“Other hotels need to learn from Trump Toronto” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   325 Bay St, Toronto, Ontario M5H 4G3, Canada (Downtown Toronto)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Rise and Dine
Ranked #1 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Edinburgh
“Other hotels need to learn from Trump Toronto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Where do I begin. Simply the best hotel experience my wife and I have ever had.

Positives:
- Norbert the doorman. Chatted away to us every time we saw him and he really made us feel like he cared about our stay. From giving us tips for breakfast (Sunset Grill is the place to go!) to asking us if he could help organise a limo (for a very reasonable price) back to Pearson airport, he really was a walking advert for the hotel from the moment we arrived until the moment we left.
- Fitness room was superb and never busy (although a slight pest that you had to go through the spa area to a separate lift to the 32nd floor where it was located). Loved that there was beautiful fruit, water, disposable headphones and newspapers left out. Most importantly, it was kept to a high standard of cleanliness.
- I never actually used the swimming pool, but it looked fantastic with loungers around it with beautiful city views. I had assumed before arriving that it would be very busy but I never actually saw anyone using it (I popped in several times) and only once saw someone sitting in one of the loungers.
- Loved that fact that the General Manager Mickael Damelincourt was so visible. We bumped in to him soon after checking-in while in a lift (without realising who he was). He asked us about our stay before letting us know that if there was anything that he could do for us just to let him know, then giving us his business card. Now THAT'S how to make the right impression. On another occasion while I was in the fitness room he came in to look around, obviously observed something slightly out of place - spoke quietly in to a radio system, and within moments housekeeping had appeared.
- I have never stayed in a hotel where the housekeeping staff actually write you a thank you note every time you leave them a tip. No, seriously, they did. They also did a fantastic job, e.g. I drink a lot of coffee and loved the in-room Nespresso machine - I would leave notes asking for extra milk and they would not only leave me a large number of milk cartons but then also began leaving me a larger number of Nespresso pods each day as well. On one occasion I managed to let the door close to my room with my room card inside - one of the housekeeping staff not only let me into my room but then offered my wife some Trump chocolates.
- Absolutely loved the fact that the hotel makes an effort to log your preferences prior to arrival and then implement them the whole time you are there. As a small example, we expressed a preference for jazz music - so every night we would come back to the room to find jazz music playing at a low level on the music system with the lights dimmed, our bathrobes laid out across the bed and some comp water and Trump chocolates left for us. They even had noted our preference for snacks and drinks and left the room stocked accordingly. Loved it.
- The room (standard room on a higher floor) was the definition of luxury. My wife loved the deep bath in the bathroom as well as the two separate sink areas.
- The greeting from everyone whenever we entered or left the hotel was fantastic. It was also a nice touch that the reception area team were obviously using a radiomic sysem so when you had a conversation with one of them the others as you checked in or checked out the other staff would come over and assist you using your name.
- The hotel is obviously at the top-end of the luxury market but never felt "stuffy".
- The high-tech control panels for the lighting, drapes and underfloor heating were a really nice touch. Loved that they had motion sensors so you just waved your hand in front and they illuminated so you could then change them.
- The bedding is wonderful. You will sleep like an angel - and if you don't then there is a full "pillow menu" to take advantage of.
- The location of the hotel is ideal for tourists. You're 5 minutes walk from the Eaton Centre (and the awesome Urban Eatery in its basement!) and perhaps slightly more to Union Station. There's a couple of underground stations very close by on the YUS line and you can easily walk to the Harbourfront or CN tower, etc.

Negatives:
- This is a struggle. If I'm being really picky I did find it a bit over-the-top that upon arrival I obviously tipped the doorman for taking in the bags, but then the individual who checked us in to our room then didn't just give us the room cards but also took us up to the room - she didn't actually show us anything about the room though (and stated that our baggage would be brought up separately and then we would be given a guide to the room) so I was momentarily confused as to whether to tip her as well for what I perceived to be a slightly pointless exercise. When she left the room the baggage arrived a few moments later and the porter gave us an excellent guide to the room (and I obviously tipped him). For me, it was not necessary to simply be shown to my room with no other service in mind and it did actually make me feel a bit uneasy about the "tipping etiquette" of the situation. Maybe that's just me though...
- The AC control was a little unresponsive/sluggish and sometimes took a bit of effort to get to the temp setting required.
- The in-room safe is really small. We had a constant struggle trying to fit our valuables in to it before going out. You'd think that in a hotel like this it would be a given that they would anticipate their guests would want a reasonable size safe, but it was one of the smallest we've come across on our travels. Mind you, I'm fairly certain that had I bothered to complain then there would have been another safe specially brought up to the room - it was just that kind of service at all times.
- It was a (small) pain that hotel residents didn't have access to any ice machines. As part of the turndown service a bucket of ice would usually be left, but on one occasion this was not done and I had to phone reception to get some ice brought up. Obviously this necessitated a small tip as well as the wait, and I wished that I could have just had access to an ice machine as and when I wanted some.

Conclusion:
- You read reviews about places like this and probably think (like we did) that "it's probably nice but it can't be THAT good". It is. The Trump Toronto is now the hotel by which we will judge every other hotel we stay in and if we are fortunate enough to return to Toronto in the future it is the only place we would stay. Considering the level of luxury and service provided it is well worth the slight price premium you pay for staying here, and you will simply not want to leave. This place is hotel heaven and the management and staff have put together a superlative experience that is guaranteed to match or exceed your expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Though it makes my liberal heart ache a little, I will say one thing about the Trump Brand: they UNDERSTAND customer service philosophy, and do it like few others in the city. This property bends over backwards to make you feel welcome, above and beyond.

Stayed here for only one evening in June, and were offered an upgrade to a suite and a 4:00 PM checkout for a nominal cost. These rooms are elegant and trendy, without coming across cold and soulless like some other properties in Downtown Toronto. They are certainly not pretentious.

I think there may be an (incorrect) assumption that driving up to this hotel in a Hyundai, rather than a Jaguar will yield less than favourable service. Nothing could be further from the truth; the staff here is kind and attentive, showing empathy and treating everyone like royalty.

The in-room breakfast was tremendous, and very reasonably priced for the quality (and quantity) received.

And TV in the bathroom mirror. Love it.

The ONLY thing that was an issue (and it is a terribly minor thing) is that the chocolate in the mini-bar was past its best-before date. A very minor detail which we didn't even bother to report to the staff. Though, if we did, I am one hundred percent confident that the issue would have been rectified, and promptly.

As I continue the quest to find a property in Downtown Toronto with which to remain loyal, I am thinking Trump is head and shoulders above most others when one is looking to get a bit "splashy". I really can't wait to return, and sample the dinner menu, and other services that we simply did not have time for.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite -- it is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is what I expected from a Trump Hotel and then some.

Service was over the top. I felt like royalty. More importantly, after I forgot something important in my room after check out that I needed urgently, the desk staff made a concerted effort to help me find the item quickly. This said something about the people who have been hired, not just the systems in place.

It is difficult to rate my room because I was upgraded to a Suite when I arrived, as there was a special promotion. The room I had was stunning. Large, beautiful, opulent. It may not be representative of other rooms, But I sense the quality for all rooms is comparable, even though the suites give you a bigger room and possibly more amenities.

I found the rates that I was charged to be reasonable for a hotel at this level and the location great. I suspect the rates may begin to creep up as this new hotel starts to fill up, but until then, this is a great choice.

I heard that the food in the hotel was crazy over priced, but I went out to eat so didn't check.

Room Tip: This is a busy part of town. I suggest higher up is better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Both concierges,Andrea & Genevieve, with whom I dealt with during my 4 days at the Trump hotel were exceptional. So courteous, professional,helpful & patient! It was my first trip toToronto & they made it so interesting and enjoyable. Great service throughout this well located property...I would definitely recommend it.

Montpellier, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed there for a one week seminar.
Lighting of the rooms have been thought, room size is generous, the swimming pool on the 32th floor is great and big enough for real swims.
Didin't like the lobby, to small, but the rooms are great and luxurious.

Loved it

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Aside from the five star amenities, Trump provides guests with a unique style of customer service by delivering a sense of "personal touch" to any individual who walks through their door. I had a great experience and will continue to come back.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a king suite for 2 nights. We were spoiled rotten. The service was top notch. My favourite was the tv in the mirror in the bathroom. Can't forget the turndown service. The only complaint is that the heated floor in one of the bathrooms was out of service. :(

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto? Share your experiences!