“Hidden gem in suitland” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Hidden gem in suitland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Gabardine is a great little nook on Bay Street, south of Queen. For the price, the quality can't be beat. I've been twice and highly recommend the BLT. My dining companions had the Mac and cheese and the portobello sandwich and were also very pleased. It's very hard to get a table for lunch as reservations aren't accepted at that time of day. I recommend making a reservation for dinner instead. If you work in the area something tells me you could easily find enough work to do until a reasonable dinner hour. Staff are friendly and attentive. Only gripe: on both occasions there has been a fruit fly (that is excelle t at dodging clapping hands) lingering around the table. it hasn't stopped me from going back though.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Lots of options, great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Have always wanted to try this place after hearing about it from a foodie I follow on twitter and I'm glad I finally went. Since I figured it would be busy on a Saturday, i made a reservation that night and good thing I did, because 8:30pm was the earliest time available. Totally worth it though! I believe the menu changes daily, but we enjoyed chicken pâté (I'm not normally a fan, but really enjoyed their version) and fried green tomatoes as apps. The fried green tomatoes were amazing, I only wish there were more than 2 slices! For entrees, my guest and I shared the pickerel fish tacos and the lamb and beef moussaka. The fish tacos were delicious and the dill in the potato salad was amazingly fresh. The moussaka was perfectly seasoned and was great. Didn't have room for dessert, but I did want to try the churros - maybe next time! I would definitely go back!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great Spot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I love this place.

I used to walk by the previous dive-bar which inhabited this spot, it was a dark and dingy (don't remember the name) spot I tell you.... almost scared to venture in.

Alas, The Gabardine sets up shop.

I've been on a number of occasions since it's opening. By far no means a regular but I've used it as a go-to spot for dinner when friends are around the area.

So last week I headed over to have a bite and some pints with a 'suit' pal who works on Bay. It was packed out but the server slid a table out and said we're welcome to sit back and dine.

I'm a big fan of their Okanagan on tap. Using this to wash down the sirloin burger of course, which was BIG. Topped with cheese, tomato, aioli, and some usual fixings. Accompanied by a side of fries which were, well, okay. But I was there for the burger.

I like the layout of the place, not too big, well decorated. Nice sized kitchen in the back which let's you see all the action if you so please.

The servers I dealt with that night were bar none pros. Attentive, friendly, and accommodating given me and my friend did not have a reservation.

It's a well-mixed crowd every time I've been. Considering you're on Bay and given the area you'd expect a room of suits. Not so much. Yeah, suits, hipsters (the Gatsby types), locals?, maybe even a tourist or two? Either way; diverse crowd. I like it.

Hands down, I'll be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Interesting cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Small and fairly cramped dining room but excellent food and a good atmosphere. Try the fish taco, served on a board, it's a perfect sized light lunch. Service was ok, very busy place, close to Eaton Centre, and a liittle like an English pub inside. Would go back for sure

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belleville, Canada
“Good prices, very cramped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were strolling around Toronto looking for a place to stop for dinner and came across this place. It looked interesting enough to go into. It is a very small place, and they do their best to cram everyone in. Maybe I'm not used to Toronto eateries, but I like more than 2 square feet to occupy.
The food was pretty good, but I wouldnt say fantastic.
The prices were a bit lower than I was expecting to have to pay, so that was a plus.
The service was quick, but hardly enthused.

Aside from the space, the biggest detractor for me was the noise. The kitchen is open to the restaurant, and they have a very noisy exhaust fan (at least, that's what I assumed it was) that goes almost constantly. It does help to drown out the conversation of the strangers that are pretty much sitting with you, but when it goes off (for very short periods of time), it highlights the sheer level of noise in the restaurant.

• Visited October 2012