“Does the job, reception area is modern, the rest of the hotel a bit dated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #64 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Does the job, reception area is modern, the rest of the hotel a bit dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently whilst visiting on business.

Whilst at first glance the main reception are looks very modern, the rest of the hotel is somewhat outdated.

This doesn't take away from the fact that I had a good nights sleep and clean room. Not really much noise from the airport either, considering how close this hotel is.

Food wasn't much to write about, I wish I had gone out for breakfast on the first day I was there.

I stay at many hotels whilst on business and I think this one is worth 3 stars only.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HotelGMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Scott M, thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I am happy you had a restful sleep on our new mattresses which were added recently. Our property is not in a direct flight path which certainly reduces noise along with our high quality windows which are designed to reduce noise. I am sorry to read you were not happy with the breakfast offering. If there is anything more specific you would like to discuss please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,

Anto Vrdoljak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

After a long travel day it was indeed a delight to stop here for the night. The staff were extremely friendly, from the front desk personnel to the staff in The Bistro. The room was nicely decorated and had a little seating area with hide-a-bed. The sink area was separate from the bathroom. The menu at The Bistro was ample for both breakfast or an evening meal, where you can also enjoy a cocktail. They serve up mixed Starbucks drinks, not just Starbucks coffee. Had the tomato/mozzarella flat bread (wow oh wow delicious!) and grilled tuna sandwich. Perfect for a late evening dinner. The dining area and lounge area were spacious with several TV's, a fireplace and 2 computers in a business centre. Loads of places to plop yourself down. There is a 24 hour Market that offers light snacks and beverages, as well, complimentary coffee and tea are served in the morning. The free airport shuttle operates every 25 minutes and the attendants were a delight. Had two different attendants, both which were very personable and friendly. How nice to actually have a 'real' person call in the morning for a walk up call! There is a Greek Restaurant right next door, as well as several other restaurants within easy walking distance. For those that are driving, a Husky gas station is only half a block away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HotelGMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear CanadianMum, thank you so much for your kind words on your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport which I will share with our hard working associates. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and restaurant. My personal favorite item in The Bistro is the Barbeque Chicken Flatbread but the Tomato Mozzarella flatbread is certainly as great as you described! On July 1st we will be adding some additional exciting menu items, stay tuned!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and please feel free to stop by and say hello.

Regards,

Oldsmar, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I have been a business traveler for 15 years and have stayed in many Courtyards in those years. This visit took me back a long way. Like most Courtyard properties the lobby has been fully renovated. This is purposeful as they have turned this area into a profit center rather than a processing center. Keep people in the lobby buying food and drink. The lobby here is nice but step into the elevator and be transported back 15 years. With the exception of some paint, a red accent wall in my room, the hallways and rooms were just as they were when I stayed in the Courtyards of 15 years ago. Same furniture, bathroom counters, tub, tile, everything. Thankfully the TV and possibly the linens had been replaced in that time.
You would think with all the money they spent to revitalize the lobby they would have put a few dollars into the rooms but I guess that might keep you in your room and not spending money downstairs!!

• Stayed April 2013
HotelGMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear dleslievol, although we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests I apologize that we did not on your recent stay with us. As you mentioned our lobby, restaurant and public areas have been fully renovated. In 2012 we also completed room refreshes as the first phase of our room upgrades which included new carpets, mattresses, box springs and freshly painted rooms. The last touch of 2012 was the addition of complimentary fiber optic internet access in the entire hotel.
In 2013 we will be continuing to upgrade our rooms and hope to welcome you back to see these changes.

Kind Regards,

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My experience at the hotel was horrible. The following week I left the hotel there was a charge
on my credit card in which was not discussed. After speaking with the manager, they insisted
that there was no way they could take it off due to it being on a "credit card". I felt very out
of place and would never recommend this hotel to anyone.
Mattress is also very uncomfortable. And rooms are not the cleanest/.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stephanie a, I apologize for the inconvenience you have written about. Our property has recently completed an entire room refresh which included new mattresses and box springs in the entire hotel. With respect to your billing problem as the General Manager I do not recall any conversations regarding billing issues and if an error has been made on our part it will certainly be rectified. I have sent you a separate message with my contact information and welcome you to contact me directly to further discuss your billing and cleanliness concerns as we had no such concerns brought to our attention.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I travel to Toronto for work fairly regularly so I get a chance to stay at different hotels. The Courtyard by Marriott is an average hotel. It's a bit older and some of the rooms look it however, it's not by any means a wreck or anything. It's clean, the cleaning service seems professional and prompt and in general an acceptable place to stay however I have stayed at nicer hotels in the same area for less. I do have to say the beds are comfortable, no complaints there.

