“Some great aspects, room just a little pedestrian for the price and the value is questionable.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G7, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$400 Hotel Credit
Ranked #5 of 140 Hotels in Toronto
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton in Toronto has a lot going for it:
1) Staff is friendly and professional. The guy who checked me in remembered me by name every time I returned to the hotel and I think this is always a nice touch, especially in a large hotel.
2) The rooms are quiet.
3) The baths are really well laid out and spacious, with a nice soaking tub and excellent separate shower.
4) The bed is comfortable.
5) I had an outdoor veranda with my room (room 603), not huge but it was nice.
The hotel, to me, has some downsides as well:
1) Nickel-and-diming people for internet. At this price point, stop doing this. It looks cheap and if you can't just roll the CAD 9.95 a day into the rate, then you are not very creative. This is one of the most annoying aspects of the large American chains such as Ritz, Hilton, Marriott, etc.
2) The room was too generic. It really, to me, was almost the same as staying in a Marriott or Hilton. Same layout, same linens, same furniture really. It should not be at this price point. The design of the room was also, frankly, boring.

I wanted to like this hotel even more, but it just isn't distinctive enough in my opinion. The price needs to be lower, in my opinion.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is all about location, comfort and service. We stayed on the club floor and it was hard to leave the hotel. Great food, friendly, really helpful staff and close to the Entertainment District in Toronto, as well as the waterfront, CN Tower and brand new aquarium. Look for the tv in the bathroom mirror - great touch! Visit the pool and spa. Even though the hotel was packed, the spa was never crowded and the two relaxation rooms are the perfect place for a cup of herbal tea, a long read or a nap. The air in Toronto is dry, but when I left, my skin looked perfect. The concierge is very helpful in finding tickets for live theatre or suggesting things to do in Toronto. This might be my new favourite hotel! Also the lobby restaurants have great bartenders and chefs and lots of interesting people watching. Defiantly highly recommended for a luxury stay in Toronto.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south offer a stunning view of Toronto Island, Lake Ontario and the CN tower, but all t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have nothing but praise for this hotel and a 20th Anniversary treat for the ages. Upon arrival, the valet simply asked for the name to put on the key tag and by the time we walked 20 feet to the door, the door man wished us a happy anniversary which was followed by 4 different staff in the lobby wishing us a happy anniversary between the door and elevator, they certainly have communication and making guests feel special down to an art.

We booked a Club Floor room which is highly recommended, you won't find a better chain club floor in terms of lounge, staff, food and drink offerings. We were greeted again with Happy Anniversary without being announced on the club floor and offered an upgrade in honour of our anniversary. I'm thinking from lake view room to jr suite, but to our amazement, we were given the Presidential Suite, the past home to actual Presidents and Oprah. This suite was 2,400 sq.ft. with full kitchen, dining room, living room, den, bedroom, gym, walk-in closet, two bathrooms and 5 TV's, simply amazing. The hotel has a great vibe at night as it is bustling with people in the lobby and the half day spent at the pool and in the spa was very relaxing with excellent facilities. While we were fortunate enough to receive a rare special upgrade, even without the upgrade, it would not have diminished the excellent hotel facilities and exceptional service received. This hotel is right up there with The Savoy in regard to making you feel like a guest and not a customer.

Room Tip: Book the Club Floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
london, ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at quite a few RC's over the last few months. I would have to say RC Toronto is one of the best, especially love the service on their club floor. Scott and his team are always unfailingly polite, going the extra mile no matter the request. Last stay was in September, unfortunately can't; get back to sometime in the new year, looking forward to a return trip

Room Tip: Go for club level, definitely worth it, but you will be well treated no matter what you book.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is the spot to stay, from the bar attached to the lobby to the amazing rooms, this is the spot. The service was great at check-in and the valet guys had great input to other options besides valet (if I'm parking my car for 3 days straight and won't see it, I don't need to pay the expense of valet).

Rooms were of decent size (had 2 queen size beds), and the sheets were amazing. Of course the towels were oversized like most Ritz's...a feature I really like.

Best part, after a long night out, an early morning swim in the salt pool is awesome.

This is the place to be seen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

After trying other luxury hotels in downtown TO (Four Seasons, Sangri-la, Trump and Windsor Arms) we have settled for the Ritz as our preferred hotel for stays during weekend visits to the city. The location is particularly convenient for the Opera House, Theatres, AGO or TIFF Lightbox center among other ammenities

The hotel has a lot to offer aside from the outstanding rooms. Great dinning at TOCA, fun entertainment late night drinks at DEQ and a superb SPA where we could spend entire days....

The service is first notch and everybody smiles to you no matter where you are; they are definitively committed to make your stay pleasurable and want to make sure that you are coming back

Small details that got my attention: fresh flowers in every corner, impeccable valet service and care of the front door, heated floors in the room washroom, subtle but always present security, etc...

The spa is, in my view, the best in town and worth to visit even if you are not staying in the hotel, gym facilities, indoor pool and other amenities in the spa are fantastic.

Our room was not ready when we checked in and got an upgrade to a corner suit without asking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Overall, I was disappointed with my stay. I called the hotel ahead of time to say that I would be staying at the hotel to celebrate an anniversary. I paid for a room on the Club Level and asked ahead of time if I could have a view of the Cien Tower. When we checked in there were no club level rooms facing the Cien Tower and we were put in a room right next to the elevators. There was also no mention of our anniversary. I called the hotel ahead of time to say that we were celebrating a special occasion and it would have been nice for some acknowledgement of that. Oh well, this was not a big deal.

Next, we went to the Club Lounge to enjoy a beverage and a snack. I found the service here to be absolutely dreadful. Scott from the Club Lounge should not be in an area where exceptional service is expected. Scott was rude and made me feel like I was bothering him with my requests. We did not stay in the lounge for very long, and I was beginning to regret paying the extra money to upgrade.

We really enjoyed our couples massage in the spa. Jill the spa manager, made sure everything was perfect and she was extremely helpful and accommodating.

We did not eat at the hotel because we wanted to explore the city of Toronto. However, the next time I am back in Toronto, I will not be staying in the Ritz. I will be staying at the Trump. I was not wowed by any aspect of this hotel and the service was not impressive at all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto? Share your experiences!