“Unique and wonderful - One of My Favorites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Mill Toronto

Save Saved
You added Old Mill Toronto to your Saves list
Old Mill Toronto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Old Mill Rd, Toronto, Ontario M8X 1G5, Canada (Formerly Old Mill Inn & Spa)   |
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 142 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sandy Springs, Georgia
“Unique and wonderful - One of My Favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 6 times now (always off-season) and I love it's unique character and charm. With only a coup,e of negatives, this is my go to place in Toronto so long as you do not need to be near the business center.

Backdrop: The hotel is nestled into a clearing of woods, with train access within walking distance. It's a good size facility, including a conference center, but its not too large. Runners will appreciate the ready access to relatively flat trails across the street.

Lobby: the lobby is wood adorned and rustic, with a fireplace, seating area and bar that serves decent food and spirits. The staff is friendly and can help with transportation needs.

Rooms: This last time I was in room 503 and its simply huge. You take an elevator to the fifth floor and then have to walk up a ramp to the room. This is an important point for those that have mobility issues, you are either walking down or up since the hotel is situated in a hilly area. Of course there are elevators, but do not expect a level floor most of the time.

Once you enter the room you will be greeted by jazz music playing in the background. The hotel often hosts the local jazz station and you should Call in advance and find out if there is an event. If there is, attend it as its quite fun. You do need reservations.

The room itself is 5 star. I had a sitting room, family room and bedroom. As far as I know all rooms have fake fireplaces that work well, but don't actually throw off heat. The bed is very comfortable and there is plenty of other seating area and computer access. Task lighting is very good. The bathroom is spacious with all the amenities. I had a separate tub and shower. Best of all, everything was clean and the HVAC worked well.

Food: I have dined at the restaurant and the pub. The restaurant food is good to very good. The pub food is surprisingly good. The cheese plate was nice and the calamari is grilled and had wonderful flavor. One minor complaint is that the kitchen closes too early at 9:00. It should be open until at least 10:30pm. If you want other food you will need a car or cab and there are rarely cabs just waiting there, so one will have to be called, though I rarely have to wait long.

Amenities: Since I was there for business I can't comment too much, but there is a spa, a gift shop and the aforementioned convention center in the basement. Cell service is spotty at the lower levels, but wireless seems to work okay. Food at the conference I was at was also pretty good.

Dings: Not many. Food service hours and things can be a bit of a hike. The hotel reminds me of that Escher optical illusion art of a square where people keep walking in circles, always up. The hotel is like that. They do try to put up a lot of signs, but every day people asked me for directions to the lobby. I easily overlook this and give this 4 stars and one of my personal favorite hotels and my own personal bike reward.

Room Tip: Go high floor, near the elevator. Many rooms are slightly different, but all are nice that I have s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very good room, loved the Home Smith bar. Didn't eat in the restaurant but did try spa services (massage and reflexology). Both were very good and not too expensive considering the location. Service was very good.

• Stayed October 2012
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and while it was a lovely stay, I'm not sure it was worth the horrifying expense. We often stay at four star hotels at a third of the price, and this is the first time I've had a room in the basement. Sorry, "garden level". It was raining during our stay and the free parking across the street was difficult to access because the entrance was basically flooded and we had a baby and stroller. I guess you're paying for the character and not having to find your way home after the wedding but I think you're better off staying elsewhere and saving your money. Nice place, no complaints, but better value elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went here to celebrate my 30th birthday and got a package from a deal site. It could not have been better. The hotel itself is beautiful. We drove from out of town and I immediately felt underdressed as soon as we walked in! It's a gorgeous building with an upscale atmosphere. We waited a few minutes for our room to be ready, not too long.

When we got there the room was GORGEOUS. Firstly, the size was enormous (we were in the Deluxe King Suite), impeccably fitted and almost right out of a movie. There was a chilled bottle of wine and a birthday card from the hotel waiting. Quiet jazz was playing on the room stereo and there were rose petals and (flameless) candles set up around the jacuzzi in the bathroom. The bathroom was huge - full jacuzzi tub with more than enough room for two, double sink and separate shower plus a separate WC with toilet and sink as well. There was even a phone by the toilet, if you were so inclined :)

The living room area was lovely, with a fireplace, wall of windows leading to a balcony with a nice view (it would be even better in the summer or earlier in the fall than when we were there in late October), TV, wet bar, stereo, etc. There was a separate dining room and a large bedroom as well. The bed was a large four-poster king, with nice linens and pillows and was very comfortable and clean. The room was quiet, we had no issues at all with noise. Everything was very clean and the hotel is in a great location. The service was great and all of the extra touches were thoughtful and well executed - they even gave us a call in-room to make sure everything was to our liking, and the turndown service was great as well.

It was easily the best hotel I have ever stayed in thus far and would be tough to top in the future! It's a beautiful venue and I can see why they host so many weddings there too.

I did receive a spa gift card with my package that I wasn't able to use, as there were no appointments that day, and I live out of town, but that was the only 'con' to our stay. I would VERY happily stay there again (I know I will!) and I highly recommend the Old Mill!!

Port Elgin, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and were amazed at the size of the rooms. We stayed in a king suite with a separate sitting room. The bed was comfortable and the view overlooking the courtyard was nice. It was the end of October so there was not any flowers and the pond was drained but we could tell it would be spectacular in the warmer months. We ate in the dining room one night and that was a letdown. I ordered the crisp arctic char which I have had before in another restaurant. It came overcooked and with no crisp skin. The waiter was very gracious and offered to replace the meal. I declined his offer as my wife had her chicken meal and was enjoying it. When the waiter cleared the plates he noticed I had not eaten the fish he returned with the bill less the fish dinner. Good service.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are quiet
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here during late October/early November 2012. Best hotel we've ever stayed at. Excellent room and very comfortable bed. Maid service excellent. At the time of our stay it was extremely quiet, with the Toronto subway just a five minute walk away. Continental breakfast was included in our stay and personally we feel that this would be more than ample for most people - cereals/breads/fruit/meat/cheese/tea/coffee etc.Staff serving at breakfast were excellent - very informative and professional in their duties. This a hotel that hosts many corporate events and weddings, and although we didn't have a problem we would imagine that in the summer months open windows and music from events may be an issue - quiet rooms are higher up - 3rd/4th floors facing the subway station..
In our opinion the evening dinner was very expensive, as was "afternoon tea" but there are many cheaper alternatives within a 10 - 20 minute walk along Bloor Street. Our favourites were El Classico (pizza/pasta at Jane) and Dr. Generosity (Runnymeade). Really depends how far you want to walk, or travel on subway.
The only downside for us was the parking - we got a parking ticket on our first day (voided by Old Mill) but we often found that if you took your car out there were no parking spaces on your return, especially at weekends.
However, would definitely stay here again if we were ever to travel to Toronto in the future but feel that the management need to "reserve" car parking spaces for their hotel guests..

Room Tip: 3rd / 4th floor facing away from courtyard, strangely enough towards subway station e.g. 314/315/316...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beautiful inside and out. Bring your cameras when you stay here because it is just stunning. Room was very large, comfortable, nice combination of old charm and modernity. Staff are great and very helpful.
Provides a perfect getaway to Toronto. Nearby there are terrific walking trails as you are surrounded by beautiful nature. Walk just one block to a subway line that zips you downtown in no time at all. You get the serenity of being away from the city with incredibly convenient access to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Mill Toronto? Share your experiences!