“wonderful service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Toca Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #213 of 6,560 restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: St. Andrew (King) Subway station
Description: The Ritz Bar at the vibrant epicenter of the theater district is an urban gathering spot where cosmopolitan chic meets handcrafted cocktails. Enjoy drinks infused with fresh herbs, from Toronto’s first indoor herb garden. A true “garden to glass” beverage experience with sharing appetizers and delicious small bites.
“wonderful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Chef Tom Brodis' Canadian inspired menu is loaded with interesting and seasonal dishes. Today my family joined me in celebrating my sisters birthday. The five of us brought our appetites. I was able to try a little of everything and since this is my review, you're going to hear about my favorites. Naturally Raised Cumbrae farm beef tartar with a Yukon pomme pont neuf is pure genius. Cute house-made pickled onions and peppers flirt with the tartare on a crisp toast making magic. Another notable mention is the fancy fish and chips. Mill Street beer battered yarmouth lobster fries with espelette tartare is so unbelievably good that words cannot describe it. The featherlike batter being so light and so crisp angels must be in kitchen. Now dip the lobster into the crunchy espelette tartare and you're on a rocket straight to heaven. Get the entrée size because its hands down the best fish and chips in the city! Pan Seared East Coast Scallops were surprising dull, served with blue potatoes, sour cream and salmon caviar. Scallops were old and rubbery. Can you believe its lobster season again? A special risotto with fresh peas, moral mushrooms, and half a yarmouth lobster topped in its own foam was exquisite. On the opposite end of the spectrum my baked organic rock hen looked like a dried out cow-pie with rock hard beets scattered all over my plate. Sigh. Last but not least was the Bone-In Wellington County Beef Tenderloin 16oz. Aged 45 days to pure perfection. Aged meat is more complex in flavour and richer in taste, like sweet butter. Just a marvelous way to end my meal.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Mediocre service ... inconsistent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently had dinner with seven business colleagues at Toca. It was decidedly a mixed experience which is why I've given the restaurant only a three star rating.

For starters we asked our waitress to bring a selection of appetizers from the menu. This was perhaps the best part of the meal - very tasty steak tartare, a velvety smooth hummus, smoked trout, mushroom ragout and more. The only issue was far too much food was brought to the table - was our waitress trying to pad the bill?!

I ordered the 14 oz strip loin for my main course. I requested it be cooked medium rare and it was served medium. It was also somewhat dry and challenging to eat - not what I was expecting for $39.

For dessert the table decided to share a cheese platter from the incredible selection Toca has stored in their cheese cave. The portions were quite tiny but the cheese was pretty good.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is with respect to the service. Our waitress was disinterested, slow serving our food and topping up our wine and at times rude (for example, when we were having pre-dinner drinks near our table she barged right through our group without so much as muttering a word).

I was certainly expecting a better dining experience. However, I would be willing to try the restaurant again and see if the food/service can rise to my expectations for a Ritz Carlton.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“mediocre for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a nice dinner with some good friends to celebrate a 50th birthday. We had the price fixed menu and thought it was fine....they removed the fancy fish and chips from the menu (lobster fish and chips), which was a big bummer. They changed the menu which was mediocre compared to the menu they had last year. The service was less than attentive on that night...we had to ask for bread 3 times before they finally delivered it. Our server was very nice but we had a hard time understanding his accent. I wouldnt say it was a bad night but I can say the service and menu changed since the last time I was there.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Very nice spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We booked a table for our work Christmas party in Dec and selected a pre-fix menu list. We were all very pleased with each course and the generous portion size. The staff were very knowledgable, went for the cheese room tour. Lovely atmosphere overall!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Superb Canadian cuisine. The market brunch I highly recommend. The service is excellent. The cuisine is wonderful. One of the best restaurants in the city.

Visited August 2012