“Great food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Burger Cellar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #606 of 6,793 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Hamburgers
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had a great night at the Burger Cellar recently. The burgers were tasty and reasonably priced for an "upscale" burger place. They have gluten free options which is a bonus and although the GF bun wasn't that great the actual burger tasted fab! They even have a GF flatbread which is absolutely fantastic and a treat for us that have gluten allergies.

We had an amazing friendly and warm server who was attentive and went out of his way to make our evening enjoyable.

Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ajax, Canada
“Classy, upscale burger joint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Classy, upscale burger joint
Decided to try this place out after driving past it frequently. My husband and I went in the early evening on a Friday during a snow storm and were promptly seated in the bar area. The atmosphere was what I expected of a restaurant in the Lawrence Park area. I was surprised to see children in a trendy, upscale restaurant that advertises themselves as a wine bar, but as the evening progressed, the clientele matured. If dining-in isn't your thing, they do have take-out available.
We started with the sweet chili chicken which had just enough heat to give it a little kick. My husband had the Cellar burger and I had the turkey burger. The burgers didn't come with any side dishes like french fries, but that wasn't necessary as the burgers are huge, delicious and above all filling. The food is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay. I noticed the line up as we were leaving which is a testament to their popularity. Great place, I'd highly recommended and will definitely go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“A classy spot for burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Burger Cellar has turned into a a very busy neighbourhood spot and it's no surprise to see why - it's a great looking restaurant (particularly for a burger joint!), with decent burgers and attentive service.

I was able to make a reservation on Open Table just 20 minutes for getting to the restaurant and I'm glad I did. Upon arrival we were quickly shown to our table and it was the last available one. We were warmly greeted by our server who quickly took or drink order and they appeared in short order. The menu is quite limited but does include sufficient variety to satisfy most tastes. We shared an appetizer - the Caprese Flat Bread served with mozzarella, tomatoes, arugula, pesto and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. It was quite good though there was just a little more vinegar on it than I would prefer.

Burgers are the centerpiece of the menu but there are other options for your main course including a veggie burger, several fish dishes and and a grilled cheese sandwich. There are five set burger creations but a huge assortment of additional toppings (16 in total at $1.25/each) and eight cheeses to choose from (at $1.75 each). I went with the simple "Classic Burger" and added the Gruyere cheese. While the burger was on the small size it was perfectly cooked and most flavourful. There are three options when ordering the burger - Black Angus, Natural and Prime. The price goes up accordingly. Not sure if it's work going for the Prime version - the natural one is what I ordered.

The dessert options are quite limited so we decided to pass on it.

The Burger Cellar is a great place for families with young children or for adults looking for a casual meal. The burgers aren't cheap and don't include fries or any other sides. If you want to go with fries or onion rings (which are very good) it can push to cost of the burger above $20. The restaurant does try to promote local foods - there are several Ontario cheeses available - and all bread is gluten free which is a bonus for those with this as an issue.

The relatively high prices and smallish size of the burger is what held me back from giving Burger Cellar a 5 star rating. Otherwise, it' a great spot for a quick and good meal.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went here for our second time December 8th, 2012, first trip was 2 years ago. Loved both visits. You need to know what you are getting into when you go to a restaurant called "the Burger Cellar". Don't give the place a 2 star and say "not a lot of choices other than Bugers". Makes no sense. I will tell you what you get when you come to this restaurant:

Good appetizer selection: I had the tuna taco's (great starter, light and flavourful), and my wife had the Caprese Salad (Huge portion, great pesto and balsamic drizzle, only thing I would add would be a bit of fresh basil but that's just being picky).

Main: They have burgers....at the Buger Cellar. A couple of other options (fish, steak frites, etc.) but generally if you don't like burger's don't go to the burger cellar. I had the BCB, selected prime for my beef and wasn't dissappointed. Fries that came with it were great...not greasy, perfectly salted and hot. My wife had the Alan burger (blue cheese, carmelized onions), she loved it. Got the Fried pickles for her side...they were good but not the best we've had.

Desert: Not a lot of options so we passed...we were also very full :)

Beverages: I had the BC Caesar and it was fantastic (who ever thought to put port in a caesar is a genious), my wife had a mojito and it was good. We loved the wine we had two years ago and were happy to see it on the list again (Velvet Devil Merlot) but were encouraged to have the Marietta Cab and it was outstanding. Thanks for the recommendation.

Service: Our waitress seemed inexperience but eager to help...when it came to the wine she deferred to the shift supervisor/manager so good for her for knowing her limits. She was attentive and pleasant.

All in all, one of our favorite burger joints in the city...a great place, we will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Yummy in the tummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

How wonderful to be able to make a reservation(at a burger eatery) and have it honoured on time.Three of us ate here on Sat. Nite,November 24th,first time.We were seated seconds upon arrival.The interior of the restaurant is inviting,comfortable tables and seating,some booths,a good looking bar area...and a terrific staff.Jeff looked after us...very well.The menu has something for everyone,burgers do dominate and so they should.We each had burgers,salads,onion rings and of course frites! The food was delicious.A very good wine ,beer and exotic drink menu rounds out the evening.Oh,and did I mention yummy desserts? Please note that the restaurant attracts many Families in the early part of evenings. Pearlie13

• Visited November 2012