“A Stay-cation that felt like anything but!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G7, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit + More
Ranked #4 of 141 hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“A Stay-cation that felt like anything but!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I recently decided to spice up the drab, cold and grey January with a weekend getaway in our own city. Work commitments have only given us between Friday 7pm and Monday 6am as our free time, and as such, have squashed any opportunity to flee the city to anywhere far. As spa gluttons, I had decided to surprise her by booking us some Saturday treatments at their spa, which is one of our favourites in the city. The spa concierge asked me if we would like to take advantage of their offer, which basically provided Hotel Credit for guests of the hotel, and I decided on the spot to get us a room for the weekend. It was 2 pm on Friday, so I didn't have high hopes, but I was pleased to learn that they had availability, so I booked on the spot. Immediately after work, we packed our bags, and drove down the street to the hotel. Now, I know it may sound foolish to spend money on a hotel in your own city, but the experience that we had at the hotel made it feel as if we were exploring a new city! Every aspect of our service was fantastic, and to be honest, I was a little bit surprised, as living here has gotten me used to the 'who cares' attitude that a lot of the Toronto hipsters (who make up most of the service industry) seem to have (i.e, at a restaurant when you ask for some fresh pepper and they roll their eyes and say 'I guess' and slowly walk away to get it). The service here was incredible and the attention to detail was meticulous. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are beautiful; the floor to ceiling windows and beautiful view of the CN Tower and Lake prompted us to spend the first hour after checking in by enjoying some champagne and cheese while looking out the window at something we see every day! The furniture, interior decorating and amenities were excellent, and the heated bathroom floors were a welcome treat. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were luxurious. We ordered room service twice and ate at DEQ, and ate every bite. WIth the room service, I was impressed by how quickly the food arrived (whether it was our 2 am mac and cheese after a night bar hopping or the 10 am breakfast on Sunday morning) and how fresh and hot the food was. All of the menus have a creative selection of food and the prices are reasonable.
What prompted us to stay at this hotel was ultimately the spa, and I wanted to devote some of this review to share our love for this spa. We have tried all of the spas in the city, and with the recent boom in luxury hotels in Toronto, an increase in the number of quality spas has subsequently increased, and we feel that this spa (tied withe the Shangri-La) is the best spa in town. The changing rooms are meticulous and the spa Attendants are not too intrusive but also not too absent. The whirpool and massive steam room are incredible: clean, comfortable and visually pleasing, and this area allows you to relax both before and after your treatment. The treatment rooms are beautiful (especially the couples room - try it for a bath!) and the therapists are incredible. The icing on the cake is the wonderful relaxation area, which unlike most spas, is a Couples area. They have an excellent selection of teas and snacks, and you can receive full food service as well. The plush sofas and comfortable blankets and pillows are great to snuggle up into after a treatment and we easily spend another 1-2 hours in this area after our treatment.
The staff in all departments go far beyond the call of duty to provide a 5 star experience and I will definitely recommend this to colleagues who are visiting the city for business or pleasure.
While I find that this hotel chain has variability, with some of their hotels being mind-blowing and others being so-so, I feel that the Toronto Ritz-Carlton is one of their better hotels.

Room Tip: Get a view of the CN Tower and say far away from the elevator. A lot of pro sports teams stay here w...

528 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Woodbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was invited to a business meeting by my investment advisors. I valet my car and was escorted to the banquet rooms. I was given a name tag and walked in to a crowd of friendly people. There was an army of hostesses serving drinks and incredible food. The view was spectacular. Windows floor to ceiling really showed off our great city, as well as this luxurious hotel. After mingling a bit, we went into the main ballroom. The room was breathtaking. All the tables were set up to impress. The food was fantastic. The service even better. After some drinks and socializing, I went to the main lobby to the reception desk to pick up my room key. I was awed by the luxury and size of the main lobby. I could not stop staring, as I made my way to the elevator and up to my room. What a room. The bed was so inviting, but I wanted to explore. There was an area for relaxing and everything to catch up on business. The washrooms were a dream. Big bath tub for relaxing and plenty of room to enjoy the comfort. The towels were large and soft. There was shoes, soft robes and enough special soap and shampoo to enjoy and take home. I had a great rest and nice dreams. After a warm shower, and pampering myself, I made my way to the restaurant for breakfast. I was given a table with a great view of the hotel and the busy city street. The buffet breakfast was amazing. Fruits and delicacies from all over the world. My dish was over flowing, and then I noticed the omelet station and warm waffles and pancakes. Wow. My stay was memorable and I didn't want to leave. I definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure, or just for breakfast or dinner. I will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms have good view of the city. The higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having spent the weekend at the Ritz, without doubt a 5 star hotel! Check in was fast and efficient, warmly great by everyone. Our room was very nice with a great view of the CN Tower, the bed is heavenly. Had drinks and something to eat at DEQ'S the first night, the food, service, and atmosphere were ideal; the calamari was awesome! The second night we had drinks in the main Ritz bar, again good service and nice atmosphere. Special thanks to David, at the front desk, and as well the concierge, apologies forgot her name, for helping us located some event tickets. We loved our stay, highly recommend. Also this hotel is located near everything but not next to everything thus the hotel is not in a noisy area, but perfectly located for the business and financial area and it is a short cab ride to everywhere else you want to go to in downtown Toronto