Things to be aware of: there is no "restaurant" in this hotel so if you're hoping to find a hotel where you actually have a place to sit and eat, there is not an actual restaurant. There is a bistro style bar in the main floor where you can get light/simple meals there such as a burger (btw - it was clear to me the patty was a frozen patty that was defrosted and then cooked on a flat-top/grill), sandwiches, breakfast foods, etc. but it is a fairly simple menu. There are some spots to sit at the bar style counter and some lounge type seating areas and tables but it's limited. There is a "tuck" shop but it is very small and reminiscent of the small closet type tuck shops you see at high schools where you come to a counter style half door and select from a very small array of goods that you can see all from the door. It's better than nothing but as I said, I've stayed at other hotels that are much nicer and cheaper.

I tend to use the fitness facilities if they are available and yes, this hotel has them but the fitness "centre" is very small and the equipment is limited to mostly cardio type elipticals, stair climbers and treadmills and they are packed into the small room. The room has large window/glass walls that allow you to look into the parking lot and allow a lot of natural light so that's nice (the light part that is). The pool and hot tub are nice and look clean.

Overall, the facility is clean acceptable.

Room Tip: One thing to note, if you decide to stay here, avoid the East to North East side of the building as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelGMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear alany72, thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
Although we strive to exceed our customers expectations I apologize that we did not do this for you.

Our new concept restaurant is somewhat different then our previous breakfast buffet option. The New "Bistro" offers breakfast and dinner seven days a week with more healthier sit down and grab and go options. Our goal is to give guests calorie options and our recent addition to the menu offers more breakfast and dinner options we hope you can try on your next stay with us.

I appreciate your kind words about our cleaning staff and although we have just compelted renovations to our lobby and restaurant area's we will also be looking at providing some additional enhancements to our fitness room as well.

Should you have any further comments please feel free to reach out to me directly and thank you for the feedback.
Bella Vista, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Checked in last night due to a canceled flight. The lobby of the hotel is really nice and is in line with most of the new and remodeled Courtyards I've been to. Unfortunately the rest of the hotel has not been remodeled yet. Furniture in the room is dated and chipped. The bed is extremely hard and uncomfortable. The carpet appears worn and dirty. The lamp on the desk has one power outlet, but there are no outlets on bedside tables. If you move the bedside table back you can reach and outlet behind the mattress. The wireless internet is a little flaky. Didn't seem to want to stay connected. A little bit of aircraft noise early in the morning. Putting the air conditioner fan "on" instead of "auto" seemed to drown it out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelGMCourtyard, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Mike W, thank you for your review during your recent flight cancellation in Toronto. Although we strive to exceed our customer expectations I apologize that we have not done so. You are correct that our entire main floor was renovated and along with this all our guest rooms were refreshed. New carpet, mattresses and box springs were all added in with the final touch being Fiber Optic internet added in December 2012 which has increased the speed of our internet by about 10x regular cable speed. That said there are outages that may happen from time to time and I apologize if this was the case during your stay.

We hope to welcome you again and I invite you to contact me directly if you are in the area again and I will personally inspect your guest room and ensure your internet strength is verified as well.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

First time back in Canada in about 3 years and was looking for a Marriott property near the airport for a short business meeting stay. This hotel is collocated with a Residence Inn next door. After getting my bags, I called the hotel for a courtesy van pickup and waited about 10-15 minutes to be picked up. We went straight to the hotel which is about 7km from the airport. Check in was quick and easy as usual. Since it was early evening, the Bistro was open for dinner. After 8+ hours, 2 delayed flights and over an hour waiting in immigration, I was more than ready for some dinner and a couple Crown Royals. The room was totally clean and ready for use with no problems. The hotel has a 24 hour fitness room equipped with 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and 1 regular bike. All but the bike have integral TV's with iPod interfaces and remote control. Weight bench and some dumbbells are also available. Equipment appears to be in very good condition. There is also a pool and spa. I had breakfast the next day and, as usual, it was great and just enough to hold me over til lunchtime. Too bad there is no lunch service at the Bistro. With no car, I was at the mercy of the hotel shuttle which ended up having time to take me down the street (pouring rain, 5C and foggy) for a quick take-out sandwich and soup. Thanks very much Mr. shuttle driver!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tech-trekker, thank you for your kind words on your recent stay with us.
Comments such as yours inspire our team and I will certainly share your comments with them.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport? Share your experiences!