move until the next day, where the whole process was repeated, which was a pain and took up my time.

The Rooms are small and don't have enough space for bags etc they were also extremely warm and the windows didn't open . The bathrooms were certainly not clean throughout my stay and the water was rarely warm. The breakfast is defiantly lacking, cold pancakes or toast on alternating days (would it be too much to ask to have the choice each day)

The common area is a nice space and has book and games available. However there is a constant group of people who stay in the hostel pretty much long term (several months) and this leads to the atmosphere feeling quite cliquey bordering on uncomfortable for the other travellers (I know other people I spoke to felt the same).

I also thought it was rather mean that the vast selection of books could not be swapped, it is the norm in hostels to book swap after all. (this may be more to do with the large group of permanent residents)

I would say stay if you just need a bed to sleep in for the night but defiantly don't expect much

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having stayed in a few hostels in Canada I feel I can now review my hosteling "home" Every hostel I stay in I always think "The Canadiana does this better" and always find myself comparing. For good reason, the hostel has the best staff (reception, housekeeping) is well run by a visible and great manager and owner. The hostel is easily the cleanest, I'm currently staying in one of the hostels that regularly wins awards, even after the bathrooms are cleaned here, they're still not cleaner than the Canadiana's.

The hostel itself is a row of converted houses, which really adds to the atmosphere and making it feel more like home! The location couldn't be any better. Right down town and close to everything. A range of activities during the week provide great opportunities for you to meet new people and make great friends, of which I have made many at the Canadiana!

As others have mentioned the only drawback is the breakfast. Others offer a wider selection. However, having seen in other hostels how some travelers take advantage of that, grabbing handfuls, selfishly taking extras for lunch and dinner so there's not enough to go around, perhaps it's not a bad thing! I will add too that during the summers, free BBQ and during the winter free dinner on one day a week is a great addition!

Having spent almost 4 months in total during my various stays at the Canadiana, I can't recommend it enough!

Thank you Canadiana, keep up the great work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Lovely staff who were all very helpful! great pancakes for breakfast and free tea all day was great..! Cheaper to contact hostel directly than book through the Internet. Beds could be a little more comfortable but the bedrooms and bathrooms were clean. Brilliant location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Prince Albert, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I wondn't recommend this hotel in Toronto at all!
-Rooms and bathrooms are too small, mattress aren't comfy at all.
-They say FREE breakfast, but the breakfast was ONLY cold pancakes.
- Internet didn't work well on the room.

For the price I paid, I was expecting at least a decent breakfast and rooms!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The second time I've stayed at this hostel and the staff are friendly and it's pretty clean. A few areas for improvement however, there were never enough showers to go around in both of the buildings that i stayed in, made worse when they were also being cleaned in the morning (i.e. peak shower time!), staff could explain the facilities on offer a little more at check in (I think it was the girls first day though so maybe they do usually), the breakfast was limited to pancakes ... Not great if you don't like pancakes and the temperature in the rooms was almost unbearably hot.
Positives - the bunk beds are good and solid meaning that you don't hear a lot of noise/get woken up when people come to bed late, there are handy lockers in all rooms and towels and linen is free.
It's also in a great location

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Canadiana Backpackers? Share your experiences!