Room Tip: Room facing the CN Tower is nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Everyone from from our sales rep to all the staff at the hotel made it a perfect weekend getaway. Our rep was amazing in taking care of everything we wanted. We were there to celebrate my husband's birthday and all of the staff did an excellent job of making it truly special. We were greeted by name every where we went, which was great. Amazing view of the CN tower from the pool/whirlpool. Best 5* we have stayed at anywhere in the world, can't wait to do it again soon!

Room Tip: Corner suites
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Ritz in Toronto is outstanding from check in to check out. Friendly, welcoming, informative from check in to check out. The 20th floor is worth the extra spend. This is truly a treat. We also visited the spa which was beautiful. The lounge area inbetween treatments is spectacular. Decor is cream and orange with lovely grey cashmere blankets to keep warm. The soaring ceiling with and light fixtures pulls it all together. I look forward to returning for my next staycation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

With no doubt one of my best experiences at a hotel, worldwide. They just MADE IT!

I arrived and was greeted at the door by my name when the doorman had read my luggage tag after getting it out of the car. Immediately escorted to the front desk where i was checked in is LESS THAN A MINUTE which was great as I was not feeling good. I was also escorted to the room (19th floor) where I had spectacular views over the lake and the famous tower.

Big size room equipped with Nespresso machine, iphone docking station, big bathtub, rainshower, TV in the bathroom. What surprised me the most is that the hotel looked BRAND NEW and apparently it has been opened for about 3 years. Everything was impeccable to be honest. You really have a comfortable feel with a perfect balance between functionality and sophistication.

But the thing that I was most impressed about and most important was the service. I have never felt so special. When the in-room dining lady (Czech) came to bring me dinner, she offered to buy some pills for me and asked if i needed anything else. When coming in again to pick up the plates she brought me a drink (I don't know the brand it was in a can like coca cola) which she said would calm my throat. I was impressed by her attention and she really demonstrated she was caring to me. THANK YOU!!!! All staff throughout the hotel was always greeting you no matter how many times you passed by or even if they were busy with other guests.

Breakfast was excellent as well, with a good variety of hot dishes. However the ceramic lids are sooo heavy!!! Again service was impeccable.

The bar had a very nice waitress who introduced herself for whatever we would need and we really felt comfortable.

Space for improvement? The pressure on the shower which was low for my liking. However all the rest compensated that.

Being myself a hotelier of a competitor brand of Ritz Carlton, I can honestly suggest this hotel as the place to be in Toronto. They truly work hard to make you happy. THANK YOU to all the team!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

On arrival the doorman offers to take our baggage, which we gladly oblige. We then check in at the front desk. The manager comes to greet us by name without asking who we are, and whisk us to the Club lounge for check in. We are seated and the reception package is all ready, and we are offered welcome drinks. The front desk manager then gives us a tour our room and we have a nice chat. It looks as if they are anticipating our arrival, and how they greet us by name without us introducing ourselves still elude us.

Facility is what you expect from Ritz-Carlton, service is unruffled and attentive. You feel welcome all the way. The Club lounge serves breakfast, lunch, snacks, hors d'oeuvre, sweets all day long. Access to spa facilities. Everything seems effortless and yet efficient.

And here's the point: I have a year round code at 55% off regular weekend rates. So for the price of Renaissance you get Ritz-Carlton. If this is not 5 star value what can it be?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto? Share your experiences!