“Worst Service ever” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Worst Service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Went to this restaurant a few nights ago; the server didn't speak English and totally screwed up my order and then got mad at me when I said something!

Visited January 2012

Toronto, Ontario
“Very good lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I went for lunch with a large group of co-workers. No problem getting seated since we had a reservation. Large groups are put in the middle of the restaurant at big tables. Smaller groups sit at the edges of the room. It does get noisy when the restaurant is busy.

The food was very good. We ordered a variety of dishes and shared amongst the group. I enjoyed the shrimp congee and chicken congee. The hot and sour soup was also good. Most of our group did not like the house special chicken since it had a yellow skin and was served cold. However I tried it with the ginger sauce and thought it was tasty so I ate most of this dish. Service was prompt but the servers are busy so don't be afraid to speak up to get their attention. It was a very good lunch and I'll be back.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“If you don't mind the noise...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

It is a good place to have lunch or dinner with lots of friends in a round table.
Portions are good size to share with all, but it was better. Now all plates look like the same.
The waiting line can be big if you need a bigger table.
The loud noise is also something that is annoying. You can barely listen to people in your own table. You have to yell to get people listen to you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great place for a group lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Really like the set up inside the restaurant with tables in the middle surrounded by booths along the wall... we were 6 guys and we ate our fill for about $9 at lunch time. The highlight of the meal was definitely the salt and pepper squid.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Is it the food or is it the MSG? that tastes so good?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I go to this restaurant every once in awhile and it's a very good deal.

This restaurant seems to always have people in it and I suggest that if you're going to have dinner there, to get there before 6pm or after 8pm. On weekends, it really is constantly busy and for a good reason, you can get a good meal for a very good price.

On this occasion, we ordered:

B27 - Conpoy Congee - $1.95
M9 - Bean Curd with dried scallop and mushroom - $11.25
M52 - Fried turnip patties Singapore style - $5.25
* * Subtotal : $18.45

My wife and I really like the congee here. I used to hate congee as a kid because it was boring, basically just rice and water and that's because my parents made it that way! They didn't add any spices or flavouring to it. I'm not sure what they add here, but I'm guessing it bits on scallop or fish. Anyway, it's really good.

The bean curd comes with a circle of broccoli and was quite good for what could have been a boring vegetable dish. The turnip patties have a mix of shrimp and eggs and as well were pretty tasty.

Even though we were pretty hungry, we could not finish all the food we had ordered. For two people, a congee bowl, a main and an appetizer will be more than enough! Unless you're a big time eater and your wife is too!

As most of the time it's pretty busy, the service staff are always walking around quickly and doing things. You will have to flag them down when you want to order, get more tea or your bill. They are not ignoring you, you just have to call on them.

What has given us pause about eating here more often is that something is giving us a headache afterwards and we are suspecting it to be MSG. Lately, we have been eating healthier and having less processed foods and this has made us react differently to things and places that we normally eat at.

It could be something else, but that's our current guess...

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere