“Excellent food and fun atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Mississauga
“Excellent food and fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to the Caledonian last Saturday for dinner and a flight of Scottish whiskies. We went expecting typical pub food. What we got was creative and delicious dinner specials and a regular menu that was generous and authentic. We had the smoked salmon appetizer and Coconut curry muscles. YUMMY! Next, I had the Lamb burger (tad dry but the feta/mint sauce made it; not gamy at all) with a side of haggis. VERY filling. The Haggis was moist and flavourful. But I should have shared, my stomach was bursting at the seams. My mouth is watering at the memory just writing this review! My honey ordered the trout special with lemon dill sauce and it looked like something you'd receive at a high end hotel restaurant. Lastly, sticky toffee pudding for dessert. OMG my tastebuds were dancing. The flights for tasting is a great idea. Thanks Caledonian for a wonderful experience. Our waitress was very friendly and quite knowledgeable about their Scotch offerings. We were impressed and will certainly return. Street parking is a challenge, but isn't it everywhere in Toronto? Our only advice is to get there for an early dinner. By the time I ordered my lamb burger, they only had two left, and this was about 7 p.m.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I came here with friends for a reunion dinner (we had all met in Scotland). Everyone enjoyed their food immensely, and the mac and cheese is particularly noteworthy. Make reservations if you can, as this place can fill up quick! We went on a Saturday night, and the atmosphere was amazing. It's a great place if you want to sit and talk with your companions, or watch the game. Only issues we faced included waiting almost an hour for our food, and one of our waitresses expressed blatant frustration with our table when she brought an incorrect dish and we asked for the correct food. They were very busy that evening, which might account for both issues, however since many people come on the weekend, it's worth being aware of these aspects.

Will definitely visit again - in particular for the mac and cheese!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Scottish pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Good pub food and excellent Haggis. Great choice of beers and scotch. Reasonable prices and good atmosphere. Very friendly.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“The Caledonian is SERIOUS about their whiskies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The owners, Donna and David, are friendly and passionate about their Scottish whiskies. They have over 150 malts and blends available and even a rare bottle of whisky that goes for $200 per oz! Insanity. At least you know they're packing quality stuff here.

There's a "Taste of Scotland" whisky tasting experience happening on May 4th @ 5pm to 7pm: http://experiences.joylister.com/experiences/scotch-tasting-caledonian/

You get to try a whisky from each of the regions of Scotland and Donna herself is leading the tasting. Definitely a great way to learn and appreciate more about whisky.

I haven't tried the food yet but that'll be the next thing on my list.

Visited April 2013
“Amazing Staff. Beautiful Atmosphere. Tasty Authentic Scottish Food with a Twist.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This place has got to be by far one of my favourite restaurants in Toronto and the only real Scottish restaurant in Toronto! I started coming here early this summer with my boyfriend as he is Scottish and enjoys this place for authentic Scottish fare (and authentic Scottish Drinks of course!) We quickly were introduced to the wonderful staff and owner. Every time we go in we feel like family!

Food - The Chef here is phenomenal! Everything I have tried has been cooked well, is presented beautifully, and most importantly...tastes great! The portions and prices are reasonable as well!

Drinks - Full bar. Lots of beer on tap. Big bar. Premium Bottles. Whiskey tastings... Need I say more?

Atmosphere - Just dim enough to be cozy with candles going. Definitely warm enough to get the Toronto wind out of your bones, and a great private, shaded patio for the summer season!

Staff - Friendly, outgoing, knowledgable, intelligent... Some of the best staff I have ever seen all under one roof!

Thanks for such a wonderful experience every time!